10 comments

Coming of Age Creative Nonfiction Funny

“Hello, Cindy?”

“Yes.”

“I am Tracy- “

“Oh, hey Tracy, how are you? Long time, no see.”

“Yeah, uh, actually I had call you for some reason.”

“Okay!”

“Actually, my daughter, uh, I think she is suffering from many problem’s, and I somehow know the solution too, like, she needs to love herself, but don’t know how to put it into, like how to execute it. So, I need your help.”

“Okay, so I think you should…”

I knew that she is the person who can help me.

Well without confusing the reader I am going to tell you what’s going, who is Cindy, who am I, who’s my daughter and everything related to this “Story”. So, I am the mother of Moon, not the moon in the sky! I kept my daughter name moon, because in sky you can see amply of stars but moon is the only one, big and bright. So, I kept her name Moon, I don’t want her to be a common one, but a unique one. And Cindy, she was my school friend, and she is a psychologist.

Well now a days, Moon is having a grumbled mood, first I thought it was because of her academic’s pressure, but then I found out it was because of her love life, which isn’t going smooth. She wanted a boyfriend but has none. And she thinks now she isn’t pretty; she is lacking confidence in herself. She thinks that smart-phones can solve the problem, well smart-phones are isn’t that smart. Tinder (dating app), Instagram, Facebook, and others social media are not enough for the entertainment purpose. You cannot cede on the world’s beauty for them. So, when I talked to Cindy, I came to know how to execute my “sOlUtiOn!”

When I entered in her room, I lost my temper, “WHAT THE SHIT IS THIS?”

She muffled, while her eyes glued to mobile, “Some sweatshirt on bed, I broke the make-up-box, and some of my track-pants.”

“I can see that too. Move your ass, and start cleaning it.”

She made grumbled face and said, “I can’t even breath properly in this house.” Before I could say anything, she got up and started picking her shit up. “Good. Now come with me.”

“Where?”

“In the most beautiful place.”

“And where is this ‘Most beautiful place’?”

“That’s a surprise for you!”

“But it’s snowing outside mom, and when you can see everything on Google then why to go out from the house?”

“This place isn’t registered on Google map, and no one knows about.”

“Sound mysterious”

“It is!”

We wore the jacket and went down. While I was locking the door, Moon sat inside the car. I kept key inside the pocket, and wished it would work the way I want it to. She shouted, “Mom, what’s taking you so long!”

“Coming honey.” I Sigh. Wish me luck, readers

And sat inside the car. While I was driving, she was on Tinder, swiping left and right. She muffled, “Mom, don’t peep inside my mobile!”

“Oh, come ‘on, we are like friends, you can tell me anything and everything!” Well, I spied on my daughter and found out her problem, don’t judge me, I am a mother, and should know what’s going on with her life, and she doesn’t tell me anything so I spied on her.

And in return of reply she gave an eye roll. “Don’t make that grumpy face and, don’t pass that eye roll sweet heart.”

“Mom, I want to reach that ‘mYsteRiOUs’ place safely and securely, so please pay attention on the driving. Or else I can drive it for you.”

“Hate to say, but you have a point.”

She looked at me and smiled, “I always do, mum.”

After an hour we reach there. We got out. And I looked at my left, that old tree, was not having a single leaf on it, its branches grew so long, then what I have remembered, the tree was turned dark brown which looked like black. I turned to my right side and saw, only snow, but when we were small there used to be lake, a beautiful lake, on which sun rays used to dance. Now look at this place it looks so changed. “Seriously mom, we drove all over here to see this cabin.”

“Yep, I used to come here with your grandfather, when I was small.”

“Why haven’t we ever come here then? And why now?”

“Because I had a very busy life when I grew up, then I got married, and had you, so didn’t got a chance to come here again. And I am astonished to see this place so changed!”

“Can we get inside that cabin, its bitterly cold here.”

“Yeah, let’s go.”

I unlocked the door, and saw the same old red carpet, which was designed in an Indian antique style. But was now covered with thick layer of dust. The arm chair, where my father uses to sit and relax like a king, was now under the rule of spider and their webs. The wall looked so old, I traced my finger on them and my finger was cover with the dust. I looked down on the wall, to search the mark which my father and I made, and I couldn’t find it, might be, because of the dust. I went inside, and I heard Moon voice, “Whoa, there a profuse of books. Who the heck, used to read them? I bet you mom; the reader wouldn’t have finished reading even half of them. And there are tomes too.” I laughed proudly and said, “Darling, I have read all of them.”

She said in an astonished way, “You were the reader!” I shook my head. She laughed and said, “You were the nerd, mom.”

“It’s not called, ‘nErD’ it is called a bookish person. I loved to read.”

“Okay, I am sorry. Well, what made you a reader?”   

“It wasn’t a bookshop, or library or great-aunts hoard of romantic novels that made me a reader. It was a week I spent in this forest cabin with my dad, which made me a reader. And trust me darling, you can get addict to books quicker, than drugs!”

She was surprised, because she never read a book, nor I read in front of her, sadly she was on her father on this thing. I looked at her, and she said, “Ruskin Bond?!”

“An Indian author with British accent. He made things alive and more beautiful. He mostly wrote children fiction, and children stories. I loved this author.”

“Okay, so let me see this one.” She picked the book delightfully, a spider was crawling over it, so she blew it, “Oh, Room on the roof. You took one of his best Moon.”

“Really!? Well, I am not a reader, so I will just open a random page.”

“Every novice reader says this before being a reader.”

“MOM, this is not going to happen in my case”

“Let’s see.”

She smiled, and read, “The grass was still wet due to overnight rain. I placed the injured butterfly on the palm of my hand and took it into the house, to show it to my dad…” she stopped reading aloud, and I saw her going deep inside the book. And she forgets that even I was present here, and read aloud “I was 7 at that time and my father was 37, but right from the beginning he made me feel that I was old enough to talk to him about everything- insects, people, tree, love, King George, steam-engines, comic, America. We took long walk together, explode old ruins, chased many butterflies, and waved to passing trains…” she stopped reading aloud again and said, “Can I sit there?”

“Of course, honey.”

And sat on the arm-chair, which was very dusty, and she didn’t care a bit, and I am not surprise, because she lives in her messy room very comfortably, so this is nothing in front of that. She closed the book and opened her mobile, she shouted, “WHAT? No NETWORK CONNECTION!”

I raised my left eyebrow, “It’s not like, you cannot live without it.”

“Uh, mom, you knew this right!”

I pout, “Well, uh, no, I don’t know!”

she got up and went in another room to discover the cabin. And this is the time to execute the plan.

I went out of the cabin very quietly, and slowly. And shut the door. When I was locking it, key made a clanking sound, and then I heard Moon shouting from the other side of door, “MOM, I HATE YOU. YOU LOCKED ME IN THIS FUCKING CABIN, OPEN IT UP. THIS IS’NT A MOVIE!”

I laughed, thanks for wishing me luck, readers. I accomplished the mission. I screamed, “THIS DOOR ISNT GONNA OPEN, WHEN I FEEL IT SHOULD BE!”

“MOM, NO!”

M00N***

I heard the engine of car starting, fuck. “MOM, DON’T LEAVE ME IN THIS OLD CABIN” no reply. I am glad to be here. I kicked the arm chair, and hit my own leg instead, “Fuck this, I shouldn’t have come with mom in the first place.” I went in kitchen, and other room to search the window, so I can jump down, but to my surprise, they put a fucking grill in front of every window, so you cannot escape. Well done mom! No network, no internet, nothing, just me and some, no, many books and some tomes, and dust, and this little spider and their web. I tried to sleep on that armchair but I couldn’t, then I roam in the kitchen for a moment and got bored quickly, cuz there was nothing interesting. I sat on the chair again and felt all the books starring me, and telling me to read them. Well, I don’t have any work. So, I opened the book, which I was reading before. But I saw a book, on that huge book-shelf, named, “Color of love.” Title looks pretty interesting, so I got up and took that book, it was the only book here with 100 pages, rest of them were more than 200 pages. I started to read it, and to my surprise I was turning the pages, and felt the urge to read it more and more until it finishes. After two hour I finished the book and cried. Because now I know, instead of expecting love from someone else, I should love myself. I was dying to have a boyfriend, and no one made me their girlfriend, I wanted others to love me, when I myself can’t love me. I got up and went in the bedroom, there was a mirror placed on the wall, I swiped the dust from my hand, so I can see myself clearly. And looked myself deeply, I bent my neck left and then to right side. I ran my fingers in my dark black hair, and opened it, as I made a tight bun earlier. The hair falls over my shoulders gracefully, I bounced them, for the volume, and it was looking so good, I bite my lips slowly, and then I rubbed it, it was looking pink, and I pat my cheeks slowly, and I looked myself, again. “I am so beautiful, dark black thick hair, white skin, pink lip, and a little red upper cheek. I love me, I love myself, I love Moon.” I jumped, and danced, I was waving my hand in air, and I was singing, I don’t remember the last time I was so happy. FUCK BOYS, AND FUCK THEIR LOVE. And showed my middle finger, in the mirror and laughed. And when I turned to left side, I saw a sticky note’s on bed. I climbed on the bed, and sat there, and took the note, “I hope, you have found yourself back, and got your confidence too honey. I spied on you and found out that you were suffering from your love life” I saw another note other side, and took it quickly, “I can’t see you breaking every day and night, nor your dad can see you breaking this hard every day, from the sky. We love you honey, no matter what.” Another note, on the end of the bed, I took it too, “It doesn’t matter, other loves you or not, what matter is, you should love yourself, I can’t see your confidence fading away day by day. Now take a deep breath, and I will pick you up at 6.” Tear fell down from happiness, love you mom.

MOTHER****

Well Cindy’s plan was to lock her in the room, with the books and some sticky notes, so I went in the cabin before I took her. And put that sticky notes, in the bedroom as I knew she would definitely come inside the bedroom, and I kept that book, as I knew, every antique thing gets her attention at first; Mother winks at reader. Without any internet, and network connection. And it worked. So, readers, yes, I am talking to you this time; Moon is now happily living her life, and what about you? Love yourself, and trust me most of your problem’s will come to an end.

January 18, 2021 07:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Firoz Shaikh
20:59 Jun 19, 2021

,😭😍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
11:18 Mar 13, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Sumaiya Shaikh
14:25 Apr 05, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate, as you gave your precious time to read out my story. Thanks a lot again, it means a lot

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sumaiya Shaikh
14:25 Apr 05, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate, as you gave your precious time to read out my story. Thanks a lot again, it means a lot

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sumaiya Shaikh
14:26 Apr 05, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate, as you gave your precious time to read out my story. Thanks a lot again, it means a lot

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 8 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.