0 comments

Suspense Thriller Crime

Trigger warning: Gore

The burning intensity of his eyes made me feel indescribably uncomfortable. His appearance seemed weak. Might it be from the raining weather outside or might it be from illness. His eyes appeared almost as if someone had driven it back into his skull. Drooping and draping over my face as if it was desperately pleading for release. Yellow edges formed around his lids. His nose was sharp. Pointing towards me with a precise direction. And below his mouth, cracking lips begging for moisture. The smell of tobacco filled the room as it broke free from his body carrying it's scent all around. 

If it hadn't been for my mother's instructions as a kid to always be kind to those in need then I wouldn't have allowed this skeleton to step foot in my house. The weather was pouring down like the sky's had been ripped open. I stepped aside gesturing to him to come in. His movements reminded me of a leopard slowly stalking closer to his prey. A shiver went through my body. It took everything inside of me to remind myself that I was being prejudiced towards this man. My mother would be disappointed. 

I tried to pull my best smile. "Would you like a cup of coffee?" The man simply nodded, not taking his eyes off me. Uncomfortably, I turned towards my kitchen. Still feeling the burn of his gaze at my back. 

Waiting for the kettle to boil I send a silent prayer up for the rain to stop soon. My gut has been itching for this man to leave ever since my doorbell rang. Setting up everything I mentally prepared myself to reenter the presence of this petrifying man. 

With a deep breath I reminded myself that I was being too judgemental towards appearances. Or was it the atmosphere? Shaking the thought I walked back inside to my brightly decorated living room. The man had his back to me admiring one of my collectable jars. The contents inside intrigued the man. The colour of the liquid too much for him to make out what I had placed there. I cleared my throat. He turned back towards me in slow movements. Stepping back towards his previous sitting place. We stared at each other for a moment. My fear of this man slowly started to vanish. 

I smirked at him. Confidence reappearing. 

"I see you were admiring my collection?" my voice came out more confident than I expected. He smiled. 

"Very interesting indeed. Mind if I ask what was placed in the one I was holding?" Curiosity laced with something I can not identify came from that question. Joy bubbled inside of me. I do love talking about my art. 

"Teeth of course. I'm not sure if it's human or dog yet. Not exactly skilled with working with bones. But practice makes perfect." Fear briefly appeared in his eyes. He brushed it away quickly enough, making this far more interesting. He nodded silently. 

"You do realize I'm not some shivering man trying to escape the rain?" His voice was low. 

"Not at first, no." I picked up my cup of strong brewed coffee, looking sideways at the collection. "But when I looked into your eyes I saw the look. The look all of them give me." 

He curiously cocked his head to the side. "What look might that be?" 

"The look of confidence. The look that shows what your mind is. Victory. I have been playing this game far too long to know when a man overestimated his abilities." 

"You do not know me or my abilities. Why did you have fear when you first saw me?"

"You will not succeed if you do not know fear. You will also not succeed if you do not overcome that fear." Standing up I walked over to admire my handy work more closely. My pride over the years. 

"You see detective." you could hear the venom in my voice. "I know why you're here. I also know that the paper you're eagerly clutching to is a warrant to search my building. You think I didn't notice the men outside my kitchen window, ready to burst in on your command." 

With my hands stretched out before me, I mockingly gestured to him to make his arrest. 

" I am an old woman. I can not do this anymore. Do you really think I would have let you trace me if I didn't want to. If you look at the room next to my bedroom you'll find a fresh body. Heart has been removed. Two nails were hammered into the eyes. I think she was still alive. I can not remember but I remember thinking those beautiful eyes would look beautiful spiked on the nails. I've been meaning to take them out before you interrupted me. The heart is already placed in my jar. And no she is not the body you have been searching for. I already disposed of her. I do not work as slowly as you guys." I'm sure my facial expression was nothing but joy right now. 

Instinctively I leaned forward and whispered." You can let them in now. I'm  tired, detective. Please take me away to my eternal home. Away from the temptation. Mother would be so proud that I am doing this now."

The detective stood up placing the cold cuffs around my fragile wrists. 

"Let me ask you one question, Trish" I nodded in approval. "Why are you doing this? We never found a motive." 

Memories of my mother flashed in my mind. "I wanted her to be disappointed." 

The cells weren't so cold as they described in the movies. A warm breeze surrounded the cells. It felt comfortable to me. I finally felt at peace. The footsteps became louder as I heard the men walking towards my direction. I can't bother to really look at them but the fear that is displayed on my previously acquainted detective is really something that struck me. I lazily smiled up at my capturer. 

"You didn't mention the mummified body on your bed, Trish." I looked away, uninterested in this conversation. 

"What about it?" 

"Who is it, Trish?" His voice was hard. I assume they had trouble identifying her. I let out a sigh. 

"It is my mother. She likes to nap. Fortunately she never woke up." 

May 31, 2021 08:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.