0 comments

Fiction Funny Happy

Chapter 1: The Reluctant Start

Jack slouched into Grease and Gears, the acrid scent of oil and rubber assaulting his nostrils. The fluorescent lights flickered on, casting harsh shadows across the dirty floor. He grunted, fumbling with his toolbox.

"Another day in paradise," he muttered, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Can't wait to see what overpriced, underperforming piece of junk rolls in today."

The bell rang, signaling the day's first customer. Jack's shoulders tensed as he turned to face a middle-aged woman clutching her keys.

"My car's making a funny noise," she chirped.

Jack, his hair a tousled mess from sleep, leaned against the counter, arms crossed. A thick layer of grease smudged his overalls. The woman, a petite figure with a worried frown, stood before him, clutching her keys.

"My car's making a funny noise," she chirped, a forced brightness in her voice.

Jack's eyes, narrowed with irritation, briefly scanned her face before returning to the crossword puzzle he'd been attempting. "Funny how? Like a stand-up comedian or more of a sitcom laugh track?" His voice was flat.

The woman's smile faltered. "I mean, it's making a strange sound." Her voice, now laced with a hint of annoyance, echoed in the quiet shop.

Jack sighed dramatically, his posture slumping further. "Pop the hood," he muttered, more to himself than to her.

As she walked towards her car, her steps were filled with more determination than before.

As he leaned over the engine, the woman hovered nearby, peppering him with questions.

"Is it serious? How much will it cost? Can you fix it today?"

Jack's patience was wearing thin. "Ma'am, I just started looking. I'm not a psychic."

"Well, I never!" she huffed. "I want to talk to your manager."

Jack's jaw clenched. "Sure thing. Let me get Dave for you."

Jack slouched in the overstuffed chair, eyeing the decor of the therapist's office with disdain. Dr. Carter's relentless optimism grated on his nerves like nails on a chalkboard.

"So, Jack, how are we feeling today?" she chirped, her Minnesota accent thick as molasses.

He grunted. "Just peachy. Thanks for asking."

Dr. Carter's smile never wavered. "I have a great idea for you. How about we start a gratitude journal?"

Jack's eyebrows shot up. "A what?"

"It's simple! You post one thing you're grateful for every day on Facebook. It'll help shift your perspective!"

Jack's jaw dropped. "You want me to do what? On Facebook?"

"You betcha! It'll be great for your mental health."

Back in his cramped apartment, Jack stared at his laptop screen. Reluctantly, he typed:

"Grateful for customers who think their cars run on magic and pixie dust. #blessed"

He hit post, grimacing. Within minutes, comments poured in.

"Wow, way to be a jerk to your customers."

"Someone needs an attitude adjustment."

"Is this supposed to be funny? Because it's not."

Jack's face flushed with anger. He frowned while sipping his tea.

"Oh, for crying out loud!" he shouted at the screen. "Can't you humorless idiots take a joke?"

Jack trudged into Grease and Gears the next morning, his head pounding from a restless night. He was a second generation car mechanic. This place was his home. He'd barely made it to his workstation when a whirlwind of energy burst through the door.

"Jack! My man!" Mike's voice boomed across the shop. "Guess what? I just friended you on Facebook!"

Jack jumped, both at the volume and the implications. "Great," he muttered.

Mike bounded over, grinning from ear to ear. "Saw your post last night. I didn't know you were into the whole gratitude thing!"

Jack's stomach sank. He'd forgotten about this disaster.

Later, in the break room, Mike cornered him again. "So, about your journal entry," he began, his brow furrowed. "I have to say, it was... interesting."

Jack braced himself for the lecture.

"But hey, I'm all for trying new things!" Mike continued, his smile returning in full force. "Maybe next time focus on the positive stuff, you know? Like, 'Grateful for the trust customers place in us.' That kind of thing."

Jack forced a grin through clenched teeth. "Thanks for the tip, Mike. I'll keep it in mind."

"No problem, buddy! We're all in this together, right?" Mike patted him on the back. "Oh, and I was thinking of starting my own gratitude journal. Any advice?"

Jack's eye twitched as he held back a sarcastic retort. This was going to be a long day.

Jack watched as Mike bounced away, his enthusiasm leaving a trail of invisible glitter in his wake. He rolled his eyes and pulled out his phone, thumbs flying across the screen.

"Grateful for coworkers who think Facebook is the pinnacle of human achievement. #blessed #livingmybestlife"

He grinned, pocketing the device as he returned to work. The day dragged on, each car bringing a new set of problems and unsuspecting customers. When Jack stumbled into his apartment that evening, he was itching to vent.

He flopped down on his worn couch, fired up his laptop, and navigated to Facebook. The comments on his earlier post ranged from confused to outraged, with a few laughing emojis thrown in for good measure. Perfect.

Jack cracked his knuckles and started typing:

"Today I'm grateful for customers who think 'check engine' lights are suggestions, coworkers who believe in the healing power of hashtags, and a therapist who thinks my life will improve if I spam social media with fake positivity. #blessed #namaste #livingmybestlife."

He hit post with a satisfied grunt, then sat back to watch the fireworks. The mixed reactions and comments were entertaining indeed.

Chapter 2

Jack was hunched over his workbench, sipping a lukewarm cup of coffee, when Mike burst into the shop, his face lit up like a Christmas tree.

"Jack! My man! Your journal entries are amazing!"

Jack almost choked on his coffee. "What?"

Mike's eyes sparkled with excitement. "Your journal entries! They're so deep, so insightful. I never knew you had such a philosophical side!"

Jack stared at him, stunned. Was Mike serious?

"That part about the check engine light being a suggestion? Genius! It really made me think about how we often ignore warning signs in life."

Jack's mouth dropped like a fish out of water. He couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"And the one about hashtags? Man, that really hit home about how we're all looking for connection in this digital age."

Jack felt a headache coming on. This wasn't how he expected his sarcasm to be received.

Later that week, Jack found himself back in Dr. Carter's office, slumped in the same overstuffed chair. The silence of the office made him uncomfortable.

"So, Jack, how's the journaling going?" Dr. Carter asked, her smile as insistent as ever.

Jack grunted. "Just peachy. People are eating it up like candy."

Dr. Carter nodded in encouragement. "That's wonderful! Let's dig a little deeper today. Tell me, what's really on your mind when you write these entries?"

Jack sat at his cluttered desk, staring at the blank Facebook post box. The cursor blinked mockingly, daring him to type something genuinely positive. He sighed, running a hand through his unkempt hair.

"Alright, doc," he muttered, "let's give this gratitude crap a shot."

His fingers hovered over the keyboard. What was he actually grateful for? The question felt foreign, almost painful. He wiggled his fingers in front of the keyboard. After a moment, he began to type:

"Today, I'm grateful for... the smell of motor oil. It means I have a job. And maybe, just maybe, it means I'm making someone's day a little less crappy by fixing their car."

Jack paused, surprised by his own words. He quickly added, "Even if they don't appreciate it."

He hit post before he could change his mind, then slammed his laptop shut.

The next morning, Jack awoke to his phone buzzing incessantly. Bleary-eyed, he checked his notifications. His eyes widened in disbelief. The post had gone viral overnight, with thousands of likes, shares, and comments.

"What the hell?" he muttered, scrolling through the replies.

Jack trudged into the shop, his usual frown deepening as he noticed the unusual buzz of activity. Heads turned his way, and he caught snippets of conversation.

"There he is!"

"The gratitude guru himself!"

Jack's stomach churned. What fresh hell was this?

Mike bounded over, grinning from ear to ear. "Jack! You're famous, buddy!"

"What are you talking about?" Jack growled, though he had a sinking feeling he already knew.

"Your post, man! It's everywhere! Even Dave shared it!"

Jack's eyes darted around the shop. Customers were pointing and whispering. His coworkers wore knowing smiles. This was not how he'd planned to start his day.

In the break room, Jack slumped into a chair, his head in his hands. Mike followed, practically bouncing with excitement.

"I don't get it," Jack muttered. "It was just... words."

Mike clapped him on the back. "But they were real words, Jack! You showed your true self!". An impact wrench seemed to emphasize the last sentence.

Jack's frustration boiled over. "That wasn't my true self! It was just... I don't know what it was!"

He looked up at Mike's bewildered face. "Don't you see? This isn't me. I'm not some... gratitude guru or whatever. I'm just a grumpy mechanic trying to get through the day."

Jack sunk in to the familiar chair in Dr. Carter's office, his fingers drumming an impatient rhythm on the armrest. The therapist's perpetual smile grated on his nerves more than usual today.

"So, Jack, I hear your latest post caused quite a stir," Dr. Carter said, her voice tinged with that irritating Minnesota lilt.

Jack grunted. "Yeah, you could say that. Suddenly, I'm some kind of... gratitude guru." He spat out the words like they left a bad taste in his mouth.

Dr. Carter leaned forward, her eyes twinkling. "And how does that make you feel?"

Jack rolled his eyes. "Like a fraud. This isn't me, doc. I'm not some beacon of positivity."

"Perhaps not," Dr. Carter agreed, surprising Jack. "But maybe there's a middle ground. You don't have to be all sunshine and rainbows, Jack. But finding small moments of appreciation... that could be valuable."

Jack mulled over her words, a reluctant seed of consideration taking root in his mind.

Later that evening, Jack sat at his cluttered desk, staring at the blank Facebook post. He took a deep breath and began to type:

"Alright, folks. Let's get one thing straight. I'm not your gratitude guru. But maybe... just maybe... there's something to this whole appreciation thing. Today, I'm grateful for air conditioning. Because without it, this hellhole of an apartment would be unbearable. And trust me, you don't want to smell me after a day at the shop without it."

Chapter 3

Jack was elbow-deep in an engine when a voice cut through the mechanical din of the shop.

"Jack! The man of the hour!"

He looked up, grease smeared across his forehead, to see a well-groomed man in a tailored suit striding towards him. The stranger's pearly whites gleamed as he grinned, a sleek Bluetooth headset clinging to his ear.

"I'm Max Sterling, and I've got a proposition that'll knock your socks off!"

Jack blinked, unsure if the man was talking to him or someone on the phone.

"Your gratitude journal entries are pure gold," Max continued, gesturing dramatically. "We could turn this into a book, maybe even a seminar series. Think about it – 'Gratitude from the Grease Pit: Life Lessons from a Cynical Mechanic'!"

Jack's confusion morphed into annoyance. Was this guy for real?

Later that evening, Jack paced his cramped apartment, venting to Mike over the phone.

"Can you believe this crap? Some self-help guru wants to turn my stupid Facebook posts into a book. It's ridiculous!"

Mike's voice crackled through the speaker. "But think of the money, Jack! And hey, maybe your unique perspective could help people."

Jack scoffed. "My 'unique perspective'? Give me a break."

Jack slouched in the therapist's chair, his arms crossed defensively. Dr. Carter's perpetual smile grated on his nerves as she leaned forward, her eyes twinkling with enthusiasm.

"This could be a wonderful opportunity, Jack. Projecting a guru persona might help you explore different perspectives."

He rolled his eyes. "Yeah, because pretending to be a fraud is exactly what I need."

"Think of it as an acting exercise," she urged, her Minnesota accent thick with excitement. "You could have fun with it!"

Jack's resolve wavered. The promise of extra cash was tempting, and a small part of him was curious about the whole ridiculous situation.

"Fine," he grumbled. "But I'm not wearing any stupid guru robes."

Later that evening, Jack sat at his cluttered desk, staring at a blank document on his laptop. The cursor blinked mockingly as he struggled to channel his inner self-help guru.

"Embrace the grease of life," he muttered sarcastically, typing out the phrase. "It'll make your engine of happiness run smoother."

He cringed at his own words, torn between his natural cynicism and the need to sound inspirational. This was going to be harder than he thought.

Jack slumped in the familiar chair, eyeing Dr. Carter warily. Her ever-present smile seemed extra bright today, and he braced himself for another dose of optimism.

"So, Jack, how are you feeling about your new role as a guru?" she asked, leaning forward.

He snorted. "Like a fraud in a cheap suit."

Dr. Carter nodded, unfazed. "I understand. But consider this: perhaps this is an opportunity to explore different facets of yourself. To practice empathy and authenticity in a new way."

Jack raised an eyebrow. "Authenticity? By pretending to be something I'm not?"

"Not pretending, Jack. Expanding. You might surprise yourself."

He mulled over her words, a small part of him intrigued despite his skepticism.

The next day, Jack entered the break room at Grease and Gears, desperate for coffee. He froze when he saw Mike and Dave huddled over a phone, chuckling.

"Jack!" Mike beamed. "Your latest post about 'embracing the grease of life' really spoke to me. I've been trying to find joy in the messiest oil changes!"

Dave nodded solemnly. "It's good stuff, Jack. Got me thinking about my approach to managing the shop."

Jack's stomach churned. People were taking his words seriously? The weight of unexpected responsibility settled on his shoulders, leaving him unsettled.

Jack sat on his threadbare couch, staring at the ceiling fan as it lazily spun above him. The day's events pressed down on his mind. He'd never asked to be anyone's role model, yet here he was, influencing people with his sarcastic ramblings.

He thought about Mike's earnest attempts to find joy in oil changes and Dave's newfound management philosophy. It was almost funny, if it wasn't so damn terrifying. What if his words actually made a difference? What if they made things worse?

Jack ran a hand through his hair, grimacing at the lingering smell of motor oil. He'd always prided himself on his honesty, even if it came wrapped in layers of cynicism. But now, with a book deal and potential seminar series on the horizon, he felt like a fraud.

Could he really go through with this? Spout feel-good nonsense to crowds of eager listeners? The thought made his skin crawl. But then again, maybe there was a way to do it on his own terms. To be honest about life's struggles while still offering a glimmer of hope.

Jack sighed, reaching for his phone. He had a decision to make.

July 31, 2024 01:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.