14 comments

General

As I look up into the sky, I find the stars next to the moon. I’m mesmerized. The stars glisten through the dark eternity. I look to the left, and find a full blank circle. Rounded, and no edges. Everybody says, aim for the moon and you’ll at least land on the stars, but why would anybody want to be the moon? The stars have the galaxy. The moon only has the blank space around it. Why would you want to be the single silhouette on that perfectly circled moon?

My thoughts circle back to reality, though my eyes are glued to the shining stars. The thoughts are moving so fast I can barely tell what they are. Sometimes, when I look at something for too long, it becomes blurry. Mostly it's because I start to have tears leaking out of my eyes, but I also travel into such depth of my brain, that I myself am so surprised to find certain thoughts hanging there. Then my recent thoughts drift back in there, and I forget what I was thinking about and why I suddenly feel this certain way. 

Whenever I'm usually alone, whether I'm in my room, or my bathroom, my mind always wanders to the saddest things. Well, maybe not the saddest, but the deepest. Or at least something that makes me feel bad, or sad, or angry, or jealous. All the evil emotions. 

My stomach just drops, and I feel an emotion that I can’t recognize. It always involves crying, that is all I can say. And I hate this. I immediately start crying for no reason, and everything inside me just flips. I could cry an ocean where Christopher Columbus could sail with his whole crew. 

I hate this emotion and that I have this emotion inside me forever. It always includes crying if I'm alone, or I get so mad, that if somebody told me that zombies will attack us, I won’t care. This anger just lasts for a few minutes though. After that, I still end up crying. 

I just need something for my eyes to focus on, like the stars. And then I make my own theories about life, or why I feel this way. The thoughts change though. My brain throws some thoughts into the garbage, and some in the recycling bin. They either circle around my head for a while, just disappear forever, or make step stones leading to new thoughts. 

The new thoughts roll in faster than throwing them away. Some of them only last for a minute, and some of them last forever. I think about everything and anything. The earth. The shape of the Earth. Houses, reality shows, the future. 

I just hope that I never start crying in front of people I know. That is embarrassing. I always wanted myself to be this bold, confident, always-right girl. And now I’m usually embarrassed everyday, regretting saying or doing something every day or crying almost everyday. I’ve turned into this weak cry-baby, that stresses too much over how she looks, or how she dresses.

But I guess we’re all living life for the first time. I try to remind myself that everyday, but it’s hard when everybody is happier that you are (at least on the outside), smarter that you are, and prettier that you are. You just feel so small and stupid, whether you actually even are or not. 

My back starts to itch, as my eyes start to water. I was laying flat on my back on the tall grass, and I could feel some insects crawling over me. So I sat up and gazed into the darkness, returning to my mind.

I think I realize why nighttime makes me dig deeper into my thoughts. It's as dark and empty as my brain. I mean, I know I have so many thoughts floating in there, but my thoughts are like the stars. My intellect is the moon. It's not always a full moon though. 

You know how kids or even adults try to count the stars? Well, that’s impossible. Just like that, it’s impossible to count my thoughts. Sometimes they turn onto a different road, with no idea of where they are going. And that is what I am afraid of. 

Turning onto a road with an unknown destination. You don’t know where you’ll end up. It could be anywhere. A dead end, on top of a mountain, or into the dry desert searching for water. 

And that is what my mind is. A map with no directions. Just different roads that may lead to one place or another. 

My thoughts aren’t all bad though. Usually, they are influenced in proving everybody wrong. I am not as dumb and ugly as you think. But then I think of all the celebrities. Or people who have actually made it. They are still struggling, whether it is inside their head, or outside. That is what scares me. Not finding happiness. 

Because every version of life in the future that I create in my head, it all ends up with me being happy. And then I think, that is a lot of work to get there. Even if I do get there, I will still have problems. That is what bothers me. I want life to be perfect but it isn’t. Everytime I try to make myself stronger, mentally and physically, it backfires. 

For example, I always told myself that I would be that girl who didn’t take crap from anybody. If someone in my family gave me some constructive criticism, I would take it the wrong way and pretend like I don't love them. I act like I don't care about anything. But the truth is, I care about everything. I care too much.

Right now, i’m rearranging my thoughts. Placing them in different bins. Disposing, recycling, composting. I need to clean up. 

I stare up into the face of the moon, and think, I like the stars better.  

July 20, 2020 19:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Amany Sayed
21:39 Aug 05, 2020

Oh, wow! I definitely did NOT feel that this was an essay, despite what others are saying. This felt real, sure, but only because of how you managed to portray such deep feelings through words. This is so well done, and I really enjoyed it. Wonderful job Sav!

Reply

Sav G
13:36 Aug 06, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
07:16 Jul 31, 2020

Despite the other comments about this story being more like an essay than fiction, I loved this. You portrayed the emotions really well! Also, would you mind checking my recent story out, "A Very, Very Dark Green"? Thank you!

Reply

Sav G
22:29 Jul 31, 2020

Thank you! I will be sure to check out your story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathleen March
21:50 Jul 23, 2020

OK, I'll dive in here and you can ignore or be offended or know I mean well... This is very poignant and thoughtful and full of incredible sensitivity. You have great ability to capture sentiment. At the same time, there is more sentiment than 'story'. You have more of an essay than fiction. I say this because I have worked through the same thing. As a super-sensitive person, I wanted to share my sentiments because I knew they were important. I am still learning how to do that, but can just suggest that you allow fiction to carry you m...

Reply

Sav G
02:38 Jul 24, 2020

Thank you so much for this constructive crique. I was feeling a certain emotion while writing this story. I hope that I captured this emotion. I do agree that I should start writing more fiction. I am struggling to find ideas on what to write about. I hope to find an inspiration for my stories. I very well appreciate this feedback and thank you for being so open and honest with your thoughts! I would love any more advice on my stories!

Reply

Kathleen March
03:28 Jul 24, 2020

Keep working on really fictionalizing the emotions. It’s not easy, I know, from personal experience.

Reply

Sav G
13:28 Jul 24, 2020

Could you elaborate on that please? I don’t understand what that means

Reply

Kathleen March
19:01 Jul 24, 2020

All right, I was trying to say that the great emotional charge in your story gives the sense that it is your own feeling that wanted to be written, which is fine. Still, it feels more like a description of the emotion rather than an actual story. So my suggestion, vague or brief as it was, only was to suggest that you make it feel less like a description you are telling readers about and more like a fictional portrait of a character and setting where the emotion is felt. Does that help? I can try to do better if you still want specifics.

Reply

Sav G
21:06 Jul 24, 2020

I hear you. Thank you for clarifying! I will certainly do better in the future! Again, thank you so much for expressing your thoughts on my story!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sav G
18:06 Jul 21, 2020

Please feel free to comment your thoughts on this story!

Reply

Sahara Carter
19:03 Jul 28, 2020

I like how you explained this feeling! And you’re certainly not alone. Kathleen is right, this definitely is not a short story, but the writing itself is intriguing. Great prose when you were laying in the grass, felt like I was there myself!

Reply

Sav G
19:43 Jul 28, 2020

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! I'm glad you liked this story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.