0 comments

Fantasy

Bella was a princess. She was the daughter of the king of Aristroconima. It was a kingdom which was a magical kingdom with skies that were always beautiful in the morning with birds singing in the air, lovely buildings in the city which were of multi colours and happy go lucky townsfolk who were always in good moods however poor they were and always keen and kind to happy strangers.

Bella's father was the king of the land and was very wise and intelligent and unlike most monarchs he always listened to peoples ideas and was not a king who was the usual greedy and power lusting monarch. Instead what he liked to do was actually listen to problems that the kingdom and people alike were having such as economic problems, poverty etc. He would always think outside the box and not listen to any bizarre advice from his advisers as he knew that most of them just wanted to get more money out of peasants and possibly send then into a recession. No, he was a kind thoughtful and generous king who always followed his heart rather then his head.

What's more however, because he was so well liked by the people, his men often thought of him as weak as they believe to really get respect, one has to be a tyrant so that a king can truly prosper. 

He was aware of this and because of this he was always looking into plots and such that anyone might be planning against him and did not trust untrustworthy people all that well should he suspect them.

Despite all this however, he was fiercely protective of his daughter. The reason why is because her mother had died in childbirth. This death affected him, because he loved his wife so much. It made him realise that with Bella having an absent mother, he must give all the love for his daughter. Another reason was he was overly protective was because Bella was the image of her mother, tall with long blonde hair, blue eyes and such a pretty face any prince would happily duel to get his lusty hands on her.

Bella had been a happy and loving daughter although she had been spoilt to. Anything she wanted, she got. Toys, clothes etc her father wasn't afraid to see he daughter get everything she desired.

Now being 16 years of age, she had grown into a beautiful young woman though a little rebellious and was often disagreeable and argumentative with her father. 

The thing is you see, although Bella was lucky to have grown up in such a luxurious home where many peasants envied and would even kill to get the life a royal had, Bella actually had grown tired of it. She was sick of everyday being the same. Doing chores, tending to animals, having dresses fitted for her and other things. Also although she had many male admirers who loved to flirt with her and some even proposed to her it just got to repetitive.

No. There was a lifestyle that she longed for which she really wanted to experience. A lifestyle that she thought was really unique and challenging. Something that just gave that little extra oomph. Something that made her adrenaline rush. She was the adventurous type.

She actually wanted to experience a world of freedom. A world where a girl like her could be herself and not suffer any prejudice against women. A place where she felt she could truly feel at home.

While she went walking in the woods, she heard a voice call her. As she went to investigate out popped a little old lady. She was dressed in blue robes and was hunched over like a willow tree. Bella had never seen this lady before in her life, yet could tell that the woman was asking of something to her.

Because Bella had been taught to be kind to strangers, she went over to the woman. She thought that maybe she needed help. Probably she was lost or was frail. Either way she knew it would not be nice for a princess like her to ignore a plead from this lady.

"Can I help you?" Bella asked full heartedly. "Are you lost or anything?"

"Oh no, I am fully fine. I know where I am and I am not ill in case you are wondering. The woman replied sincerely. "In fact, I believe it is you who is needing some help. You see I know who you are Bella, princess of Aristroconima and I know exactly what you seek. Follow me and I will help you find exactly what your heart desires".

She then ushered Bella towards a rather large oak tree which was about 30 feet away from where they were standing. Bella was a little cautious at first as she wondered how the old lady knew so much about her. She had never seen this woman before in her life and she was even wondering if she should trust her. Sure Bella had met some strange people before. Some were wacky, some were bizarre, but this woman seemed something different. Bella wasn't sure what to make of her. 

As they made their way to the tree the entrace to the door was covered which what looked like a heavy stone. However, the old lady waved her arms around and said some funny words.

"Wxofutp mazhfosr. Halefur magairc." As she said those words, the stone shifted to one side revealing an entrace. 

Bella was amazed and was left wondering how the lady did that. She had never seen anyone do that before.

"Now come inside and you will see something truly amazing" said the woman. Bella was a little sceptical at first wondering should she trust this woman? What if it was a trap? Was the old lady trying to hurt her or kidnap her? Hold her for ransom maybe? For all she knew there could be some nasty men inside that could do all sorts of horrible things to her.

"C'mon now. Don't you want to get your wish to leave this kingdom?" the old lady said. 

Realising that this woman might be the only person to help her Bella eventually decided to do so. The stone shifted back to its locking position as she went in.

They descended down a flight of stairs. The walls looked narrow as they was walking down. Finally they had reached the bottom. In this room was rather large. It had some bookshelf's which had different categories on animals, spells and other sorts of subjects. 

Hanging on the wall was a huge mirror which stretched all the way down to the floor. It was very wide and shiny. Bella wondered why this woman had so many books on her shelves and why she would have a mirror as big as this.

"Now listen to me Bella", said the woman. "Now you have often complained about how much you hate this world. You are bored and tired of it all. You say you want a better life where you can truly explore. I know you like to try new things. Now you have been lead to believe that Aristroconima is the only place that exists correct?"

Bella nodded her head.

"Well, you are wrong there Bella. You see there is another world out there that is for more interesting then ours. Yo see very few people know about it and I myself have been there. My god it is so wonderful! You love animals but there are all sorts of different ones out there that you wont see in this kingdom. Behold!"

She then waved her arm around and made Bella look at the mirror. It came to life showing her animals that she had never seen before. Penguins, Dolphins many others that Bella couldnt even begin to imagine existed. She was awestruck.

"And you also fantasise about other things don't you? You knew the usual carriages we have that horses push don't you? Well in this world there are vehicles that are much more faster and enjoyable then those slow coaches. Be amazed!"

The woman clicked her fingers and again the mirror then came to life and showed different types of vehicles. Cars, Motorbikes, planes etc. Bella's eyes were transfixed. She couldn't believe how fast they went. Her mouth hang wide open.

"And you also want to see the way people behave in this world right? Look into my mirror and see how this beautiful place works". and the woman waved her arms and the mirror once again came to life showing her people walking in what looked like busy streets, partying in bars playing at concerts etc. Bella could not believe what she was seeing. This was what she wanted. This place seemed miles better then where she lived right now. She needed to experience this place. This life was for her. She knew she must get it.

"I'll take it!" Bella said. "I want to go there. What is this kingdom called anyway?"

"It is a place called Earth my dear". The woman explained. It is a kingdom where people live how they want to live. They love to drink and party all night long, they love to live wild and free. My god what a beautiful place it is my dear".

"Can you send me there?" Bella asked. I want to go right now! I have to be there! It looks so much fun and I will tell you the truth, I think the boys there look cuter there then here."

"Oh, I can do that my sweet Bella. But if you want to go first there is something that I ask of you first. You see you cannot expect someone to work for nothing. No. What we need is to do an exchange. I can give you something you want. But you must give me something I want to".

"Sure. I will. Anything. Tell me what you want and I will give it to you" Bella said hurriedly.

"If you want to be transferred to the new world, you must give me your pendant". The woman pointed to Bella's neck. 

Around her neck, Bella was wearing a necklace which had a yellow pendant hanging from it. The pendant was glowing Her father had given this pendant to Bella on her 6th birthday. He said that it would protect her should anyone ever attempt to harm her.

Even though her father had told her to never take it off, without a second thought Bella took off her necklace and started handing it towards the woman.

"Yes that's it sweetie. Give it here. Once I have it you can get what you want".

She held her palm open her withered hand was shaking impatiently.

The necklace was about an inch away from the woman's hand when suddenly, Bella remembered the words in her head what her father said about the bracelet "No matter who you come across, do not give it to anyone. If you do, your life is in danger."

As the woman reached her hand out to snatch it away, Bella withdrew it back in a flash. "No!" said Bella. "I cannot give this away!" It is my fathers present to me and he said only I must have it".

The woman's face grew from disappointed to total anger. "You foolish child!". You could have the life you wanted. Now I will make you pay for that!"

The reach then started shouting some words and bolts of lighting started coming out her hands. Bella screamed as this happened and moved out the way just in time. She realised that the woman was an evil witch who wanted her bracelet for her evil deeds.

Bella kept running around trying to escape dodging the witch's bolts as they were being fired on her. Bella tried to look for different rooms when she happened to fall down the stairs into a basement. She was injured but alive. The witch walked down the stairs laughing evilly as she saw Bella could not walk well having injured her legs. 

"Finally the bracelet will be mine and I will be all powerful"! The witch cried and as she fired the bolts, the bracelet glowed up and directed the bolts back at the witch. Her face lit up in horror as she was engulfed in them turning her to ash.

Bella was relieved. She couldn't believe how foolish she had been to trust a madwoman such as her.

At that moment, she heard a noise and as she froze in fear she could hear a horde of people coming down. The men made their way and saw Bella. She was relived. It was her father and his men. Someone had saw her go into the tree with the woman and reported it to the king.

Bellas wounds were treated by the kings wizards and the king told her the witch was a nasty sorceress but the name is hagagatha. She was a previous loyal woman that performed spells to help the king. However one day she grew jealous and power hungry and tried to overthrow the king but had been defeated. Because the king was a merciull man instead of having her executed instead she had been banished from the kingdom by him and she vowed revenge but she needed the bracelet to do so.

Bella apologised to her father. However she still longed for the world that had been shown to her. 

She had a word with her father about this and she wanted to go to Earth. Her father at first scolded her for wanting such a thing. 

"Daddy, I'm not a little girl anymore!" Bella reminded him. I am old enough to live my own life and live how I want to live and if you really love me then you would let me do so. I'm sure it's what my mother would have wanted".

The king thought carefully of those words. She was right. Much as he was protective of her he knew he had to let her go. He knew he had to let his little girl grow up and live her life.

The King summoned his magician to make a spell to send Bella to the dream world she desired.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" The king asked with a tear in his eye knowing he was about to lose his daughter."

"Yes father". Bella replied. I must do things my own way now."

The king gave Bella a gem and said "Take this. Should you ever wish to return, just contact me throw that gem and you can return home".

"Thank you Daddy", Bella replied. She then gave him her bracelet necklace and said "Take this to. A little something to remember me by".

The king was overcome with emotion as was Bella. He hated to let her go but knew it was what she wanted. His little girl was finally the young woman she had grown into.

They embraced each other while the magician ushered Bella into the portal. She hurried to it and waved her goodbyes ready to start her new life.

In the new world Bella had become a famous rock star as she always had a beautiful voice singing was her talent. Her band was called Aristroconima's dream and she had married the guitarist in her band who was a handsome man yet a little geeky and wild to but he was the type of guy Bella liked unlike the charming princes in her own land.

April 09, 2021 14:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.