1 comment

Funny Creative Nonfiction Speculative

Every single moment comes on the sense with two possibilities. Either possibility has to pick out, not knowing what could be there in the left one or what could be the outcome if go with the second possibility. How beautiful it would be if we know the result or the problem in choosing the second one.

I entered a high-rise building for the interview. As usual i got two choices either stand in a queue waiting for the lift or go upstairs by moving one by one step till seventh floor. I had two choices either deal with claustrophobia and choose the lift or be prepared myself to lost my breath to reach on the seventh floor after choosing the second option.

Surprisingly to my fear, i chose the lift, just being a matter of ten minutes to fight with my phobia. Finally, i entered the lift including an elderly man in his fifties and a very handsome and gorgeous man dressed professionally.

As the door closed, proceedings upwards, my fear of being confined in the closed area also proceeded ahead.

I consoled myself, " It's just a matter of ten minutes. "

Every second, i was chanting these few words in the same sequence. Unknowingly, this chanting became little audible to both of them.

Every second, the lift was moving upward, the audible level was increasing with the square proportionality.

At the third floor, for a moment the lift's door opened, the most luckiest person at that moment for me, the elderly man moved out of the lift. The door closed again and my sole work of consoling myself geared up. I didn't notice when these words became so audible that the man in the lift couldn't hold his laugh. I opened my eyes which i closed long time ago, found him laughing so hard, one could easily count his teeth.

Yet i didn't stop doing this, only the difference was my eyes were wide open now.

The door opened, i came out as fast as hurricane and stood in front of the lift, promising myself to never use this again, bowing down my head in front of my fear, surrendering myself instead of ready to fight it again.

I went to restroom to freshen up myself so that i would try to look cool and confident though i was not actually. After boosting my outlook, completely eligible to look confident from outside, i went for the interview. I knocked the door and asked permission to come in. As i entered and looked at the person who was going to take my interview, i started feeling giddiness. He was the same handsome man of the lift. He was appointed there for taking my interview, sitting right front of me, again bursted into laugh.

I opened my eyes again. It was like boom! That man, the building, the lift everything disappeared like bubbles.


I was lying in my bed, alarm was ringing so loud that tore through my ear and my dream. It was just a dream, yet I was sweating so much.

Going for an interview was the another phobia, affected me so deeply that i started dreaming about the problems facing right before entering for the interview.

I got out of my bed, freshened up, took bath, dressed so well. I looked myself in the mirror after being finally dressed up and grooming myself.


I compiled all the important documents in a file required for the interview. Once again checked the location where i was supposed to reach. The location was completely new for me. So, i booked a cab. After waiting for almost fifteen minutes, the cab reached at my door, opened the door, i got into it. The cab started, leaving behind every single person walking on the road, turning left and then right. Some time halted for getting the path to be cleared or for the traffic light to turn green. After running on the road approximately two hours, finally reached the exact location.

I got down from the cab, paid the fare, looked at the building. The same structure of the building, i saw in the dream. I pinched my left hand with my right fingers.


' Ouch! i pinched literally hard, it's paining.'

' Oh! It's not a dream. '

I entered the building, approached the receptionist, tried to present myself cool and very confident but inside everything was upside down.

'C' of the confident was actually shifted to next alphabet 'D' of the diffident.


"Nervousness for the interview happens with almost 90% of the candidates and rest get success over it."

I was on the majority side. Again the same situation, two choices, either wait in queue for the lift or go to sixth floor through the stairs.

This time without any doubt, i chose the second one.

" No, not because of fear of being confined in a closed area but due to the dream which already shown me the outcome of the first option."

First three floor, i crossed like biting a cake but the real struggle was yet to come. It was next three floors. The real game was going to start now.

" Like dream, chanting again? "

" No, no.. this time counting. "


I was counting each stair followed by each floor. With each step, my breath was warning me to surrender myself and legs were threatening to give up now.

After a long struggle with my breath and leg, finally reached on the sixth floor. I was gasping like hell, forgot to look fake cool and fake confident.

I knocked the door, asked permission to enter. As i entered, i stared at him open-mouthed.


" Please don't misunderstand me. "

" It's not because of his handsomeness which was yet to notice. "


It was because, he was the same man in the lift laughing at me in the dream.


He said" I am sorry. "

" Was it because he laughed at me in the lift? "

" No. "

"You are late for the interview. You are not punctual. " This was his complete sentence.


The moment i realized, " It is very beautiful if we don't know what could be in the second possibility. "

" Either way choose, it surely has some hurdles of its own kind. It's better to choose any one of the possibility and face the problems that come in the way without regretting for the second possibility. Without thinking, what if i would have chosen second one then such problems might not be there but second choice would also come with some problems , with different tag only. "


July 19, 2021 17:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Roopsy Yadav
13:07 Aug 05, 2021

Very nice

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.