2 comments

General

After typing for what seemed like forever, I finally finished my book. It was titled, Jane tries again by Emma Holmes. The story takes place in the suburbs and a girl named Jane is practicing how to throw a ball so she could win the baseball game at school, which was in three days. I wanted the title to be longer, but I shortened it for the fear of it being too wordy. I pressed the print button and waited. It shouldn't take long.

At last, it printed. I pulled the paper out and began to read, just to make sure I didn't have any grammar mistakes or typos.

I read my favorite scene.

Jane threw the ball at the glass bottle. But the ball threw over it and landed in the grass. She crossed her arms, frustrated at herself. Her dad came out of the house, two cups of lemonade in his hands. "Need a drink?"

"No, not now." Said Jane. "I'm busy." She picked up the ball and threw it again at the bottle. Once more, she missed. The ball landed in the bushes. Muttering under her breath, she went to pick it up. Her dad put the cups on the small folding table. "Need help?" He asked.

Jane sighed. "I guess so."

Her dad went to the bush and grabbed the ball, which was wedged between some branches. "I should just be the cheerleader for the team. I can't throw right, I'll never be a good pitcher." Her dad handed her the ball, "Sure you can. You just need practice."

"That's what I'm doing." Jane said. "I just can't get it right."

"Keep trying." Her dad reminded her. "Then you'll succeed."

Jane took a deep breath, she might as well give it a shot. "Okay, I'll do it." She looked at the glass bottle, which stood on the fence. She heard a robin chirp, it was sitting in her nest in a tree watching her intently, her dad was watching her as well, giving her a thumbs up. He took a sip of lemonade. At least she had an audience to cheer her on. Robins don't cheer. She reminded herself. Then smiled, but her dad could. She threw the ball gently. It missed. "Try again." Her dad said. "Throw it a little higher." "You're doing great!" He added.

Jane picked up the ball and threw it higher. It bounced against the fence, missing the glass bottle by an inch. Jane groaned. One more try. She told herself. Then I'm done.

She picked up the ball, leveling it in her hand. She threw it again. The ball hit the glass bottle! Jane cheered and jumped in the air. "I did it!" She exclaimed. Her dad hugged her. "I told you, all you needed was more practice." "Now you're ready for that baseball game." He added.

Three days later, Jane and her dad were at the baseball game. Jane had waited for this moment all summer. She's always wanted to be a pitcher, now it was her chance.

Her team was called The Lions. Their opponent? The Leopards. Her good friend Maggie was the empire. Jane stared at Jack, who was grinning under his big hat and gripping the bat with his hands. Jack was always a weird kid, he liked wearing a Sombrero to every baseball game. Their couch, Mr. Walters, didn't seem to care.

"Batter up!" Jack exclaimed for who knows why.

Jane gulped. What if she missed? Jack was great at hitting the ball. What if he makes a home run? What if her team loses? Jane pushed the negative thoughts out of mind.

She threw the ball. Jack missed, "Strike one!" Maggie shouted. Jane sighed in relief. Jack rolled his eyes, "I'll get the next one." He growled. "You're not going to win this."

The ball was tossed back to Jane. She threw the ball again, Jack hit the ball. The ball soared like a hawk through the air. Dan, who was one of the leopards catchers, ran to get it. Dan was running as fast as he could. "Run! Run!" The leopards were shouting.

The ball landed behind the fence. It was a home run! The audience roared like lions. Everyone was happy. Dan slammed his glove on the ground. Jack angrily threw his bat away, nearly hitting one of the benched leopards.

Jane's team all tried to hug her at once. They all cheered. Maggie pumped her fist in the air, "You did awesome!" She yelled. "We won!"

Jane smiled. Her dad was right, keep practicing and you will succeed! Her dad came and gave her some lemonade. "Yum!" She said, taking a sip. "Drink up." Her dad said, patting her shoulder, "You earned it!"

I smiled at the scene. It was perfect. My first story ever to be published, I thought. I can't wait! Mom came in the bedroom, "Ready to mail your story in?"

I nodded. "You know I am."

I folded the story and put it in the envelope. Then, I wrote the address. 899 Felix Ave, Writer's Club.

I sealed the letter and placed the stamp on the front, then wrote my address down. Mom and I headed to the mailbox outside our house and I put it in. Off to the presses! I thought happily. I wanted my story to be in the Writer's Club article in the newspaper. I hoped it was good enough.

"Safe travels letter." I said, walking away. I went back inside, wondering what story to write next. Should it be happy? Sad? Adventurous? I thought about the other stories I've written, but never submitted them to the Writer's Club. What if they weren't good enough? What if they were cliché and boring? What if...

I shook my head. I shouldn't think about such silly things. Even if my story doesn't get published, I can always try again. Keep trying and I'll succeed.

Just like Jane, I thought as I headed to the kitchen. "Want anything to drink?" Mom offered. I nodded. "Yes, some of your finest, freshest lemonade please!" I said with a laugh.

Let's face it, all that talk of lemonade in my story made me want some.

June 15, 2020 19:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Erin Rasnick
21:38 Jun 24, 2020

I really like this story. It gives you a look at the passion that authors have for their work. I also like the connection to real life in trying until you succeed. I think the story has a great message.

Reply

Jaylynn Strong
02:45 Jul 12, 2020

Thank you for the comment, I worked hard on this even if it was short. I made another submission that you can read :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.