3 comments

Sad Fantasy Black

By the time I stepped outside, the leaves were on fire. I always knew a time like this would come, but I never expected it to be that soon. 

I was born in a country where things weren't done to favour it's citizens, a country where only the government enjoyed the riches of the people while the governed, especially the poor governed suffered greatly both in the shadows and in the light.

"Dad!" my four years old daughter Mariam calls, "what are you doing?"

"I'm writing sweet." I look at the wall clock. "Isn't it past your bedtime?"

"I can't sleep dad, and besides tomorrow is," she pauses and says in a very low tone, "Saturday." Which makes me laugh out loud.

Mariam never got to meet her mom. Her death was just another reason I hated this country. When she was ready to put bed, despite all my rush, I was still slowed down because of the traffic that took time. Aside from the traffic, when we finally got out of the traffic we got stopped by police men who claimed that I must give them money before they let me go. I begged and begged for them to let me go but they refused.

"Officers, my wife is pregnant and she needs to get to the hospital as soon as possible." I pleaded with tears in my eyes until they finally let me go because I gave them my watch.

She gave birth to Mariam but sadly didn't see her child. Since that day I lost hope even in the police. 

"Okay baby, since tomorrow is the weekend, you can go and watch tv a little and let dad continue writing."

"Okay daddy." She hurried off to the sitting room.

It's been over six month since the Coronavirus pandemic broke out in the country. The government promised its people palliative to survive themselves during the lockdown, but what did we see: nothing. And even if there was it was curbed with political thugs to their own families and relatives. The lower citizens were forced to make, stealing the order of the day. They moved in groups stealing from the poor; the poor stole from the poor, until they couldn't take it anymore and decided to fight for themselves.

Where were the government and their police when their people were being robbed, where were they when their people were hungry and decided to steal from themselves? They were nowhere, they were hiding in the comfort of their offices.

I stood up from my writing corner to check on my daughter, she was asleep. She made me smile seeing how sound asleep she was. I picked her up carrying her in my arms. When I got to her room, I dropped her and gave her a gentle kiss on her forehead. "Goodnight princess." I said, and with that I went to the sitting room to switch off the t.v. set then to my writing corner. I was about to sit when I remembered I also wanted to drink water. "Shit." I stood straight again and made my way to the kitchen, pulled out a sachet of water from the fridge, drank it, then resumed my writing.

Few months after the easing of the lockdown, there was the wave of death. I know you would think it was caused by the Coronavirus; but no--not that the virus wasn't having its impact on the nation, it was. What caused the wave of death is what is supposed to prevent the wave of death and it is the police. Few months after easing the lockdown, there were cases of death as a result of police brutality. A number of youths lost their life all in the name of greed from the hands of the police: Ada, Tina, Tobi, Rick etc all those young people who had a future didn't live to see it. What about their parents? Just like me the thought that their loved ones lost their lives in the hands of their protectors would forever be a mask that would never be taken off just like me today.

Tired from writing, I took a break from my writing and retired to my room. It was time to rest my eyes and brain. After All tomorrow is Saturday, I can write for as long.

When the next day came, after having my bath and dropping off Mariam at her aunt's place, I returned home to continue where I left off last night. 

"Saturday's can be really boring at times." I say while taking off my shoes then sit down.

Few months later, I can see the people fighting for their rights, I can see the people getting ready to overthrow their nonchalance and ready to stop this corruption in their country, in my country. I can see every citizen coming out to vote for a change, I can see people in the streets crying for a change shouting: "Enough is enough! We are not our older generation! The time for staying back and doing nothing is over, the time of accepting rubbish from you oppressors is over, the time of saying: "e go better (it will be better in this country)" and not actually working towards it! Enough-is-enough!

"Vzzzt--vzzzt---vzz--" my phone alarm says it is 2pm rings. It is time to go and pick Mariam from my sister's place. 

"Demola--Mariam is ill. I was just about to call you."

"Why?! Ki lo shele? (What happened?)" I ask, panicking.

"I don't know, she just--" I didn't wait for her to speak finish. I rushed inside to see my baby girl lying on the chair. "Sister mi! She burning up. (My sister, she's burning up!)" I didn't waste time. I picked her up and rushed to the hospital-- my sister seated behind with her. 

The same occurance: stupid holdup, stupid police, stupid country. My daughter is terribly ill and this policeman is asking me for my particulars.

By the time I stepped outside, the leaves were on fire. I lost my daughter. I lost my wife. I lost my life, all because I live in this country.

October 15, 2020 15:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Crystal Lewis
23:55 Oct 20, 2020

Oh wow what a sad story, even more so because it contains the threads of reality woven in there. Well written.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Harbe Girl
11:03 Oct 16, 2020

Guyyy this is littt.

Reply

Micheal Sanjay
20:48 Oct 16, 2020

😊 Thank you so much. I'm happy you liked it💖

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.