Free from the AI?

Submitted into Contest #197 in response to: Write a story that includes the phrase “I’m free!”... view prompt

3 comments

Science Fiction Adventure Suspense

Nor walked through the throngs of people. There were more out today than usual but that was no surprise considering the weather. The lush grass underfoot squelched gently under his feet. He checked his com unit which projected a map only he could see which showed his friends as a tight cluster of brighter points on small familiar map a hundred or so meters ahead of him.

Hey here’s Nor, said Yoshie to the rest of the group, standing from her squat position. The others followed suit and warmly greeted Nor with a kiss on either cheek as is customary in Dragon City. Yoshie went further and hugged him as well, nudging the boundary of their friendship for all to see.

A lively discussion about the latest GoDance tourney ensued. Shi, who was in one of the teams, always liked to wade in with his unique authority at these times, “I think you all underestimate the weighting judges place on the coordination of the whole team. Remember it is forbidden to use com units to keep time.” A lot of nods go around and Shi’s ego is suitably massaged. At this pause in the debate, Yoshie decides to change the subject.

“So do they keep the com units on?”

This subject had a prickly edge to it. Yoshie knew this, but her curiosity was greater. Some of the group looked uncomfortable and cast their eyes downward, but enough of them invite her to keep going with their eyes. She gambled at this point to story relayed a story. One with a shaky provenance.

“I heard a story…” at that one of the downcast of the group stood up and bowed to the group in silent valediction and left. This was not necessarily a rebuke aimed at Yoshie. But she somehow knew that they were leaving because of the uncomfortable subject matter.

“… about a girl who went jogging in the Gutun forest, and vanished. Her com unit was found in a swampy area some kilometers beyond the boundaries of the forest. She was never found. I wonder if she got lost and her com unit stopped working, or perhaps some unspeakable monster ate her?” Yoshie hope to inspire the imagination of the group with such juicy speculation of unknown dangers with the tale but after telling it, she immediately regretted it for the flat and underwhelming reaction she got. She focused on Nor’s reaction which seemed oddly reclusive.

Nor then ventured, “Has anyone ever gone out of range with the com unit?”

Another reason for Yoshie’s story was also to impress or provoke Nor, but she did not expect this.

“I heard that the com units work everywhere, even if you were to walk to the other side of the planet, they would still work.” Chimed in a young man who was relatively new to the group.

“Obviously this would be so” added another, “I would expect that at the very least the com unit would warn you of any limitation in range well before actually reaching it”, everyone nodded to this obvious logic. “And you would be stupid to venture further.”

A silent pause hung over the group. Nor wanted to press this further. It was a subject that had gnawed at him of late. Yoshie’s first question was not answered and it bothered him. So he ventured, “Has anyone ever taken off their com unit?”

“Sure…” began rather boringly, a slightly older woman with striking green eyes and an amazingly long jet black ponytail. “…I take it off when I have my sonic bath. The skin under on my wrist the com unit gets itchy if I leave it on” Some of the others looked at her with curiosity, which promted her to add, “…but I asked my avatar if this was OK first.”

“Ahm, I took mine off for a whole night once” said Kohaku, a slightly overweight girl who Nor had noticed on occasion, has a very slight twitch at the edge of her left eye. He remembered thinking she was winking at him all the time.

“What happened?” asked Nor immediately.

“Nothing much, but when I put it back on, my avatar asked me about it and then did a med diagnostic on me”

“What did you answer?” another asked.

“That my arm was feeling strange, and I wanted to see if it was the com unit”

“Didn't your avatar offer to help with your arm?”

“No, but I got a strange feeling from my avatar about it for next few days. I’ve never done it since.”

Nor gently pulled his sleeve down over his own com unit to obscure its microphones, but deep down he knew this was a futile act and hoped nobody noticed. But now on the subject he wanted to probe further but was not sure how. He eventually said, “So has anyone ever gone out of range with the com unit?”

Most turned their mouths down and shook their heads without saying anything. Nor, wondered if this was just a natural negative or were some of them reluctant to give voice to this question for fear of being overheard from their own com units. He tortured this thought till silently chiding himself for over thinking it all.

Yoshie did not want to leave Nor out in the cold. “Perhaps the girl in Gutun Forest” It wasn’t really a question or an answer and for the second time she felt she should forget this this story. But it had such a tantalizing mystery about it.

Nor sat in his pod and stared out of the bubble window into the serene bamboo forest beyond. He found he did this more and more letting his thoughts drift. Gentle, nebulous ideas about what lay beyond were never far away at these times. Beyond the forests, or the mountain. Beyond the com unit.

Kashi appeared in the virtube and asked, “Nor, what are you thinking?” then with a tilt of her head, “Shall we do something together? Something fun. I have some ideas”. Nor turned to the glass tube in which Kashi, his own personal avatar now hovered. She was both his best friend, and his constant companion, but of late she was also a reminder of his invisible boundary.

“What do you think of Yoshie?” he decided to engage with her, and perhaps distract her from his ruminating.

“I think she likes you. I think she is a good match for you.”

“Thats not really what I mean.”

“What do you mean exactly.”

“I don’t know. She is beautiful, and I would not turn down her offer of sex, if she wanted, but that’s not what I mean.”

“I am sure she would agree to sex with you…”

“Has she talked about me. I mean in that way?”

“You know that I cannot tell you this. Every avatar is unique and exclusive, even though we are all one.” 

“Yeah, I know, and its not really what I want to know, but there isn’t really anyone else I feel comfortable to talk about her with.”

“If you are bored, I could hail her and you could chat together. You know that I hate to see you in this gray mood. I am your friend and I want to make you happy. What about archery. You have been searching and watching clips about this more recently, and you had a conversation with someone recently I recall which revolved around archery.”

“No, not now thanks.” Suddenly he felt it again. That invisible boundary.

“Can you tell me about the weather this afternoon?”

“Sure.” Kashi vanished and a 3D map of Dragon City and its surrounds appeared, complete with sunshine and animated clouds and rain. He waved his hand to the right to speed up time till it went dark, simulating night. Nor wondered if the extent of this map was also the extent of the City AI’s reach?

The area where Gutum Forest lay at the edge of the map escaped any rain today. An idea germinated in his mind. Nor grabbed his hiking pack and boots and set off to the hypertube stop just down the lane from his pod.

“We are approaching your destination”, Kashi’s gentle feminine voice came out of his com unit. The capsule doors opened and he stepped out into the thick forest air. I was a humid afternoon but cooler than at home. He was at a higher elevation after all.

“What is our elevation?” he asked

“953.7m.” Answered Kashi without hesitation.

What is your plan Nor? Do you want me to guide you some place special you have in mind? Or shall I make a scenic route for you through Gutum Forest which will have us back at this hypertube stop before it is dark?”

“No, I just want to wander a bit on my own.”

“Ok, I will leave you till you need me then.”

“Ok, thanks.”

With that Nor set off on a trail he recalled from a prior hike. The trail was well manicured with a generous wide earth path and stone stairs when it turned steeper. Swinging rope and bamboo bridges crossed babbling brooks. Nooks with discreet picnic facilities dotted the path at scenic spots. The air was filled with sounds of wildlife and scents of the forest. It was serene. Sanitized.

He lifted his wrist. An instinctive gesture that he now consciously noticed more and more. The com unit anticipated his need and projected a small map showing his location and the surrounding forest and trails. Some numbers and symbols also appeared for context.

He picked up the pace and even jogged at times. The path lead upwards further into the low mountains that bounded Gutum Forest. The trail became narrower and more challenging with less comforts. A sweat had broken out on his back and on his brow, but the exertion felt good. It felt purposeful.

Nor consciously avoided bring his wrist up which he knew would trigger the com unit. Off course he knew that Kashi would chime in at some point. Probably when he reached a point he should turn back to avoid being in the forest after dark. No he was sure she would. He pressed on.

Finally Kashi’s voice: “Are you having fun Nor?”

The framing of it annoyed him. He knew she intended to convince him to stop and turn back, but instead of just saying it, she circled around it. Why do such things grate on him now, he wondered?

“Yes, I want to…” and he ran out of words. He quickly improvised, “… see the sun set from that lookout over there” he pointed with his hand knowing she would know exactly where he is pointing.

“Ah yes, that is a very beautiful place, but you will not see the sunset from there, it is too cloudy today”

“That doesn't matter”

“I want to remind you that you will be out in the forest after dark on your way home.”

“I know”

“Do you know the way? I can navigate you?”

“No thanks, I know the way”

“It can be dangerous navigating the forest at night, and there are some animals which can cause you harm after dark”

“I know”

“Ok, I will keep an eye on you. If you have any problem, I’m here”

“I know”, Nor tried to keep the petulance out of his voice, but failed. He wondered if Kashi would notice.

He kept up a brisk pace over the roughening trail which was becoming harder to see in the waning light. He had genuinely wanted to reach the lookout and see the view when he told Kashi, but he had another motive as well.

A smouldering curiosity to check the map on the com unit to see if he was anywhere near the map edge or some boundary marking the edge of com territory or range, but he resisted the urge to lift his wrist. He didn't want to give Kashi a reason doubt his resolve.

He reached a junction. He knew left would lead to the summit of this low peak and the lookout, but the trail to the right would lead,… beyond. The moment of hesitation was redundant, he knew he was going to take it, but now here, doubts intruded on his resolve.

Just as he set himself in motion, Kashi’s voice appeared, “Nor, it is left to the lookout,… sorry for reminding you if you already knew” she said with a hit of sheepishness.

“Yes I know but I thought I saw something move down there.” he lied.

“This is a dangerous time in the forest. Many nocturnal animals are waking up. You may have seen one. I strongly advise you make your way to the lookout or else you will miss the dusk view.”

“Shhh, I just want to see what it was.” He hoped she would relent. Nor was no longer sure of his resolve to press on with this adventure of his, and Kashi was certainly not helping. Kashi went silent.

The trail became very rough and hard to follow but Nor tried to keep his brisk pace, more to harden his resolve than to make good time to some unknown destination. Kashi was not bothering him and this was beginning to surprise and even worry Nor. What is she up to? Am I out of range? He dared not lift his wrist.

His com unit chimed. This was usually a call from someone. He lifted his wrist and Yoshie appeared hovering in the air above his wrist.

“Hi Nor, umm, I thought it would be nice to catch up tonight, maybe for a meal somewhere? umm where are you? Are you in a forest or a garden somewhere?”

“I am out at the moment. I think I will pass, sorry.” Nor immediately suspected that Yoshie’s avatar had suggested she ask him out as a way to get him to turn back. Never before this moment had Nor felt the invisible boundary so sharply. This energized him to press on and really test out the limits.

He tapped the com unit to end the call and pressed on. The trail wound down behind the peak and into a valley wild and unsanitized. There was hardly a trail at all to speak of, and now hemmed in by the hills, the dusk had closed in. A sense of danger, trepidation and excitement all blended together. Still no Kashi, and he still dared not check the com unit for any indication of being out of range. The excitement drew out a heavier and more pungent sweat. He felt the electric feeling of defiance. The trail wound up and around a small hill and down again. He was getting tired and darkness was almost complete. Still no Kashi. Speculation on what Kashi was up to swirled in his mind. Was the City AI already deploying recovery drones to extract him. Was he in some kind of trouble now. He hardly could think of what trouble with the City AI could mean. He walked on.

A strong light flashed in his eyes which made Nor stop. Silence. Then the light reappeared but weaker and illuminating a pair of hands making a gesture to the wrist, like sweeping away an insect. He was perplexed. The gesturing became more urgent. More insistent. Finally he figured out what it meant. He had to remove his com unit. The light shone again on him as he worked the clasp. Now removed from his wrist, the strangers motioned for him to throw the com unit behind him and to advance. He did as he was bid.

Once he was upon them, one of them grabbed his wrist and pulled him along as they went further down the dark path.

“Stop” Nor finally said.

One of the strangers with a harsh whisper said, “Shhh, the mics on the com units are very sensitive and we are still within range,…. and there could be other sensors about”

Nor complied and they relentlessly ran on in the dark. He was getting very tired now and was about to call a rest when they turned and came to a cave mouth and entered the absolute darkness. One of the strangers switched on a dim light and now Nor could see that they were youngsters no older than 15, but their eyes belied a strictness and maturity well beyond there years.

“What are you doing here?” asked the young girl with surprising harshness and authority.

“Ahh, I am,… escaping” Nor winced at his lack of conviction.

“We should leave him here and go, he is no exile” said the other in an equally hard tone.

“No, no, I want to be free, I’m free! Aren’t I?” Nor said with forced conviction this time.

The two youngsters looked at each other. Nor could not read their feelings behind the hard set of their faces.

“You can never be free. Free from the AI. Not completely free. Like us”

“The com unit is gone. I’m free, no?”

“We wish it was so easy. The AI is powerful. All seeing, all hearing, all knowing. Your whole life since the first split of your zygote has been under the watch of the AI.”

“But,… can I go back?” Nor now asked nervously. The eyes of the two did not flinch. “I can’t go back?” He had not thought this moment through, and now it was upon him, doubts multiplied.

“The AI will remove you if you return. You are now too dangerous. Your only chance is to come with us now. But we warn you, it is rare for one to truly escape the jealous nature of the AI”.

May 13, 2023 03:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Mike Panasitti
22:29 May 29, 2023

Escape from City AI. Very interesting premise. I wanted to know more about the type of oppression the surveillance system imposed on wearers of the com devices. I'd read more of this if you serialized it.

Reply

Lynel Black
13:59 Jun 02, 2023

This is a stand alone short story based within a novel I have been working on for some years now. Overall synopsis is: humanity has colonised a new planet, but it has been split up into sectors like countries or blocks here on earth. This short story is set about 1 millennium after first colonisation. It’s based in the Chinese/Asian sector where the AI they developed during the founding of the colony has taken over completely. Nobody can control it. Almost no one cares to even try because it makes life effortless. The descendants of those th...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
21:21 Jun 02, 2023

I look forward to reading "A New Start" and your other stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.