2 comments

Horror Desi

It was a fine day of October. Jasmine, Vani and Nisha had came to Tirravghar to enjoy their pre-Diwali holidays. Tirravghar was famous for its huge Devi Temple. The Temple was build across the edge of the city by King of Tirravghar who lived in his Fort over the hills about 300 years ago. The Devi Temple was known for freeing people from unsatisfied spirits and sealing those spirits in underworld. Devi Temple was also famous because in middle of the city, over the hills, existed the 300 years old Fort of Tirravghar. The fort was said to haunted and Girls trio was in city for it. 

"Google says the visiting timing for Fort ends at 4 pm sharp and its already 3:15. It will take us at least two hours to climb those hills. I think we should go back to the lodge for today," Jasmine told her friends. Jasmine wasn't very good with horror stuff. She did not wanted to go there at all but was dragged by Vani into the trip.  

"And who do you think is at fault here? Of course the one who spent a whole hour in Bathroom. And who was that? Of course, our Jaz." Nisha taunted Jaz. Nisha and Vani made the plan together. Nisha was too excited for the trip that she absolutely didn't liked Jaz delaying them for absolutely anything.  

"Don't worry about it. I did full research and travellers say that little money can get you into the fort even after 4. 'On your own risk' is a given." Vani was more of a solution finder type. She thought straight just like her silky smooth, straight hair.  

"But wouldn't we be taking lots of risk?" Jaz asked. 

"I already told you about it. We are taking this 'lots of risk'" Vani answered.  

Girls took a jeep till three fourth of the climb for Tirravghar Fort and then had to spend physical strength. There were originally 5 entrances into the fort but four of them were sealed, except the one in front of them. They asked the guard about ticket booth for which he answered, "He runs away half an hour before his shift. Daughters, you are only an hour late. Go back. You can't enter until tomorrow now." 

"Uncle, for how many hours will you guard here?" Nisha asked. 

The old guard laughed, "I will stay here till midnight now. You have to come after midnight to sneak in." 

"Have you seen any ghosts?" Vani asked taking out a 1000 Rs. note and offering it to the Guard. 

"I haven't. Maybe you will. Make sure to tell me about it when you come out." Guard told them taking the money from Vani. 

The Girls trio went inside. Inside was a path that led to main building. The fort had five lines of symmetry. Its defensive wall was in shape of a Pentagon and each corner was a similar entrance with a similar path that led to the main building. 300 years ago, each side of the defensive wall was said to contain dozens of soldiers and each corner another dozen of them. 

Tirravghar was part of Jayash Empire which covered one eighth part of the Indian subcontinent. Though Jaipur was its capital during normal days, Tirravghar made its capital in wartime. Tirravghar Fort was safest in the entire Empire. It made best hiding spot for the Emperor and also the best strategic position to lead his army. Now the fort didn't looked as tough. Only one guard protected the fort, that too only till midnight. 

Sun was almost down the horizon when they entered the fort. It was starting of winter and days were short. Right after the girls entered the main building there was nothing but darkness.  

"I think we should go back." Jaz said. 

Vani took off her backpack and pulled out 3 flashlights from it. "I told you I did full research." She said. 

"Oh my God! You planned this!" Jaz exclaimed. 

"Not alone." Nisha said. "Common this is more fun. And we got Hanuman Chalisa for you. Happy?" 

"No way! I am going back!" Jaz shouted. If it had been day time about 30 visitors would have heard her. But since it was night no one heard her. No one? 

"Ladies, I heard you shouting. Can I help you in some way?" A man emerged from darkness. He wore clothes of a King, a king from 300 years ago. A ruby hung over his left chest pocket of his red colored kurta. His kurta and white pajama had delicate work of golden tread. A white feather and probably another ruby stuck on his Pagadi. 

"G-Ghost!!" Jaz shouted on top of her voice. She ran away towards the direction from where she came. Nisha ran after her but Vani didn't moved an inch. She had been balancing her backpack on her left knee raised high and had no chance to run. Sweat could be seen on her face. 

"Oh no ladies. I am not a ghost. I am manager of the Tirravghar Restaurant near the gate no. 4. If you don't believe here is our business card." He produced a card from his left pajama pocket and handed it to Vani. Lines on her forehead relaxed when she saw that card. It looked... real. 

Vani knew he wasn't a ghost but she was not convinced about the restaurant. "Why did they let you open a restaurant inside this haunted fort? Aren't all other gates sealed close?" She inquired. 

"Miss, how did they let you inside at 6 in the evening? Tourists who come on time are told about the restaurant. Our restaurant is not illegal. We use one of the old tunnels as entrance and exit. Most of our customers enter through the fort and exit through the tunnel which takes them to the Sundar Chauraha." He told her. "Would you like to be our customers? Please call your friends and I will walk you to Tirravghar Restaurant." 

Vani went to call her friends. Since it was then proved no ghosts existed there she felt no need to look around. She thought looking around the fort in sunlight would be much better. "Nisha! Jaz! We are going to the restaurant." She called them and they soon came back from where they were hiding. 

As they neared the restaurant, the walls were freshly painted. The furniture was repolished. Fresh flowers were beautifully placed inside expensive vases. Carpet stretched below their shoes and old paintings hung on the walls. When they reached, there was a big sign saying 'Tirravghar Restaurant', fonts and color combinations chosen to make it as royal looking as it could.  

Sounds of people discussing filled the air. Almost all the tables were full except a few. The restaurant did felt like a restaurant totally different from a haunted fort they were in a few moments ago. 

"There is the tunnel we use for entrance and exit. On other side of it is the Sundar Chauraha." Manager told the Girls and then ordered a waiter to take girls to an empty table. 

Waiter took the girls to an empty table and handed them the menu. "Call me when you have decided on your order." Waited said and turned. 

Jaz called him. "There is no need. Get us your specialty. Three plates please."  

"Yes Madam." He said and left. 

Waiter brought them their dishes. They ate nicely and paid. As they neared the exit, the exit turned into a wall. All the other customers, manager and waiter disappeared. So did the decorations, tables and paintings. All they were left in was darkness. They searched for their flashlights but they didn't have them. Then they decided to touch the walls and find their way out. They couldn't find and exit and just circled. They were inside a room with five walls and zero doors. Soon they had lost their senses of everything.  

Vani, Nisha and Jasmine, three missing reports were registered with these names in Tirravghar. Months passed and neither of them was found. Soon police also gave up on the investigation.  

October 23, 2020 20:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Michael Hayes
12:50 Oct 29, 2020

On the whole I liked your story. I like the way that you get straight to the plot after a general intro, and the way you give further information through quips.

Reply

Shiri G
15:49 Oct 30, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.