0 comments

Fiction

Once there was this young woman. She was the intelligent sort. She loved animals. In particular, cats.

When people asked her what sort of animal she would love to have for a pet, she would always reply by saying that she loved cats! "Cats are the sort you can be comfortable with. They are the type that made people feel like themselves. Cats in general are intelligent creatures. Cats are wonderful. " she told everyone she met.

She kept raving to everyone about how she loved cats. Cats in general had many qualities that made them different from other animals. At least she thought so. They had a rather interesting way of going about things or so it seemed. To her! She. Loved. Cats.

So as fate would have it, she was gifted with a pet one day. Her best friend happened to have a cat who gave birth. She kept all of the other kittens but gave the cutest one to her. 

She was overjoyed! She was indeed so happy that finally, someone gifted her a cat! She was very, very, very happy. The kitten was indeed cute. It was furry and soft. It was an unbelievably great gift. She couldn't believe it. Someone gifted her a kitten! It was all she ever wanted.

She took the little kitten home. She gave it a warm and cozy little box as a bed. She kept the box right next to her bed. There was nothing more joyous than getting a chance to see the little kitten wake up right next to her bed!

It was already late when she got home, so after she put the kitten in its box, she turned out the lights and tucked herself in for the night. However, it was quite an audible mew that she heard right next to her!

The little cat was very uncomfortable being alone in its box and seemed to have decided to join her. She felt there was nothing cuter than what the cat just did. She turned on the light.

There was the little amicable baby! The kitten was now trying to befriend her, nuzzling itself against her fingers and her face. The little kitten was so cute, She felt like there was nothing better than having a cute cat like that in her bed!

Unfortunately, she knew she had stuff to do the following day, like go to work. And so she decided that the kitten had to sleep, and she too had to sleep.

So she decided that she would put the kitten to sleep because the poor thing looked like it needed attention. She thought she would take the trouble to try and put the poor thing to sleep because the cute little thing was so adorable and she really wanted to give it all the love and attention it would have gotten at its home.

Suddenly something very strange happened.

"I know what you're thinking" the cat suddenly said.

"Whaa---" she was taken aback. the little kitten...it spoke.

"I know. Your wondering whether I'm comfortable enough, here with you. Well, things are not always as they seem." the cat said.

"Aren't you a smart fella?" she said to the cat.

"Remember, we all have our moments when we feel uncomfortable, but to tell the honest truth, I kinda like it here and I like you as well" the cat replied.

"You're the most awesome cat!" she said to the kitten. "But I have to go to bed, since I have to go to work, and I hope you are okay with hanging out at my apartment?"

"Don't worry. I'll be fine." the cat said wholeheartedly.

She went to work the next day and was her usual self. She typed out all the documents that were lined up in her inbox. She also duly answered calls and sent emails as expected. She made a fine receptionist ordinarily. Though her mind was on her cat at home.

She sailed through the day, and her 9-5 job went on fine as usual. She knew it was time to go home and see her cat at the end of the day. She wondered what surprises lay in store.

When she opened the door of the apartment, the little cat was right there. She put her bag on the table and decided to make good of the time with her new pet. 

"Mew," the cat said.

"Hey, and I thought for a second, that I heard you speak to me last night. Either that was real or I was dreaming" she said to the cat.

"As beautiful as the city of France is, so are your eyes" the cat suddenly said.

She looked at the cat in disbelief. "You do have a way with words." 

"It's not easy being a kitten. You're cute and fuzzy and all that, but people can be mean when you're this little" the cat said again.

"Okay, so you gotta come out with me sometime, would you like to do that kitten?" she asked the unbelievably cute cat.

"Oh no, people should never find out that I can talk. A talking cat? Are you kidding me?"

"You're the cutest cat, and you are coming out with me to meet ALL my friends!" she said gleefully.

" Mew, of course, I'd love to be the center of every party" he said.

Suddenly she didn't realize that her bag was at the edge of the table. It fell to the floor with an awesome thud, and the cat, being a cat, did what a cat does best. It scrambled for life, and ran out the window. She ran towards the window, and the next thing it did was run after a bird in the tree.

"Smart. And I thought Elvis the cat, was going to be the center of every party"

Probably the point of the story is not what they agreed on mutually (because it seems like they agreed on everything) but the fact that they did not seem to get one thing straight.

Cats are cats.

Whether they can speak eloquently and give speeches. They still mew and run after birds in trees.

February 24, 2023 20:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.