0 comments

Holiday

Tobias rushed around quickly trying to help his daughter get ready for the babysitter's place, his new boyfriend, Stephen, was struggling to help him he'd never dealt with children before.

They piled into, Stephen's car and rush down the road the radio droning on, the get little Mozella to the babysitter's and Stephen drops him off at his first job the bookstore. Charlie the clerk and manger greets him coldly she's been doing that since him and Stephen got together almost a year ago. He puts his coat and hat in the break room and helps out the very sparse customers that arrive at the tiny little shop. Most of the time, Tobias was sitting on the stool reading his own book that he got for Christmas.

Soon it was six 'o clock, he quickly bundled back up and waddled across the street to his second job, "Marge's Flowers". Over there it was more hectic, last many gifts, husbands or wives in the doghouse, elderly couples coming in to get their grandchild some daisies.

After they closed, Tobias began his cleaning duties, make sure the planets are watered and well groomed, sweep the floor, clean any spills, count the drawer, which he already did, and check for any squatters. Once all duties were done for he exited the shop and locked up, he didn't see Stephen's car anywhere. He checked his watch, "11:30 PM", odd he was always on time. He waited until, "11:40" before walking to Stephen's work only to find out he'd left an hour ago to pick up his step-daughter.

Tobias locates a payphone and calls him, getting no response

10..9..8..

He calls him again still nothing then he sees, Stephen's beat up car pull up, "Get in"

Tobias sees his daughter wide awake in the back excited for the New Year. Stephen pulls into a pub and brings them inside as the countdown plays on the boxy TV.

6..5..4

Stephen holds Tobias's hand and holds his daughter on his hip watching the ball. He felt all his love for these two people in his life he was so thankful to be in their lives. He kisses, Mozella's head and then his kisses Tobias.


..3..2..1..Happy New Year!

December 27, 2019 16:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.