0 comments

Drama Fiction Fantasy

The day started like any other. I was sipping a cup of coffee when I heard the post drop onto the mat. Among the usual dross was an official-looking letter. My wonderful Grandma had passed. This was so unexpected, that I doubled over, the shock took my breath away. Then the pain hit me, and sobs caught in my throat. I fell to my knees. Time passed, and my sobs stilled. Then I thought about her being all alone, and more tears flowed. Hours passed. I felt so overwhelmed by sadness. Eventually, I fell into an uneasy sleep on the sofa. I woke up, and wondered why I was not in my bed. Then I remembered and the pain hit anew. I picked up the letter again.

I found, to my surprise, she had bequeathed her entire estate to me. I was touched. Grandma had lived in a sweet cottage, in the middle of a wood, but I thought she had probably rented it. None of that mattered though, I wouldn’t see her smile again, hear her infectious laughter, or listen to her wondrous tales. She had been my only family, Mum and Dad had died in a car crash when I was very young. Grandma had scooped me up and taken me to live with her. After a long time lost in grief, I awoke one morning to the sun lighting up my room, bird song, and the tantalising smell of breakfast cooking. Gradually I began to fit into village life.

The solicitor had asked me to call on him. I took a couple of weeks off and met with Mr. Bedwin. He seemed a throwback to bygone days. Mr. Bedwin solemnly cleared his throat and began to read the will.

Astonishingly, not only had Grandma owned her cottage, and three acres of land, but she had left me an amazing amount of money, as well as all the contents of her home. The only stipulation was that I must stay in the cottage for three months before I could do anything with the property. I was surprised, but I would follow her wishes.

I bought a few essentials, pasta, tinned tomatoes, an onion, and two bottles of wine, then followed the carefully marked map to what would be my home for three months. As I expected the place was magical. It was August, and the flower beds in the front garden were a cascade of colour. I opened the door, to be met with a host of homely smells as if I’d been given a warm olfactory hug.

Once inside, my feet took me unerringly to the back of the cottage, and the kitchen. There was the huge pine table, just as I remembered. Above it hung an old-fashioned clothes drier, with bunches of herbs hanging from it. Most of the table was covered with bottles, jars, and many books. I was eager to see the back of the property, so I entered the walled kitchen garden. Someone must have tended it recently, there was not a weed in sight, and enough fruit and veg to last for months. I decided to unpack my car, check the rest of the cottage, make something to eat, and settle in.

When I took my suitcases and bags upstairs I peeked at Grandma’s bedroom. It was all chintz and faded lace, with the faintest reminder of her perfume in the air. Tonight I would sleep in the guest room. Time to eat, I thought. Back at the car, I picked up my laptop and the bag of groceries, locked it, and made my way to the kitchen. I opened the door, and there stood a youngish man, and on the table sat an enormous black cat, with large green eyes, and a superior smirk.

We humans both jumped with shock. The cat simply sat, as before, but there was a definite look of disdain on his face now. The stranger and I said at the same time,

“Who are you?“

He said, “I’m Simon, the gardener.”

I said, “I’m Rosie, the granddaughter.”

At that point, we both sat down at the table. Simon introduced the cat.

“This is Satan, mouser extraordinaire. You've had a shock. Let me make you a cup of your Grandma's restorative blackberry and St. John's Wort.”

He noticed my look and interpreted it correctly.

“I was here a lot in the last few weeks, I pretended to your Grandma it was because I needed to eradicate a particularly invasive weed in her flower beds. Really it was because I felt she was becoming a little frail, and I was worried”

Before I could utter a word he said,

“I wanted to let you know about what was happening, but when I tried to mention it she became agitated, saying she would not have you worried over nothing.”

I said, quickly, before he could speak again,

“Firstly, stop reading my mind, it is disconcerting. Secondly, I know my Grandma, and that is exactly what she would say. Still, I wish more than I can say that you had told me.”

“Firstly, I understand, and I will try to stop doing that. Secondly, the night before it happened, I sat for hours wondering what to do. I was going to speak to her again, but it was too late. I am so sorry.”

He silently handed me a box of tissues, then busied himself with making tea, to allow me to regain control. I could understand why Grandma had been so fond of him. In my experience, most guys were incapable of feeling empathy.

We drank our tea in companionable silence. Another surprising thing, as I rarely felt comfortable around people. Trying not to seem as if I was probing, although I was, I said,

“I was going to make supper. Would you like to join me, or do you have someone waiting for you?”

Oh my days, could I have been more obvious. Simon almost managed to hide a grin, maddeningly.

“I would be delighted to join you, thank you.”

Ah, he hadn't answered the other question, I had gotten away with it. Then he said,

“As for your second question, I don't have anyone waiting for me, I am very single.”

Drat it. I blushed an unbecoming shade of red, then dashed to the stove and began to chop onions.

We chatted as I cooked. Afterward, Simon insisted on helping me tidy up, and then we sipped a glass of wine.

Simon suddenly jumped up, startling both Satan and I. Satan let it be known how upset he was by giving Simon a little warning nip.

I spluttered “What the.....?”

“I'm so sorry, I had forgotten the letter from Alice I was meant to give you.”

It was odd to hear this person I'd just met call my Grandma Alice. Simon did his usual mind-reading trick.

“It must be weird hearing me call your Grandma Alice. Believe me, I wished I could have called her Grandma too, she was the closest thing to a family that I had. I was orphaned at age fourteen and went off the rails for a while. The foster homes I was put in were alright, but I knew I didn't belong, so I ran away. Finally, I was placed with a family from this village. I was the only child they fostered, and both of them made me feel as if I belonged with them. That was the turning point for me.

I settled down, began to do well at school, and did some gardening to earn a little extra cash. Alice heard about me and asked me to tidy up her vegetable garden. It was then that my interest in horticulture began. I went to college and then started my gardening business. Thanks to your Grandma.”

He saw my startled look and blushed. Yes, he blushed.

“I did not mean to blurt out my entire life history, I don't do that. You are so much like Alice, I forgot for a moment, sorry.”

It was at that moment that I fell for him. I stood up, took one step forward, into his arms.

It was Satan who brought us back to the present, unfortunately by digging his claws into Simon's leg.

“Ouch, you..... lovely cat you.”

I had to laugh, both at Simon's grimace and Satan's smirk.

When I looked back at Simon I almost cried, the expression on his face combined both surprise and happiness.

“Did that just happen? If it did I want to do it again,” he burbled, and we did.

When we surfaced for air, by mutual, unspoken, consent, we sat at the kitchen table, almost immediately Simon jumped back up again, crossed to the pine dresser, and from a drawer produced an envelope.

I opened it and began to read it out loud. Simon started to protest, and I said,

“Of course I want you to know what she says, so sit down please.”

I began again:

“My darling Rosie,

I had hoped that I would not have to put this burden on you for many more years, but time catches up with all of us. I imagine that by now you will have met Simon. He is probably with you now. If he is, my apologies Simon, but I must ask you to leave for the next part. You are not quite family yet.”

I could almost hear her sweet little giggle, and when I looked at Simon I knew he almost heard it too. He smiled and nodded, kissed me on the cheek, and left.

After checking all the doors were locked, I sat back at the table and eagerly carried on reading,

“So, now we are alone, here comes the part that may be a little difficult to believe. I am a witch, as are you. Your Mum and Dad were a witch and wizard. When we lost them, and I'd read the wills, I found out they both wanted you to grow up normally, with no expectations other than you had for yourself. That was hard for me, but again, I thought I would have more time to broach these subjects with you.

The next difficult aspect you have to deal with is that our family has an ancient duty, we are keepers of the first Book of Shadows and all the others through the ages. It was decided that we could not allow the power held within those pages to fall into the wrong hands. Dark magic is still performed, and those books are sought after. Trust no one, except of course Simon. Satan will always be sure to let you know if anything, or anyone, seems suspicious. So mark him well. Now we come to where those books are kept. There is a hidden library. Let me explain how you can unlock this library. The door is protected by many wards, which require incantations to dissolve them. Some use herbs, and others, spells. It will be best to start early in the morning. There are wards around the cottage, so you are safe, and Satan will watch over you. Even so, put this letter under your pillow please, you know I'm a worrier.”

Once more I could almost hear her sweet laugh, and tears filled my eyes, I missed her so much.

Surprisingly I slept and woke up with a more positive attitude than the day before. Luckily I managed to drink a cup of coffee, shower, and dress before Simon arrived.

I asked if he would like a coffee, and he said I should relax a little, he would make us both a drink. He busied himself with the kettle. I was about to tell him everything in Grandma's letter when Satan jumped onto the table. He sat down on the pages of the letter and stared at me. I saw the tiniest shake of his head, and he opened and closed both eyes twice. 

In any book I've read, when there is difficulty in communication, two blinks mean NO!

Satan jumped off the table, scattering the pages, with some landing on the floor. I started to retrieve them. By the time I had collected all the pages, Simon was back. He handed me a cup and sat down.

“Well, what big mystery did Alice have to tell you then?” 

he asked, in a slightly condescending tone. I had managed to think of an almost believable story to tell him.

“You know Grandma. She was worried about how the people in the village would still get the lotions and potions she concocted for them. Being as considerate as always, she had kept their names secret. She asked me to learn how to make them, which of course I'll attempt to do.”

All this was rattled off in one breath, as I tried not to let my panic show.

Simon grinned as he said

“I always knew she was a witch. How can I help?”

Having expected his reply, I now sounded a little more normal,

“I still have to unpack, where does the time go! I'll also have to read her “recipes” of course, then make a list of what is here, and what I'll have to buy. Can I text you later? You might be able to direct me to which local shops will have what I want.”

I saw him quickly adjust his expression, but not quickly enough. On his face had briefly been a look of anger and frustration. Recovering his aplomb he said,

“Hey, your tea's getting cold, drink up.”

I felt Satan's weight shift from where he leaned against my leg. I glanced down and saw him blink... twice. I cannot describe the chill that flowed through my body, from head to toe. What would have been the result if I had drunk it? Would I have fallen asleep, for a few hours, or forever?

I picked up the cup and pretended to sip it, then said,

“Still hot, that's good. Could I have a little honey, Simon?”

He nodded, and as he turned towards the dresser on which a cute honey pot stood, I quickly swapped over the cups, then smiled as Simon handed me the honey. After adding a teaspoon full I stirred vigorously, lifted the cup to my lips, put it down again, and said,

“Well come on Simon, drink up.”

Smiling, he did just that, and in a second his cup was empty. I wasn't sure that this wasn't a double bluff though. Maybe he had drugged both drinks in case of this eventuality, but no, he would have no reason to think I was suspicious of his intentions.

I sat back and waited to see what occurred next. I wasn't so surprised to see his eyes start to close, but I was hurt. I thought I'd gained a friend, maybe more, who had now proved he was a traitorous weasel. I trussed him up in the chair, tightly. I left Satan to watch him. Much as I felt betrayed, I didn't wish him harm, and I did hope he had only wanted me to sleep for a while, for his sake.

I picked up Grandma's letter again and diligently began to gather all the ingredients she'd itemised. 

The juice of three lemons. 

Three tablespoons of salt

(Three is a magic number) 

Bath of warm water

Always bathe in this before using any magic.

A Selenite wand (in the right-hand drawer of the dresser)

Cleanses the body and your house of negative energy and black magic. 

To begin, after the bath, wave the wand from your feet to the top of your head, at the end of each pass, flick the wand as if to free any evil from it. 

This heightens psychic abilities such as clairvoyance and telepathy. 

In addition, selenite is also considered to be protective against evil spirits and negative energies.

Next, the cottage. Starting from the top of the house, move through all the rooms. When you enter a room, open the window. Go back to the door, and then walk from the door to the window. Waft the wand away from you, as if you were herding any evil towards the outside. When you reach the window, flick the wand outside, then close it. As you leave the room, close the door. Then carry on to the next room.

Now, to open the library door. Use the wand again. Almost the same incantation is used to open or close the door.

Place a white candle, in the heavy brass candle holder, on the floor in front of the pine dresser. Light it. Then say these words:

+

“I AM GUARDIAN OF THE LIBRARY OF SHADOWS

UNLOCK THIS DOORWAY TO VAST KNOWLEDGE

ONLY TO THIS SISTER OF THE FIRST WITCH 

ISOBEL GOWDIE.”

Use the same incantation, with the word “Lock” instead of Unlock” when your work is done. 

I think there is only one more thing to do my dear girl. Remember you have Satan. He is now your familiar, and although he is limited to only yes or no answers, you will find he is invaluable. Give him a large tin of tuna as a thank you from me. I will miss you so much, but I hope you accept this life, and find a wonderful warlock to love as your mother and I did.

I cannot say goodbye my dear Rosie, and should you wish to contact me, simply open my Book of Shadows to page 60."

I was exhausted and tearful, but there was one more thing to do before I could rest. For the first time, I walked down the three steps and entered the hidden library. Somewhere I would find an amnesia spell to take care of Simon.


May 24, 2024 00:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.