the death of a daredevil

Submitted into Contest #94 in response to: Start your story with someone accepting a dare.... view prompt

0 comments

Sad

WARNING: Before you read this story, there are mentions of blood and death.

I was lazily sitting on my couch, looking up at the wood ceiling. I was 22, and I live in a cabin. I moved away from my home town, all because of the death of my best friend. He died because I dared him to do a stunt, and him being a daredevil he did. Except it didn't go as planned. It all started 2 years ago.

July 18 2008.

I opened my phone to only see 8 missed phone calls from my mother, I could feel tears stinging at the back of my eyes. I looked over at my best friend, his body was laying there stiff, with blood pouring out of his head. "Oh James, i'm so sorry" I whisper as the tears that once stung my eyes, flowed down my face.

Two days before...

I laughed so hard that tears began to form in my eyes, as I see my best friend, James approaching full of mud, he smiled at me mischievously. He opened his arms "No" I yelled and started to run. We ran around for awhile until I was out of breath. I pushed James into the water, "Hey!" I laughed. "Okay, Okay, what do you want to do now?" I saw in between giggles, he than gave me a very serious face, as he was thinking, he hummed and than finally answered. "How about a game of truth or dare?" he asked giving me a look as if to trying to challenge me. I giggle, "Alright,". After a few rounds it was once again my turn, I try to think of something daring, his nickname was "Daredevil" after all. ah huh! I know, "James how about this," I say with a smirk, and in return he raised his eyebrows as to signal me to continue. still smirking I say, "In two days, let's drive up to Death Galley Cliff, and I dare you to walk on the edge, if you accept this dare and do it, than I will personally be you cleaning lady for a month." I awaited for his reacting, which I soon got, he looked me in the eye, and said "I accept, on the 8th we will leave at noon." and with that we both smirked, shook hands and left to go home. As I unlocked my door and went inside, an uneasy feeling washed over me. As I got ready for bed, I started thinking, what if this was a bad idea? what if something could go wrong? the last thought that rambled my mind was What if he died? and with that I fell asleep in a deep slumber. Time passed and soon it was the day we do the dare. I picked him up, and we were off.

Few hours later.

We got out of the car we were in, a light breeze had hit my face making my hair move a little. I smile, and look over at James. We were at the cliff, when I stepped closer, again an uneasy feeling washed over me, I felt nervous and my stomach was all knotted, and doing flips everywhere. I gulp, beads of sweat start to form, I look over at James, once again as he stood beside me, I sigh "Are you sure you want to do this? I mean like it's okay if you don't, I.." I sigh and looked at him, He looked at me and gave me his famous mischievous smile. "Don't tell me you scared all of a sudden, besides what can go wrong?" he says while laughing and walking towards the cliff. Yeah, what could happen? I ask to myself. Well a lot could go wrong, and a lot did. I stared in horror as James started to lose his balance, I closed my eyes and than reopened them to the sound of laughing. I look at him his brown eyes meeting mine, "JAMES" I yell at the coward, than as I looked at him again worried mixed with fear came across his face. I looked wide eyed and alarmed as I watched him fall backwards off the cliff in slow motion. "JAMES, NO JAMES!!!!" I shriek, running down the narrow path. Out of breath, I look for James, than I stopped dead in my tracks, my breath hitches I look at the gruesome sight, I take out my phone to call 911 only to see 8 missed phone calls from my mother, I could feel tears stinging the back of my eyes I looked over at my best friend, his body was stiff, with blood pouring out of his head. "Oh James, i'm so sorry," I whisper as the tears that once stung my eyes, flowed down my face. I call 911, and just in a few hours I was with my mother at the hospital where they told me that James was already dead. He died when he fell. I cried, and cried. I mourned for my best friend, we did everything together. He was like my twin, but now my twin is dead, and it's all because of me, and that stupid dare.

Present day.

I shivered as that memory flooded into my mind. A few tears trickled down my face, I still mourn for my best friend, I miss him everyday. I wish he didn't do that dare, but everything always has a consequence. And this time, the consequence for this case, was death. After his funeral, I had moved because of the pain that still lurked in my heart mind from all the memories we had. I couldn't stay where the pain was. So mother helped me move out and now i'm starting a new life, a new chapter. And in honour of my best friend his picture is hanging in my living room, so I could still see him. Even though it still hurt too look at it, he was still my best friend and I could never forget him, The daredevil who had died from a dare.

May 21, 2021 19:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.