Wrong Story

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Set your story in a library, after hours.... view prompt

7 comments

Fiction Friendship Funny

Note: This story features characters from the books "The Royal Guide to Monster Slaying" and "Harry Potter". It might be a good idea to read those first. It might be more entertaining because you would know the characters personality and a bit about their world. You don't need to, though.


Kara Shellerman glanced at the locked front doors of the library. How had Mom forgotten about me? she thought. Her mom worked in the public library and often left Kara there while she tidied up, but today, Mrs. Shellerman had just left. Now it was five minutes to midnight, and Kara was still stuck in the Chilliwack Public Library. 

The lights were off, and it was cold. The books, as awesome as they were, did not give any protection from Chilliwack's numbing cold that always came in winter. Kara sat bundled as warmly as she could in a hammock that hung in the corner. 

She glanced at the clock. It’s midnight?! she thought. Wow. I've been here for so l-

Kara froze. What was that? 

Thump. 

Thump. 

Thump. 

Reading those horror novels was NOT a good idea... Kara gulped. 

“H-Hello? Is someone there?” she whispered. 

The moon peeked out from behind the clouds, casting an eerie light across the room. The faint glow was enough to see the silhouette of... What is that?  

The creature was huge. Kara could see it’s back above the tall shelves. It had eagles' talons for its front legs but a lion's hind legs. 

“You’re a GRYPHON!” Kara shrieked, falling backwards, scrambling away from the beast. 

The gryphon whimpered, making a sound that broke Kara's heart. She froze.

“Are yo-you ok?” she asked.  

“Who are you? And where are we?” a young feminine voice said. A girl stepped around the corner.  

“I KNOW YOU! YOU’RE ROWAN FROM THE ROYAL GUIDE TO MONSTER SLAYING!!” Kara yelled. 

“Yes... that’s me. If you know me, why don’t I know you? And what's 'The Royal Guide to Monster Slaying"?” Rowan asked.

“You’re from an amazing book! That’s how I know you! I’m Kara Shellerman!!” Kara said, a big smile breaking across her face. The gryphon gave a happy roar and stepped towards her. 

“Is the gryphon safe?” Kara questioned while taking a nervous step back. 

“Oh, yes, the gryphon is tame.” Rowan said distractedly, “But what do you mean, I’m from a book?” 

“Oh... um... I can’t really explain it. But...” A horrifying idea suddenly rushed into Kara’s brain. “NO. Nonononono. This is so bad. So so so bad...”  She started pacing frantically,

“What’s bad?” Rowan asked, gently petting the gryphon. 

“You are here. And so's a gryphon! If someone see’s the gryphon, you’ll be arrested or something! Maybe worse!” 

“Uh. Ok? What’s ‘arrested’?” Rowan inquired. 

“You’ll be captured, basically.”  

“Oh. And why's the gryphon a problem?"

"We don't have monsters here!"

"You don't?! That's so sad! Monsters are great..."

"I know. But whatever!"

"So sad..."

“So we need to get you back!” Kara yelled. 

“Ok! Yes! How do we do that?” Rowan yelled back. 

“I don’t know...” Kara slumped to the ground in defeat. 

“Well, how did I get here?” Rowan clarified, sitting down beside her. 

“Well, it was midnight, and then I heard thumping. I think that was the gryphon walking around. Then I saw you guys.” 

A thoughtful look dawned on Rowan's face. “So, it was midnight?” 

“Yes, why?” 

“If it was midnight, what if we used the clock to get back?” Rowan froze. "You guys do have clocks, right?"

"Yes, of course." 

"Phew!"

Kara thought for a minute. “Yes! What if we turned the hands of the clock back to 12am? Then you guys might go back to where you belong!” 

“Ok! Let's try that.” Rowan said, smiling. 

“But... can I have a ride on the gryphon first?” Kara asked sheepishly. 

“Sure!” Rowan laughed. 

***

The cool night air whipped around Kara’s head as she rode high in the sky on the gryphons back. Rowan stood by the library doors, waving up at her. 

After a few minutes of flying, the gryphon ducked into the open doors of the library. 

“WOOHOO! THAT WAS SO FUN!!” Kara yelled after regaining her breath. 

“I know, right?!” Rowan said, high-fiving her. 

“Ok, now let's do this time turning thing.” Kara said. 

“Wait!” Rowan said grabbing her arm. “I don’t want to go back. You’re really fun, and I like this place. (Besides the fact you don't have monsters... SO SO SAD.)” 

“I know... but then the gryphon would have to stay too, and there would be other problems. It just won’t work.” Kara sighed. 

“...Fine.” Rowan grumbled. 

“I’m sorry. I wish there was a way...” 

“No. It’s fine. Let’s just do this.” Rowan brushed passed Kara. 

The duo (and a big monster) stood beneath the clock, staring up at this. The gryphon gently plucked it from the wall and put it in Kara’s hands. 

“Thanks.” 

She looked at Rowan, who nodded. Kara’s hands shook slightly as she pulled the hands of the clock pack until the clock read 12 o’clock. 

Rowan and the gryphon started shimmering, before slowly fading away. 

Before her face disappeared, Rowan whispered, “Good-bye.” 

Kara waved sadly to the spot where her new friends had just stood. She stood there for a moment before a clatter came from behind one of the bookshelves. 

“LUMOS!” a voice cried. Kara bolted over the sudden light and rounded the bookshelf. A figure was wearing long flowing robes and had fluffy brown hair.

“Hermione?” There stood Hermione Granger, a time-turner and a wand clutched tightly in her hands. 

“Not againnn...” Kara groaned. 

***

Mrs. Shellerman glanced at her sleepy daughter on the way back home.

"Are you sure you're ok? You seem oddly happy for staying in the library all night..." she said.

"I'm fine. I just made some new friends, that's all. That's why I'm happy!" Kara yawned.

A suspicious look crossed her moms face and Kara couldn't help smiling to her self.

If only you knew what happened, Mom. If only you knew...


THE END!

:D



April 29, 2021 00:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Tracy Friesen
22:10 May 01, 2021

I think this is fun! It reminds me of "Finding Serendipity" and that series -- but the reverse, where the imaginery world enters the real world. Cool idea! (I did kinda wonder, if she could get out to fly outside with the gryphon, she didn't just leave before this... or phone home. But apart from that, it was fun.) :-)

Reply

Nora Friesen
22:15 May 01, 2021

lol i didn't think about that but i just had to add a gryphon ride in there

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nora Friesen
22:15 May 01, 2021

lol i didn't think about that but i just had to add a gryphon ride in there

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nora Friesen
22:15 May 01, 2021

lol i didn't think about that but i just had to add a gryphon ride in there

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 4 replies
Nora Friesen
00:15 Apr 29, 2021

This is really goofy and I don't know if I really like it... I hope you get some laughs out of it tho!

Reply

Kat Mordaunt
03:24 May 01, 2021

lol I do!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.