A Moment Like This

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story about a proposal. ... view prompt

5 comments

General

“Please, just tell me babe,” I plead with David as we come to a stop at a red light. But he only turns around and smirks at me then looks back onto the road. 

David had been my boyfriend since middle school. It all started as a joke. We were getting teased about liking each other in class because we always did things together. We were just friend at the time though, but nobody believed us. I started to develop feeling for him in the ninth grade, but we started to grow distant from each other at the time. He was a jock, a football player, and a player. He was always getting into fights and started to play with girl's feelings and emotions. It was at that time that I realized that we would never be together.  

He lost his mother when we were in the eleventh grade and everything changed. He wasn’t himself. Even though we barely talked through ninth and tenth grade, I was still there for him. It still took him a while to let me in. He told me his mother passed away due to cancer, and his dad left the house soon after. I was happy that he let me in.  

By twelfth grade, he has completely changed, he started taking his football and grade more seriously and got a full rid scholarship to Harvard to play football. He asked me to be his date for prom and confessed that he loves me. We were prom king and queen and have been together ever since. It hasn’t been hard since were both now seniors at Harvard. 

I sigh in defense and look out the window as the light turns green and he starts driving again. 

“I already told you, it’s a surprise,” he says chuckling.   

“How much longer will it take us to get there?” I ask him looking back into the car. 

“Were here!” He states giving me a huge grin. 

I look out the window and see that we are at the carnival. My eyes wide and I start to jump a little in my seat exited. David knows I love the carnival and we haven't been able to go for the last 2 years because we have all been really busy. He gets out of the car and opens the door for me. I grin at him widely as I come out of the car.  

“Do you like it?” he asks even though he already knows the answer to it. 

“Yes, I love it babe. Thank you so much,” I say giving him a small kiss on the cheek before we start going into the carnival. 

And after about 3 hours of walking around, playing games, wining prizes, holding all the prizes, getting on all the rides, we start to get tired. 

“You ready to go yet?” he asks me. 

“Yeah, I am exhausted,” I reply. Holding all these prizes is not easy. 

We start heading back towards the car and I lean against David's shoulder as he wraps his arms around my waist protectively. He opens the door to the backseat, and we put the teddy bears and the rest of the rest of the prizes in. I tilt my head so its resting on the window and I close my eyes and just then I fall asleep.  

“Babe, we’re home,” I hear David say in my sleep then I smile. 

“Already?” I ask smiling, opening my eyes. 

“Yes,” he says chuckling.  

He gets out of the car and comes to open the door for me. 

“I’m really tired,” I say smiling at him. 

He picks me up bridal style and I start laughing. He is such a sweet guy; I think to myself. He leans down and gives me a small kiss before we start walking up the porch.  

“Okay were here, you can go in,” He says laughing at me as he puts me down before entering the house. 

“What, so you're not going to take me in?” I ask him. “I won’t make it to the room,” I add. 

“I have another surprise for you inside, so you have to walk,” he says smiling. 

“Another surprise baby, you didn’t have to do this, what I meant by break was a day away from studies,” I say. 

“Trust me, you are going to really like this one,” he says grinning. 

He opens the door and extends his hands for me to go in first. I walk into our house not knowing what to expect. He comes inside as well and closes the door. On the ground, I see a trail of roses all around the house. My eyes widen and my hands go straight to my mouth closing it in surprise. I turn around to see David, kneeling on one knee in front of me inside a big heart shaped trail of roses with a ring out. My heart literally stops.  

“Oh my gosh Babe,” I say already in tears. 

“I can’t imagine growing old without you. When I look into my heart, I see only you. If you can look into your heart and only see me, then we should spend the rest of our lives together. I promise you; no one will work harder to make you happy or cherish you more than me. When I think of the future, I like to picture us as two trees planted side-by-side, our roots growing together more firmly as the years go by, and our children sprouting like seedlings around us. You deserve the very best, someone who will back you up without limits, let you grow without borders, and love you without end. Will you let me be the one? Lilly Mai James, Will you marry me?” By the end of his words, I'm in full on tears and so is he. 

I nod my head trying to wipe my tears. 

“Yes,” I say crying. 

He slips the ring onto my ring finger the jump on top of him for a hug. He picks me up and spins me round as we start laughing. He puts me down and looks deep into my eyes and says “I love you Lilly” 

“I love you David,” I say looking back at his big brown eyes. 

I wrap my arms around his neck and get on my tiptoes to kiss him. He wraps his strong arms around my waist and pulls me closer to him. 

 This is the moment in my life I've been wanting. Everything's perfect. No worries. I never want this moment to end. This is a perfect moment to treasure. A moment like this! 

July 16, 2020 05:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Orenda .
07:27 Jul 16, 2020

Awww...that was so simple and cute. One thing I'd want you to note is kinda keeping an eye while you edit, ya know, there are some typos which the readers might get distracted with..nonetheless. I enjoyed it.

Reply

Aisha Makama
18:54 Jul 17, 2020

Thank you so much for the feedback. And i will keep and eye out next time.

Reply

Orenda .
18:59 Jul 17, 2020

No problem!! and would ya mind giving feedbacks on my story? Thanks!!

Reply

Aisha Makama
19:05 Jul 17, 2020

Okay, no problem. :)

Reply

Orenda .
19:14 Jul 17, 2020

💖

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.