0 comments

General

She needs to work today. I know this. She knows this. Heck, the noisy thing she constantly types on knows this. It’s a fact. Work needs to get done today, but I honestly don’t care. I saunter over to where she’s typing away merrily, her fingers quick as birds wings. I’m almost certain she hasn’t spotted me, so I take my opportunity, pressing my body close to the floor in a crouch and pounce.


“I see you,” she laughs, grabbing me mid-jump and pulling me into a hug. I hate it. Her hands are freezing, despite my thick fur and I can smell the soap on her, a smell I’m going to have to spend hours to lick off. Seriously, I hate it, but I still let her cuddle me. It’s a small sacrifice in the great scheme of things and if I play this just right, I might be able to get her to take me for a walk.


A walk? I hear you say. What kind of cat likes to go for a walk? I’ll tell you what kind. Me. A long walk on a cool summer’s day can be an exhilarating experience. Especially on our block. We have all sorts here, from the mild-mannered Labrador on the corner to Mr Barkley’s overenthusiastic Husky.


I once had a run-in with the blue-eyed devil and nearly lost my tail, but my Ava came to rescue me, just like she always has. My tail is still crooked from the experience and when Ava hears the Husky howling at night, she blushes and looks over to see if she can spot Mr Barkley. I’m sure she’s just ashamed that she didn’t save me in time. I mean, I almost died!


She nuzzles my fur one more time and puts me back on the floor. I get the flash of a smile, but then she’s back at work. This won’t do. Not today. Not when the sun and air beckon me to be in it. The apartment we stay in is tiny, but I don’t mind most of the time. The cramped spaces mean I have dozens of nooks to choose from for my napping and playing find the cat can be hilarious, but days like today make me wish we had a backyard. One with a sunspot and an abundance of nature for me to laze about in.


I jump onto the table where Ava’s doing her typing. Honestly, the racket she makes is crazy. I test her alertness by tapping my paw against her hand. No response, more typing. It occurs to me that I have ten, perfectly sharpened claws that might make her pay attention to me, but then she smiles, patting my head. 


Okay, okay, no claws.  


I position my body and the second she looks away, I drape myself over the surface of her noisy machine, effectively blocking her from continuing to type. She gives a half-hearted sigh, picks me up and places me on the floor. 


Well, that’s annoying.


I’m not proud of what I did next, but drastic times as they say. I fall onto my back and expose the soft hairs on my belly. It’s degrading, really, but I purr contentedly as she rubs my fur, besotted with my cuteness. I jump to my feet again as Ava gives me a quick pat on the head.


That should do it.


I walk towards the door, thrilled at the prospect of going into the world. To my utter horror, Ava doesn't follow me and instead turns back to that insufferable thing and is back to bird speed in mere moments.

 

No. No. No. 


I’ve had it. I can see the shadow’s on the building across the road begin to lengthen. That could mean rain or snow or dark and if that happens, you can be sure we’re not going anywhere. So, it comes to this. I have already humiliated myself this morning, what’s one more mortifying thing before lunch?


I jump onto the table and take my place next to her, making sure to face her flashing fingers and begin to heave. It’s a great trick, if you can do it, but makes you look like a complete fool, so be prepared. Her reaction is immediate. She jumps up, grabs me and we’re out of the door in seconds. Ava sets me down on the small patch of grass outside the door and just watches me. Her eyebrows are narrowed in concentration, waiting for me to heave again.


“You okay now, Mo?” I trill softly and weave between her legs. The air out here is much colder, but I can smell the freshness of the air and the earthiness of the tree roots digging into the soft soil. It’s wonderful.


“I need to work, sweety,” she says, moving to pick me up. I’m ready to make a run for it. I need to be out in the open air, even if just for a few minutes. My body coils in anticipation, but instead of lifting me, Ava is staring in the direction of Mr Barkley’s house.


“Let’s go for a walk, Mo,” she says, smoothing back the tiny hairs on her head. I’m on cloud nine. This is fantastic. The day is already warming up and I can smell the other animals in the neighbourhood wanting to get out too. It registers, but only vaguely that we’re walking straight toward Mr Barkley’s house. The moment we come to it, that Husky starts barking like its possessed.


Ava begins to talk to him, her free hand positioned on her hip. I just want to walk, why is she making it so difficult today! I spot the Husky through the gate with its huge eyes and fluffy fur. I rarely make friends with other animals and this hyperactive squeaky toy isn’t gonna make the cut.


At least Ava allows me to walk around the car, so I take my time sniffing, enjoying the smells of the world; the roads, the grassy fields, the urine of some dog - gross. It's then that I catch a whiff of something familiar, but I can’t quite place it. I inhale deeper to expose my nose to the smells of the rich bouquet.


“Say hello Mo,” Ava says as she lifts me off my feet. I begin to push away from her, but then that smell catches me again. I sniff at the air, sniff Ava, sniff everything.


That’s when I notice Mr Barkley is holding something in his arms. The ball of white fur twitches slightingly but doesn’t try to wriggle away. Ava moves closer to him and I’m now so close to the furball that I begin to realise that the smell is emanating from it.


I trill softly when suddenly, two orb-like eyes become visible in between the mounds of fur. The eyes stare into mine, demanding my attention. It’s a look I realise I’ve seen before. It’s intense and vulnerable and makes my insides feel like mush. It’s the look Ava has when she blushes and glances over at Mr Barkley house.


A look we both currently have smeared across our faces. 

April 21, 2020 18:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.