0 comments

Fiction Horror Mystery

Fallacies and fantasies. 


I gradually and tightly hugged my doughy headrest and turned my cranium in front of my room’s entrance. The dimness of the room gave me nothing but a wilderness of my fiction. It’s giving me the fantasy from the article I read which in my opinion was a deception.


The article about the man in different people’s nightmares brought me a whole lot of foreign confusion. Its round complexion, murky eyes, thick eyebrows, and fairly pointed nose. Or, perhaps, it isn’t. Possibly, it is a soft and petite nose. The way they describe the man seemed fine but the portrait itself is way too vicious. They called the man in their dreams, this man.


If this is a paranormal or spiritual mystery hidden within the subconsciousness of oneself while the confusion was lurking around the dreamer’s brain, this might be useful as typical evidence to prove a theory that conceivably, dreamland does exist.


I scanned again my browser, silently hoping to find a concept within the website that has a distinct and unique description of the man in their dreams, but there are none. Every dreamer has an indistinguishable portrayal of the man’s details which is too absurd to be pondered as a truth. Their assertion was way too perfect that it made me believe that it was scripted. 


They describe the man in the dreams way too perfectly like they have met him in reality.


I heaved a deep sigh before turning my head again, but now facing my room’s ceiling. My mind is being disturbed by a bunch of thoughts. I closed my eyes wanting to fall asleep even with my hazy mind, but it wasn't as easy as I thought it was. I couldn’t sleep. I just couldn’t.


I opened my eyes again and planned to shift my muscle but to my horror, I couldn’t move even a single finger. The image of a man standing in front of me with a knife in his hand brought fear to my whole system. 


Is he going to jab me?  


“I ain’t a myth, fallacy, and deception. I am your nightmare, Triv. I am your trepidation.”


As he raised his hand while holding the knife with the vicious grin plastered in his round complexion, I almost cried. He is way too terrifying that would make everyone piss on their pants. The man seemed to be so hostile that I couldn’t even look at his face for too long.


I tried to open my mouth and scream but I couldn’t and when he was about to hit me, I managed to move my tongue.


“W-Wait!” I shrieked which made me wake up from terror. I was shrouded in sweat. Anguish and turmoil compelled my body to tremble. My heart thump slows down but it's throbbing so bad. It’s excruciating. The nightmare is suffocating. 


My heartbeat is at its abnormal rhythm. 


I immediately got up from my bed to fetch some chilled water from our fridge to alleviate my nervousness. The setting is quite depressing. The only thing you’ll hear aside from a dead stillness is the insect’s outcry. The silence is deafening which would compel everyone to assume that chaos is near. It’s too bizarre. The insect's outcry added more suspense that made me tremble with fear.


“It’s been a year, Triv,” a voice of a man uttered. It horrified me when a familiar voice from my posterior spoke. It’s the man in my nightmare. Tears build up because of fear.


This can’t be true! This must be a dream! This man is all fictional. There’s no scientific explanation that’ll prove his existence. There’s no way in hell that he’s true! I am just hallucinating! I have to wake up! 


The man grinned before he slanted his back unto the wall just a meter away from me.


“You reckoned the idea of your God, but you don't acknowledge me? You assume the unseen: deity, air, afterlife, epitome, and redemption, yet you don't believe what you've seen?” the man sarcastically said. Entirely outraged by his remarks, I threw the glass in his location with all of my strength. 


The exact moment that the cup was approximately about to hit him, it halts in the air propelling me to be more surprised than ever. 


“Human-person doesn't discern gravity at all,” he declared. “Your notion of gravity is not meticulous. I am not asserting that your science is erroneous. It is partially authentic but not wholly accurate.” 


He snapped his fingers which provoked the glass to fall. 


“You, humans, are unstable beasts. Immoral. Faulty. Vicious. Fond of negligence. Creators of numerous faults then rendered the same mistake again,” he said while crossing his arms and tapping his elbow using his index finger. “Mortal’s immoral succession. Errors after blunders. Impaired. Weak,” he insulted. He beamed again. His statements keep on booming in my head. He’s driving me to insanity.


“If you’re not like us, t-then what are you?” His brows puckered but his creepy smile is still plastered in his round complexion. 


“I am nonentity but a saga. I am the gravity itself but can't be categorized as gravity by humans' portrayal of gravity. I am the utopia but not the atmosphere you'll see on sunny days. I am the rain but not the rainfalls. I am the conflagration but not as feverish as it appears. I am the water but I am not as decent as it is. I am in between ebony and white but I am not gray. I am not God but I am the god of myself. I am trivial and hearsay. A nightmare itself but can't be fiction without the dreamer.”


“I am the riddle without an answer,” he said. As his body fades, the whole room changes its shape. It was another trance. 


“W-Wait!” I shrieked which made me up from terror. I was shrouded in sweat. Anguish and turmoil compelled my body to tremble. My heart thump slows down but it's throbbing so bad. It’s excruciating. It’s suffocating. 


"De javú," I murmured as actualization hit me.

July 17, 2021 10:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.