9 comments

Fiction Crime Suspense

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

"Can you give us any comment on your latest triumph?" Camilla silently substituted the word 'triumph' for 'murder'. Outdated though the term was, she still liked to use it privately.


"The Brixham one?" Camilla nodded. Her older brother had covered the story; Ordinary murder made headline news by the popularity of the killer. And to think that she was interviewing him herself!


"There's nothing much to say." The restaurant was busy and the man had to shout although they were only a table apart. "My employer paid less than my average rate, but to be completely honest I haven't had a job for a while. It was the best I could get." He shrugged.


Camilla scribbled in her notebook, embellishing his statements a little because she knew her brother always did. So he was mercenary! Fantastic! Finally, a motive. She could see the headlines now.


"May I ask if you have a new employment yet?"


"You may ask," he said grandly.


Camilla waited, but he didn't continue. She asked him another question, leaning forward in her eagerness.


"We have 26 of your murders on record. Are there any more?"


The mercenary turned green, then red, and Camilla cursed herself for using the word 'murder' in front of him.


She had forgotten that murderers had a curious aversion to the word; they preferred to say they were 'playing God'. She herself preferred to plainly call it 'murder'. Despite religion's decreasing popularity, she still believed in God, and thought it was blasphemous.


Camilla apologised, but it seemed no good. The man excused himself and walked off.


Sitting alone at the table, surrounded by the ordinary bustle of a busy Saturday night, Camilla thought. She thought back to that morning, a week before.


Roddie (her brother Roderick) was out when the letter came. It had been addressed to him, with his name in big, printed letters. She really shouldn't have opened it, but she couldn't resist just one little peak.


The writer of the letter accepted Mr. Carlisle's invitation to a dinner interview, asking if it could possibly be delayed to the 2nd of June, as he had some urgent business on the date named?


It had been easy, Camilla thought, just to change the date from 2nd to 3rd, and wait for Roddie to come home.


She had felt a little guilty afterwards, but, she thought, it wasn't that bad, was it? It was about time for the spotlight to focus another Carlisle.


Her thoughts were interrupted by the waiter's return with their first courses.


"And where is your companion, Madam?" He asked.


She murmured something vague about something urgent coming up and said that he could take the second plate away, but to her surprise the mercenary reappeared.


"I'm sorry for leaving so suddenly. Could we possibly continue the interview?" he said. He sat down and gave her an apologetic, boyish smile. Just like his great-grandfather, thought Camilla absent-mindedly. (She had been researching his family history the night before, eager for the upcoming interview.)


She drew her chair closer and once again took out her notebook. "I'm the one who should apologise. I was rude. I'm very sorry for offending you."


There was an uncomfortable silence as the waiter appeared out of nowhere to serve their second course.


When he had retreated, Camilla fired her companion a question.


"You said that you... Play God... By employment," she said, gently skirting around the forbidden word, "Have you tried any other types of - any other types?"


In her head Camilla reeled off the types: Mercenary, Gain, Mercy, Justice and the debatable fifth type, Passion. (Psychologists argued that Passion was a weak motive at most, with another of the five types behind it. Because of this, murderers who pleaded 'Passion' were considered weak in themselves.)


The man considered her question, then flushed. He spoke quickly. "Don't tell anyone about it, don't add it to your report and I'll tell you."


Camilla nodded, but her fingers already itched for her pen.


"I was young and irresponsible. No one was told... I strangled my first fiancé. And like the miserable worm that I was, when my parents heard of it and told me off (they were mercenary in their own way; My fiancé had been rich), I - I pleaded Passion."


Camilla choked down a gasp, then asked another question to cover it up. "When did you decide to become a mercenary?"


"I was 26. Significant, don't you think?" He continued without waiting for her answer. "I had tried various jobs, and eventually got one in a library, cataloguing.


I can't remember how, but one day I found an old one newspaper article on my great-grandfather. Believe it or not I'd never heard of him before.”


Camilla interrupted, “So you decided to become a – to play God, like he had, but for a living. And you took his method and stretched it to 26 – 26 times instead of his 4.”


The famous mercenary fiddled with his food. He looked at her oddly for a moment or two. “28,” he said.


“28?”


“Your earlier question. You asked if there were any more that weren't on record. I didn't answer; There were 2 more.” Camilla unconsciously shuddered.


“You're Roderick Carlisle's younger sister, aren't you?” The man asked irrelevantly. She nodded, looking down into her food. That was all anyone remembered her as.


The mercenary seemed to read her thoughts. “That's what you're known as, isn't it? You haven't been given a chance to be your own person, maybe to be famous on your own.” He smiled. “I know how that feels. Growing up I was overshadowed by my great-grandfather, and all I could see of him was the darkness that he cast on me.”


Camilla smiled back at him. It made her feel more comfortable to know they had that in common.


“You have to do something really amazing, really worth-while then, don't you? Something astounding that gives you your own light to shine. To cast your own shadow.”


They sat meditatively for a while, then her companion beckoned for a waiter. As the waiter weaved through the maze of seats to their table, the mercenary began again.


“I can see why my great-grandfather cast such a long shadow though. Imagine playing God four times, in a world where it was considered a crime. You had to be secretive about it, and extremely clever, or you were found out and hanged.” There was a light in his eyes that made Camilla shiver.


The waiter reached their table, and her companion whispered something to him that Camilla couldn't quite hear. She leant forward inquisitively and only just heard the waiter's reply. “Not in our restaurant please, Monsieur. Perhaps if you went outside? The night is not so busy.”


The mercenary turned to Camilla with a boyish grin, and she shrank back into her seat, only to rise again as he suggested for them to go outside.


The air was warm, with a faint, pleasing tingle. Camilla breathed it in deeply. Much better than the stuffy air inside!


“Camilla Carlisle of Churston,” said her companion. Then he repeated it. Camilla turned towards him.


“Yes?” she said.


He laughed, and his voice echoed along the empty street. “It's an alliterative name. A nice one.” He repeating it, staring vacantly at the house opposite.


Then he put a hand on Camilla's shoulder and faced her. She felt goose bumps prickle her skin like small thorns.


He reached out his other hand and clutched her throat. She couldn't breath, and the world slowly dissolved to black.











***



Full explanation in the comments.

August 24, 2023 09:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Rachel Culp
15:08 Sep 01, 2023

I very much enjoyed your story. I recently watched two Agatha Christie series on Prime. The three Cs of the character made me think of them especially. Your words seemed very purposeful, like you spent a lot of time rewriting, and improving (or maybe you are just that good). Overall, great work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kathleen Spencer
18:51 Aug 31, 2023

Your story starts out with an unusual interview and ends with death. It makes the reader hold on and pay attention to what's happening in your plot to the very end. Chilling, - I think after reading some of the comments left, that it could be put in the suspense category. (I've read some of Agatha Christie's novels, but I had forgotten about the information you put in your story.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:26 Aug 25, 2023

I like this❤️, but it feels like a great idea based off, perhaps, the wrong serial killer casting the original long shadow? I never would have guessed ABC killer without your explanation and that brought it together. Thank you. More importantly however ❤️ You took a risk with this. You swung Hard on a subject you obviously love, and that requires courage 💪 And perhaps not a home run, but you certainly didn't miss. 😎 Your writing felt more fluid, and very natural. The tone rang well. You got skills ❤️ Well done. Please keep swinging for...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amany Sayed
20:02 Aug 25, 2023

I really liked this and did think it was a good mystery. I'm kind of upset at the ending though- I don't like "it was just a dream" stories, and I think this story would have been better ended just with Camilla's death instead. It's more powerful that way. I read your explanation, and that's really interesting! This also kind of reminded me of the Arc of a Scythe trilogy, where death is eliminated and everyone is immortal, so there are "scythes" who "glean"(kill) people to control the population. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it...

Reply

15:49 Sep 04, 2023

Sorry for the late reply! I changed the dream part, I didn't like it either but I didn't want it to get too dark... I think you read my other account's stories so you know I was obviously darker then but I'm trying to keep it lighter on this one. I'll try to get the Arc of the Scythe trilogy, it sounds really interesting! Thanks for the comment :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
14:43 Aug 24, 2023

Well, Khadija, I liked the story and the title did fit. Unfortunately, all of the background details you describe in your comment did not come through for me at all maybe because I was not familiar with the ABC Murders. So thank you for the explanation. It made the story better for me. Thanks for liking my Killer Nashville letter.

Reply

18:45 Aug 24, 2023

Thanks for liking this and commenting! Sorry it didn't seem to make much sense... I would've left a comment on your Killer Nashville letter but I didn't know what to say 😅

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:55 Aug 24, 2023

Glad you liked it. It made my day:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
09:55 Aug 24, 2023

The references to the unnamed mercenary's great-grandfather is a reference to Agatha Christie's The ABC Murders. It was fun to write but I'm not sure if it's any good, I'm also not sure if it should have a Suspense tag. I should've written a spoiler alert as it gives away some things in the book but that would've ruined the whole thing... Well, spoiler alert for this post, so don't read any further if you want to read the ABC Murders! The mercenary's great-grandfather is Franklin Clarke, the murderer from that book. His method was ABC: Scr...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.