0 comments

General

They say that somewhere, distance unknown, your soulmate is watching the same stars you are. Twinkling and blinking, they look down on you and offer reassurance. I don't believe them. Looking up now, I see only heartbreak. They flicker and flutter like a beating heart before its untimely end, but eventually they too die and their light fades into nothingness.

 

My phone rings. I slip my

hand into my pocket and pull it out, holding it to my ear before giving an

unenthusiastic "hello"?

 

"Margery, come quickly.

I'm at Johnathan's party. There's someone here I'd like you to meet."

 

My sister knows I'm no party-goer,

but I also know she has no ride home, so I feel obligated to go whether I want

to or not. I head back to my car, in no real rush, before hopping in and turning

on the engine.

 

I drive in silence, left only with my thoughts to sort through. It would be a long drive, almost an hour, as I had driven far out of the city to get a view of the stars without any light pollution. I have misanthropic tendencies, which I don’t try to hide, but when it comes to my sister, I would do anything.

 

Ever since our parents died, we’ve been on our own. She’s always been more free spirited than me. She likes the ocean and animals, and she has a lot of friends. I have never been comfortable in social situations, shying away at even the thought of being in a room with more than ten people I don’t know. This party wasn’t going to be fun.

 

I pull up to Johnathan’s house and take a deep breath before turning off my car and walking toward the door. I look through a window next to the front door and sigh. There’s at least sixty people here that I don’t know. My anxiety starts bubbling inside me.

 

“Margery! You made it!” My sister runs toward me and brings me in for a hug.

 

“Hey… lots of people here, huh? You didn’t tell me that when you called.”

 

She laughs. “Sorry, Sis! I did tell you there’s someone here I want you to meet though!”

 

She grabs my hand and pulls me forward toward the back of the room. As we walk, I take notice of the people around me. I have always found it easy to read people. We pass a redhead in a crop top, shorts, and heels. The boys are all over her, and it’s easy to see why.

 

Next, we pass Johnathan, the host. He’s your stereotypical jock with no brain. But he’s sweet, nonetheless.

 

“Here she is! My sister, Margery.” She hands me off to a guy standing in the corner of the room. He’s tall, with blonde hair and brown eyes, a combination you don’t see often.

 

“Hello Margery, it’s so nice to meet you.” He smiles and holds out his hand in greeting.

 

I shake it and nod in return, my words failing me. I can’t seem to get a reading of this guy.

 

“Where’s the restroom?” I look at my sister and give her a look that practically begs her to lead the way for me.

 

“Alright, alright, follow me,” she replies.

 

We make our way to the bathroom, weaving between people and household objects. Once we’ve reached our destination, I ask my sister to stay with me while I freshen up a bit. My anxiety is going crazy.

 

“What was that guy’s name?” I look at her and wait for a response.

 

She fixes her hair before replying, “not sure. Jack maybe? Or Sam? What does it matter? He’s cute and after showing him a picture of you, he said he wanted to meet you. That means he LIKES you Margery. This is good!”

 

There she goes again, always trying to hook me up with the cutest guy she can find with any sort of interest in me. One of these days she’s going to hook me up with a serial killer and I’m going to be his next victim.

 

“Please, just be nice and see where it goes, okay?” She pleads with me.

 

I sigh and give her an “okay” before we head back out to the party. She brings me back to what’s-his-name and scurries off like a roach when you flip the light switch on.

 

“I can tell you don’t like being here.” The guy looks at me and offers his hand. “Let’s go sit in my car, its quiet and we will be able to hear each other better.”

 

Without taking his hand, I turn and head toward the door. While being in a car with a total stranger sounds bad, it couldn’t be worse than being in this room full of people.

 

“This one is mine,” he points to a black mustang parked haphazardly next to a mailbox and a trash can.

 

He opens the passenger side door and gestures for me to get in. I hesitate, before reassuring myself that it’ll be okay. I take a step forward, but before I can muster the courage to get in or back out a run, I feel a sharp, searing pain in my back. I gasp, grabbing the location where the pain is coming from. I look down at my hand and all I see is crimson.

 

I turn around and look at him, shocked and confused. Then, I see the knife. His raises it and brings it back down into my chest with such force, I feel as though my ribs have shattered into a million pieces. I clutch the knife and open my mouth to scream, but no sound comes out. He laughs and hurries away, leaving me there to bleed out, cold and alone.

 

I fall to my knees before rolling onto my back. This is it; this is the end. What will happen to my sister? What will she do without me?

 

I look up, feeling the life slowly leaving my body, and see the stars once more. They remind me that like everything else, I too must die. They shine even brighter now, blurred by my tears, and I know that they too weep for me.



April 25, 2020 23:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.