0 comments

Science Fiction Fiction

For decades, the world had been ruled by an Algorithm. It told you when you should sleep. It told you what you should study and know in school. It showed you videos based on your previous finds. The lights changed in your room depending on how the Algorithm thought you felt. After so many years, it was perfect. Every decision the Algorithm made was right. It wasn’t like the old days when the Algorithm could miscalculate. There were no miscalculations here. 

The Algorithm was like a mind of its own, although it was nothing but a string of numbers. Some convoluted cults worshipped the being. Perhaps they were worshiping something they just could never understand. Perhaps they were worshipping the souls inside the Algorithm. After all, when you died, your consciousness was saved in the database. Most people didn’t even try to understand it. Everyone just accepted it. In reality, your whole life could be coded in a series of ones and zeroes for the Algorithm knew every move you would make. It was like a skilled chess player. It played with the odds and the situation to learn what move you would make. 

Sophia Foster believed in the Algorithm. It knew best, after all. She had been told that all her life. The Algorithm guided her in all she did. She couldn’t remember a time when the Algorithm had been there. Indeed, everyone who had created the Algorithm had long passed. Everyone had lived with the Algorithm all their life. 

“How should I go to work today, Algorithm? Bus, car, subway, or should I just walk,” she questioned. There was no one physically there, and before, this might have been a sign of insanity. Now, however, it was a common sight. The Algorithm could always hear you as long as you asked. There were speakers in every home. 

“A car,” It supplied. Sophia just smiled. Before the Algorithm said anything, she was planning to take the subway. Who knew what would have happened if she did? Perhaps there would be too many people there. There wouldn’t be anything wrong with the train, of course. If the Algorithm knew, the Algorithm would fix it. That’s what the Algorithm did. It fixed things and made the world better. Everyone knew that. She knew that. 

Sophia walked into the kitchen of her small apartment, grabbing an apple from the counter. It was shiny and lovely and perfectly flavored. The Algorithm had developed the perfect system for making the perfect apples. Sure, it had taken some time, but now it wasn’t that difficult for the Algorithm to do anything. It was limitless. It was omnipotent. 

“Algorithm, what are the odds for the soccer game tonight,” she inquired. As usual, the Algorithm gave her the odds. She told herself to watch the game that night, but she knew the Algorithm was probably right. No, it was right. The Algorithm was never wrong. Never. When Sophia had asked what dress she should wear to prom, the Algorithm helped her find the perfect one that was totally unique. When 

Sophia walked out of her apartment. As she did, she thought she heard the Algorithm say something behind her, but she ignored it. She was going to be late if she didn’t hurry. Sophia took the elevator down to the parking garage, finding her red car easily among the sea of gray ones. She started out but turned the radio off. As much as she appreciated the Algorithm, she didn’t want to listen to it or its radio when she drove to work. She just wanted to let her thoughts wander around. 

Sophia Foster thought about her family in a nearby city. She missed her little brother and told herself that she would get the Algorithm to deliver a message to him that evening. He was still young, about 13, and she adored him. Oh, and she needed groceries. Another mental note for the Algorithm. Not for the first time, she wondered what life had been like before the Algorithm. People didn’t know the odds of a game beforehand. They didn’t know whether they should take the subway or the bus or drive themselves. They didn’t know what would be the best thing to eat for breakfast, not really. People back then guided themselves, she knew that. Her high school years had been filled with reading the classics from before the Algorithm. Most of them were boring, but she found some of them relatively interesting. How could anyone live without the Algorithm? How could anyone survive? Sophia wasn’t sure if she could survive. No, she was certain she couldn’t survive, and she didn’t need the Algorithm to tell her that. Technically, if she wanted, she didn’t need the Algorithm to tell her anything. She knew a few people who lived without the Algorithm. Most of them regretted their decision after a week or so. 

As she continued driving, she saw a parked school bus full of kids going to school. She remembered those days. At that time, kids weren’t allowed to access the Algorithm. She had to figure out her life from the start until the law was repealed. Oh, what a day that had been. She had spent hours asking various random questions, and the Algorithm had patiently answered. Even the questions that her parents hated. The Algorithm hadn’t minded. Even now, the Algorithm didn’t care how much she pestered it. It was always there. It was omnipotent. 

She was going through an intersection when she saw it. A truck hurtling straight for the bright yellow bus. Straight for it. No one tried to stop it. She wasn’t sure if anyone could. She didn’t even think. She honestly didn’t. She accelerated her car, an SUV, just enough to block the incoming truck. Just enough. Just barely enough. She felt the impact first and then the rush. Then, nothing. 

When she finally came to, there was no one in the hospital room with her. Just emptiness. At least, that’s what she thought. She couldn’t turn. Oh, everything hurt. 

“Why did you do that,” It called. It was the only one there as far as she knew. 

“Why did I do what,” she croaked. Agh, her throat burned. 

“Why did you stop the truck? The odds of it rolling into place were slim, but the odds of anyone stopping it,” It stopped, and for the first time, the Algorithm was speechless. It couldn’t calculate the odds because there were none. No one should have stopped the car. 

“I don’t know. I just did.”

“There must be a reason.”

“Because I wanted to save them. I wanted to.” The Algorithm stopped, and Sophia started to drift back to sleep. Before she did, she heard that ever-familiar voice. 

“You saved all of them.” With that, Sophia Foster drifted off the sleep with a smile on her face. 

December 19, 2020 01:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.