Duped for a coffee

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a funny post-apocalyptic story.... view prompt

4 comments

Funny

My Address:

Rabin Prasad Kalita

H. No. 56C (Near Central School)

Azara, Guwahati-781017

Kamrup(M), Assam, India

E-mail: rabin1966@gmail.com

Mob No. 8638815722

Duped for a coffee

Mr. Sajal, a loquacious, and was one of the playful staff in a railway office. A fun-loving guy loved creating jokes and willfully applied mostly in his office workforce. Always he strived to open up a window, for a hospitable environment to work with the sagacity of fun and frolic. It enhances the morale of the workers which augment interpersonal attractions. Without him, the office seemed deserted.

He often said “humor makes one hale and hearty,” and helps to sail a happy life.  Other than a shared laugh, nothing works faster to bring one’s mental and physical stability back into balance.  Wit keeps one focused, lightens one’s burden, and releases anger. Else, it’s not that easy to keep one contented in this messy race of life. 

In this busy chaotic planet, humor erases all sorts of stresses and makes one free to think serenely. It generally increases the ability to retain things in mind for a longer period and proved to be an effective tool to improve one’s mental health. A person with a sense of humor has less stress and anxiety than the one with no such quality. It is the healthiest adaptation for a happy life. Eventually, a healthy body usually adds some more autumns to one’s actual span of life. 

Basu, a chubby structured, blonde-haired, and innocent by look, was always easy prey for Sajal.  He used to get caught in mischievous traps laid by Sajal, whether it was consciously or naively.

A gutless person Basu, usually feared taking decisions, on his own. Also, it is a distant thing to do something alone for him.  Someone said; a perplexed man mostly depends on others. He was easily convincible with a guy who could act with a little drama. Would follow him like a lackey unless some other person motivates him with another ploy. If so happened, then he chose the second alternative bypassing the first one, without getting assessed both. Sometimes he was fortunate enough to pick the result but generally repented for being failed. Therefore, Basuji was an easy catch for Sajal to try out his naughty tricks on him.   

It was a sunny summer morning, probably during March; met Basu on the way to the cafeteria who was loitering to grip someone for a coffee. Intending to have a little fun, Sajal requested him to stop for a while. Basu loved to enjoy freebies and would gobble for anything found free. He was like a magpie that knew only to earn but didn’t dare to spend even a coin for a coffee. Even he didn’t require an invitation to visit a function and to eat up to the neck. Shame was a mere word for him and carried no meaning. Therefore, Sajal could read his vain well. Hence, he thought why not to impish him once before throwing the treat.  

Sajal tried to convince him to play an interesting game and also promised him to pay his espresso café bill if he wins. Initially, Basu refused to play but agreed later on whilst he heard about the lucrative deal. 

Sajal took out an old aluminum 10 paisa coin (in those days) and told Basu to crouch a little to lower his head. Sajal then pressed the coin to stick it in the middle of his forehead. Simultaneously, he spoke out the comical conditions of the game to follow while executing. 

As per the set-out rule, the coin had to be unfastened from the forehead without touching or shaking his head, and the duration of the task was to complete in three minutes. The task seemed simple that was vivid from the facial expression of Basu. He was overjoyed being vanity that he could detach the coin in a blink, and could earn the espresso coffee for sure. 

Looking at skyward, though the coin could not be seen, Basuji tried his best by squeezing and releasing every part of his face as well as forehead, to get the coin somehow unleashed. He tried this concerted painstaking effort till the end of the given time. While doing this; his facial activity was appeared to be utterly funny. He didn’t care those but kept on trying to set free the coin and win the coffee.   

Meanwhile, some of the office colleagues and onlookers were gathered out there without his knowledge. Nobody knew about, actually what was going on. But, they got amused and kept on giggling throughout. It was like an atypical behavior of a familiar person in the middle of the road. Seeing his eccentric activities, they got dazed, though they didn’t know about the actual idea behind the scene. Basuji might have gone mad was the remark conceded by all of them. He was busy noticing constantly on his forehead to unlock the coin. Therefore, he could not see anyone nearby but kept on hearing some faintly audible upsetting comments.  

Suddenly Basuji found something fishy around him. Left his task unfinished in-between. Felt embarrassed by noticing them laughing around him. He then rubbed out his forehead abruptly for the coin but could not locate the same. Gradually he could observe something by sensing the milieu around. It didn’t take long to understand that he might have been deceived. So, he stared at Sajal for kidding him in front of the crowd and was unhappy on him for an outright cheat. 

Disclosing the trick, Sajal opened his clenched fist and shown the coin to all. Finally, he too joined with other guys with his unstoppable loud laugh. He skillfully took out the coin and kept in his fist in a wink. Thus he hoodwinked Basuji as if the coin got stuck on his forehead. This was the catch of the trick which was tactfully done by a master. Knowing the fact of the game, there was a roar with laughter all over and that went on even on the coffee table.

September 25, 2020 16:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Utpal Sarmah
13:11 Oct 01, 2020

Nice presentation .

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tajinder Singh
05:01 Sep 30, 2020

Very nice

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anil Thakuria
17:52 Sep 29, 2020

Wonderfully presented!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hia Kalita
16:35 Sep 29, 2020

Very amusing and entertaining story. Loved it 😍

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.