0 comments

Black African American Asian American

“Hey girls, I know it’s been a while, but I wanted to invite you all to a cookie exchange. With that being said I want you all to make your finest cookies, and be prepared to vote for the best tasting cookie. I hope you all can make it”. I sent this message to my friends so that we can get this holiday going. Everyone started texting back in the group chat excited about making the cookies. One of my friends mentioned that she was going to make a “ Coffee Cake Crumble”. My mouth started watering when I seen that message. Little did my friends know, something extravagant was about to change their lives. I had everything prepared and I wanted to be sure that everything goes according to plan. Someone texted me informing me that they were probably not going to be able to make it, but I wanted them to come so bad that I extended the event time to a later time. 

I was relieved when I convinced my friend to come. After confirming that everyone was coming to the cookie exchange I had made my way over to Smith grocery store to get the ingredients for my cookies. I was thinking to make a cheese cake melt down cookie. “Mmm” I thought to myself. As I collected my groceries I exited the store and drove home to settle down for the night. I almost forgot that there was a body in the bathroom. I didn’t know what to do with it, but I had a plan. Luckily there wasn’t an odor lingering through the house yet. I contacted the police earlier during the day letting them know what I received a call/text message from someone threatening my life. But it was false information. “ That bastard had it coming, and I can’t wait to bury his ass”. 

The cookie exchange was in a day and I had to get the house ready for my friends. Good thing there was no blood splattered in the living room. I would have had a hard time cleaning it out of the carpet. I freshen the house up and relaxed for the rest of the night. I figured I’ll make the cookies a few hours before my friends get here. I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

“Beep… Beep… Beep”. My alarm was going off like crazy. I almost threw my phone, but I realized I set my alarm that early to run a couple of errands. I had went out to get me an outfit and my nails down before the cookie exchange. By the time I was finished with my errands, I had enough time to get home to prepare my cookies. I was too exciting about making this cheesecake melt down. The cookies smelt so amazing I almost fainted. My cookies were just about done and all of my guest started arriving. I was very prepared for what was about to go down.

“Ring ring ring” went my door bell. I rushed to get the door to allow everyone one in. “ Girl you look good” Shelly commented. “Oh thank you so much” I replied. As I let everyone in my palms started to sweat just a little. I don’t know why but I had a hunch. “ Welcome everyone. Thank you so much for coming out to this cookie exchange. I am too excited to try everyone of your delicious cookies”. As I finished making my statement I heard my door bell ring again. I peeped through the door hole and noticed that it was Olivia. “Yes, just the person that I’ve been waiting for” I said in my head. I opened the door and greeted Olivia with a fake smile and hug.

 “ Hey hey, I’ve been waiting for you”. 

“Yeah, I’m sorry I’m late. I got carried away at work and didn’t realize the time. 

“It’s okay. Now we can really get this party started”.

“If it’s okay with you, I will like to go to the bathroom and freshen up just a little bit”.

“ Of course, that’s totally fine with me”. 

Without taking my eyes off of Olivia I watched her walk down the hallway into the bathroom. A few seconds went by and I heard Olivia scream “Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!. Omg, omg he’s dead. I can’t believe my eyes”. What is going on here?”. Everyone in the entire house stopped what they were doing and rushed down the hallway to see what was going on. Everyone freaked out and came running to me when they seen the body. “ Mia, what happened?” Sophia asked. “ I don’t know. Last time I spoke to Levi he was telling me that he was going out of town and I haven’t heard from him since.” Mia said in a shaky voice

“We need to call the police” yelled Harper. 

“We can’t, they’re going to think that I did this, because this is my house”.

“Well did you do this” Olivia asked.

“Why would I kill my own boyfriend? I loved this man with all my heart. Maybe you killed him. You were the one having a secret affair with him behind my back”.

The entire room got quiet. No one knew what to say. Olivia started crying out of no where. “ I was going to tell you, but I didn’t know how. 

“ How could you do this to me. I thought we were friend. I always knew you envied me, but I never thought you would stoop this low”.

“I’m sor..”

“Just stop, because I know you’re not. Why did you kill him? Is it because you knew he wasn’t going to leave me for you?”.

“ I didn’t kill him. I loved him too much to do that to him. It had to be you”.

“ Ladies, you two need to stop pointing fingers and contact the police” Camila said. 

Luna picked up the phone and started dialing 911.”911, what’s your emergency?”. Luna replied “ There is a man laying in the bathroom died. I don’t know how long he’s been in there, but we need help now”.

“Ma’am are you in any danger”.

“No”…

“ Is the suspect still on the premise?”.

“ To be honest, I don’t know who did this. Please send help”.

“Okay, help is on the way please stay calm”.

As we all sat there and waited for someone to come help, the room was dead silent. Sherry popped up and said “ We need to get our story straight, because I don’t want either of you to go down for this”. The women talked among each other and came up with a story to tell the police when they arrived. There was a knock on the door and everyone jumped and tensed up. “ Police, open up. Mia slowly opened the door and invited them in. “ The body is down that way”. The police walked down the hallway and viewed the body. An officer walked over and asked “who house does this belong too?”. “It’s mine” Mia replied. “ Alright ladies, since you all are at an active crime scene we will need to take you down to the station for questioning”.

Everyone grabbed their belongings, got hand cuffed and got placed in the back of the cop car. Arriving to the station everyone was quit nervous when entering. The questioning process went smooth. Everyone was free to go home as there wasn’t any evidence to keep the ladies at the station. After the ladies left they station they all parted ways. Mia went home and realized her plan went smooth. So you’re probably wondering how we got away Scott free. We all agreed to tell the detective that it was a suicide. The detectives didn’t go deep into questioning because of how distraught we were.

A week later we received a follow up from the detective that was working the case and they advised use that they results for the autopsy was.The murder was announced a suicide. 

You think I’ll ever invite anyone over here for a cookie exchange. What is a cookie exchange anyways. I just needed my friends to be at the right place at the right time so that I can get away with this murder that I committed. 

You never know who your real friends are until you invite them over for a murder mystery. “DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!”.

December 11, 2020 08:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.