0 comments

General

She looked at the new kid Joey up and down with judgment swelling in her eyes. Her eyes looked at his shoes and lingered up to his hair. His hair was dark brown and straight. It parted down the middle and was messy and tangled. He looked at his own shoes in embarrassment. They had holes in the toes and dirt smudges all over them. They were cheap Walmart brand and he was ashamed to show his lack of money. Mavis continued to stare him down when suddenly her eyes shifted. They went from stone-cold judgment to warm and inviting eyes. Her deep brown eyes looked at him with kindness. She patted Joey on the back and welcomed him into Lincoln Highschool. 

Mavis was the senior class president and prided herself on her ability to judge others. One glance at a person and she knew their intentions, good or bad. She walked the halls with clean strides as Joey followed clumsily in her footsteps. She showed him every nook and cranny in the small school before releasing him to venture on his own through the halls, through the other teenagers. Mavis made her last turn to the last classroom, room 203. She explained that the teacher was very strict and very insensitive and to watch out for him. She warns him to not let him get under his skin. Joey nods and looks down at the ground in fear and shame. Mavis notices and assures him he will do great on his first day, that most of the people are not like the teacher in room 203. With a quick pat on the back, she is off to her own classes leaving Joey the new kid to fend for himself, at least she knew he was one of the good guys and had a good heart.

It started in grade school. Mavis was always the kid to introduce the kids to the school, and then tell others what kind of person the new kid was. She could read people like they were a best selling book. She knew how to catch on to gestures in such a way no one else can. She was prideful in that, she used it for good. Everyone went to Mavis Hall for the gossip. The school of only 307 kids was not large, so everyone knew everyone. Mavis knew everyone on a deeper level, through conversations and first impressions. She was not a bully or a mean girl stereotype, even though she looked like it. Her blonde hair curled perfectly over her flawless skin. She walked with grace and beauty, never missing a beat. That is why everyone trusted her so much, she was a nice pretty girl. 

Another new kid transferred from a surrounding school, her name was Reed. Reed walked in the school on her first day in a tight pink skirt and a loose white top. Her brown hair settled in one straight length on her shoulders. She stared Mavis down as she waited to greet her. Mavis got bad vibes from the start but tried to have an open mind. Reeds sandals slapped the floor as she pranced through the hallway. Mavis asked simple questions like where are you from and what are your interests? Simple answers are all she gave in return. Southern Nebraska and my boyfriend. Mavis struggled to make conversation and couldn't make this girl laugh. She though rich kid from first glance. Spoiled, probably an only child. Reed kept eyeing her and making sour faces at her. Mavis glanced over every now and again but tried not to let it bug her. She took Reed on the same tour as Joey and then wished her good luck and went on their separate ways. 

Two weeks had gone by since Reed moved to Lincoln. Reed did not keep under the radar either. She wanted everyone to see her and feel her presence. Most kept their distance from her because if Mavis had a bad connection with her no one wanted to risk having a bad connection with her either. Mavis was like a line of defense for the teens at this school. It was an unsaid rule that Mavis would scope out all newbies and warn the others. Reed flaunted herself through the halls. She had gathered a small posse to follow her around, matching every movement and footstep to hers. She had become that group's role model. She was gorgeous and knew it. Mavis put an image of her in everyoneś heads though. Mavis said her eyes were empty and she had little to no interest in anything other than her boyfriend and her shoes. It seems pretty shallow to the students of Lincoln, not like any of them are perfect in any way. Mavis became curious about Reed and wanted to know more, to make sure she told everyone the right description. 

In the eighth period of the day, Mavis shared a class with Reed, AP English III. They sat close to each other and she seized the opportunity to slide in. She tapped her shoulder before the bell rang for class to start. 

̈ ̈Want to go grab some coffee after school, maybe study or something?¨

̈Sure. Where?¨ 

Still short replies with no interest, she said to ignore it and continue the invite. 

̈ ̈Kellin ́s Cafe and Diner, on Main Street. 6 o ́clock? ¨

̈Sure.¨

Mavis was in and felt a sense of pride, she could crack anyone's exterior. 

That evening when the sun started to pull toward the horizon, Mavis drove slow to the coffee shop. She walked into the shop and breathed in the blunt smell of coffee. It stung her nose but she loved the smell. She saw Reed already there in a whole different outfit. Her hair was in a neat ponytail and leggings now clothed her. She looked like a typical teenager now, the usual outfits. Their eyes met and Mavis went to join her at the round table for two. They both order their coffees, they order the same thing. When the server brings out their Iced White Mochas and cake pops they talked about simple things. They talked about the weather and their favorite teachers. Reed didn't open up much, she kinda only gave the bare minimum for an answer. She seemed reluctant to share any personal information.

Mavis started prying deeper into Reed ́s life without being suspicious. She learned that Reed has a blog, a fashion one of course. Her parents are divorced, a pretty messy divorce Mavis figured out. She learned that her hair is dyed blonde, not natural. Small things that added to the bigger picture of who this girl was. She seemed so shallow and Mavis had no idea why. She seemed to have no depth. Until she did. She opened up almost instantly. It was such a change in attitude and character. All Mavis had said was she was a listening ear if Reed ever needed anything. Then the tears came. She started crying and sobbing into her hands. She cupped the tears as if it was forbidden for them to leave her eyes. Those tears helped Mavis understand this girl on a whole different level.

It seemed sudden, Reed ́s change in behavior was so instant. Until Reed began to explain. It was now 7:51 and they had been there for almost 2 hours. It took an hour and a half to get her to even say her parent's names. She started to spill her whole story to Mavis. She explained that no one has ever made an effort to get to know her like actually get to know her. Reed seemed touched by the kind gesture. Mavis believes that is the reason why she opened up the way she did. She told Mavis that her parents were very hateful people, and embedded hate into her heart at a young age. How she had a constant inner battle to try and defeat her mean girl tendencies. She said how much her parents argued and yelled. How she heard them throughout the night for 10 years of her life. The divorce was only 3 years ago. She was 17 now, but for a while when she was really young everything was okay. She also said how she had lost her only brother in a car accident when she was 4. He was 6 at the time and they were both in the car. Reed explained to this girl she barely knew all of her life troubles. It felt good for them both to let go of all the things that bother them.

They gathered their things spread out across the table and headed for the door. They both thanked each other for the personal therapy session they shared and promised to do it again soon. It was a new trust. The next day at school Mavis had a different mindset. Maybe she can ́t pride herself in knowing everything about everyone at first sight. She needed to actually dig deeper and get to know these people instead of actually judging them the first time they met. Mavis thought Reed was a stuck up blonde rich girl who only cared about herself, but she just needed a friend to talk to. She has a lot going on and Mavis understood that now. She felt bad for writing her off and felt guilty for making people avoid her. They all relied on Mavis so much to unpack all of these people's life stories in one short glance. She knew she never needed to gas herself up that much again. It was hurting people. 

It did help sometimes though. She told everyone how innocent and pure Joey was and his good intentions and great heart. Someone even was kind enough to get him new shoes. They got him hair gel and a new shirt, he looked like a brand new kid. His confidence showed it. He walked with a newly granted swag. His eyes shone so brightly when he looked at anyone, he was so grateful. Even if it did help some, it hurt others. 

Mavis resigned as the student council president and made more time for her friends, and new friends such as Reed. Having the attitude of the typical know it all was not a mask she wanted to put on anymore. She now spent more time on study dates with her friends and going to their houses for middle school style sleepovers. It was a marvelous thing, Mavis and Reed became so close. Mavis was the first person Reed really opened up to, so they had a special bond together. When Reed walked into Lincoln High, that would be the last time Mavis would pick a part of someone's personality again. Many people are deeper than what they let on, they have deeper cuts and bruises than anyone could imagine. Now Mavis knew that for a fact.



October 10, 2019 21:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.