God Has a Sense of Humor: The Sacrificial Fawn part 2

Submitted into Contest #132 in response to: Write a story where a character is exploring their religious or spiritual identity.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Inspirational

    “Thanks for letting me use your carport,” I said as I went out to move her car.

   “Just put it back when you’re through,” Susan said as she watched one of her favorite game shows.

   Right after I pulled my little red Yaris in, a murder (group) of half a dozen crows flew down and perched on the fence surrounding the little yard in front of me—and not being very quiet about it. I went back inside.

   “What’s all that noise?” Susan asked.

   “A murder of crows,” I said as I went to the fridge. “I’ve fed them before while out on my bike. I’m just going to give them a few leftovers, and shoo them away.”

   Just as I go back outside my parents called; I picked it up. “Hello.”

   “How are you son?” Dad asked.

   “You hit a deer?” Mom asked.

   “Yea,” I replied as I rolled my eyes a bit. “First deer I’ve ever hit, and while coming down a treacherous canyon. If I had swerved, I might have rolled my little car down the pass and would’ve been history.”

   “I’m glad you didn’t swerve.” Mom said concerned.

   “Good for you,” Dad added. “Sounds like you have crows.”

   “I do, and some pesky ones,” I said as I tossed chicken scraps into the yard while one bravely stood on his post. I walked up to him. “You would not believe this, I’m feeding one of them from my hand.”

   “Crows are very smart,” Dad replied. “I’ve heard they can recognize your face.”

   “That makes sense. I’m working on the car now, so I can go to work tonight.”

   “How much damage?”

   “Not too much,” I said as I threw the rest of the scraps to the crows. “For now, duct tape and baling wire will have to do.”

   “Ok, We'll let you get that done.”

   “Be careful out there,” Mom added.”

   “I will, bye…Love you….”

—————————

   “How’s your car?” Jose asked as he briefly looked up while he and two other workers were busy inserting Sunday papers.

   “Good enough for now. I cannot afford to take time off, so the baling wire will have to do. You would not believe all the weird things that have been happening all day,” I said as I grab my stack of papers.

   “Like what?”

   “Like feeding a crow from my hand. Cats acting strange to me. Either hissing or real friendly. Almost like they read my mood or thoughts, I don’t know.”

   “Now you’re losing it.” Another co-worker said as he looked up and smiled.

   “I would not disagree,” I said as I walked over to the radio. “I’m turning it on; Pink Floyd in a few.”

   I went to my inserting table to prepare for the route when I saw a tiny jumping spider come out of his crack. I had seen him every day for weeks and liked to think he was my little buddy saying: “hi.” Suddenly, I heard a garbled noise from my flip-phone-like cell in my jeans. I looked down and saw the light glowing through my front pants pocket. I took it out, but there was no trace of any calls or messages—and it was not a smartphone.

   I then noticed my little buddy crawling closer and a song playing on the radio. “Bring Me to Life” by Evanescence. The song played as the spider stopped and looked right at me for the longest time.

      “Wake me up inside…Open up my eyes…Call my name and save me from the dark;      Breath into me…’Bring Me to Life’…Save me from the nothing I’ve become….”

Before the song had ended, my buddy went back to his home in the crack. Then they started to play Pink Floyd.

——————————

   “You’re late,” Michelle said laughing.

   “I know,” I said walking inside the Chevron with a stack of papers. “It has been a really weird day. I’m going to have to tell you about it next time. I just want to go home and go to sleep. Oh, also I hit a deer last night coming down the grade.”

   “Oh no, are you ok?”

   “I’m fine, but that was a close brush with death for sure.”

   “What is it with you and deer?”

   “No Idea,” I said dropping the load of papers to the floor. “I did see a lot of deer tonight. Not like last week, when they were on the road, making me swerve. More, just looking at me; maybe they hate me now because I killed Bambi.

   “It was just an accident.”

   “I know,” I said looking up while stacking the newspapers on the shelf. “I have to tell you, I think I’m losing my mind. Way too many strange things have been happening. Things that do not make any sense.”

   After looking at me curiously, Michelle asked. “Have you ever heard of an awakening?”

   “No, what is that?”

   “Spiritual awakening, I will write it down. Look it up on the internet before you go see a therapist.”

   “I will, first thing in the morning,” I said grabbing the note. “I’ll be doped up on Melatonin as soon as I get home so I get to sleep. Thank you for the advice. I will let you know.”

   “Good luck and drive safe, hun.”

——————————

   “Caw! Caw!” It’s those damn crows.

   “Go away!” I yelled as I stuck my head out. Luckily they complied. Somehow I knew it was a mistake to feed them yesterday. At least I got some decent sleep. I just lay there thinking before getting up. The first thing that came to mind, was how my phone lit up last night while that song played on the radio. I got up, put my pants on, and turned the flip phone on to see if it would shine through my pocket like it did last night—it did not.

   Truly believing I must be losing my mind and need to talk to a therapist, or a pastor, I started to get ready to go somewhere and put a large Gatorade bottle with filtered water (bc I’m cheap) on the foot of my bed, so I would not forget it. I then went to lie back down and soon the thought came over me: “God has a sense of humor.” At that very instant, the cap on the Gatorade bottle came off, soaking my socks and feet. I jumped up and buried my face into the pillow, bursting with intense joy, laughter—and tears.

   Left with a lingering feeling of joy, I soon found the slip of paper Michelle had given me and quickly looked up awakening on the internet.

——————————

   “Hi Michelle, It’s Rick the paperboy, are you busy?”

   “No, not really, what’s up?”

   “Oh my God, thank you for that tip. I looked it up and that is what happened. I have had an Awakening. I just know it.”

   “You should try meditating, have you done it?”

   “Oh yea,” I replied. “But not recently, and never really heavily into it.”

   “Try doing it now,” She told me. “Ask to connect with your guide. Ask the Divine Mother—or Mother Earth, you may need it.”

   “Really, why?”

   “When you start to venture in woods you are not familiar with, you will need a guide—simple as that. Anyway, I have a customer, just go on the internet for guided meditation, if you are not prolific at it—gotta go; one more thing, don’t expect results right away; it may take a few times to connect—you are going through a shift, be strong hun.”

——————————

   “Breath in…breath out.” Once again, I was lying on my bed; this time, I needed to clear my mind. Once there, I would reach out to what I perceive to be God, the Divine Mother, the Universe, Nature, or whatever the various denominations call it. So I tried to connect with the Mother. My mom was still alive at the time but I somehow came to connect with her in my trance—after all, she represents Divine Mother to me. I quickly let go of any misgivings against her or my father in raising me. Expressed my appreciation for bringing me into this world, and for everything that they have done. I did this for a few minutes. Still thinking I had to go somewhere, I ended the session and made plans to take it up later.

   I got up and sat at the edge of my bed. Then started to think about any errands I might need to do—or if I even should. Suddenly a clear and distinct woman’s voice sounded in my head.

   “Here I am.”


—————————————————————————




   “A huge number of people are going through the process of awakening, some in the early stages, some in later stages, and it’s wonderful to see.”


                                    Eckhart Tolle

February 09, 2022 22:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.