3 comments

Creative Nonfiction

                       The Little Brick School House

On a recent trip to St. Augustine, Florida, and a tour through a hundred year old school house, I encountered an experience that took my breath away.

As a five year old, I did not attend Kindergarten, so my first experience with the educational forum was the first grade. I was perfectly happy staying at home where I felt safe and content and was quite leery about leaving my treasured home and protective mother to enter into a whole new world and a suspicious environment. My older sister was charged with my welfare and was to see to it that I was deposited where I was supposed to be. At the time, I never thought about a building as having a certain smell nor of the classroom as being particularly odiferous, but this place definitely had a whole new aroma, one which I could not fathom. It smelled like food, it smelled like flowers, it smelled old, and it smelled like, well like, people. There were dozens of children running into different rooms all at the same time, pushing me from one side of the hall to the other. Into this jungle of scents, I was thrust, and now, as I entered this bleak little room in St. Augustine, a room with the same musty smell, I was catapulted back in time as if it were just yesterday.  

As I entered that old school house on that hot August day, the smell of the wood in the room, instantly, brought it all back - a flash of memories I hadn’t consciously thought about in over fifty years. It was 1956 again! I saw myself in first grade – 4th row in, 5th seat from the back, in Sister Rose Alma’s first grade class at Notre Dame de Lourdes’ French Catholic Grammar School in Lowell, Massachusetts.

I saw my desk, (that old piece of wooden furniture), which was to be my home for the next ten months. It had a place for my pencil, and the space under the top for my composition book into which I practiced over and over again printing capital and lower case letters in the Palmer Method until each letter was picture perfect.

I remembered the smell of the book shelves that contained the old Dick and Jane primers and the means by which I learned to read.

 I could smell the dried milk in the bin that held 30 cartons, one of which was given to each student at precisely ten o’clock every morning, and the chalk on the black board that I helped to clean once a week, the board that listed the Math problems we had to solve each morning while Sister took attendance.

I remembered the smell of the rain that pelted the sills when Sister would open the windows for a little fresh air on those early hot summer days, and how she would let us go out into the hall and get a drink of water from the bubbler.

I could smell the inside of the church (St. Jean Baptiste) where we, as a class, went to on the first Friday of every month, and the smell of the incense that Father shook into the air enveloping the vestibule with, what I later called, a religious fragrance.

I remembered the smell of the most beautiful lilac trees that grew in the courtyard during the month of May, (my birthday month), and the musty smell of the broom closet where resided the broom with the longest wooden handle ever made and a brush at the bottom that was so wide, it covered half the room in one pass.

I remembered my very first boy friend, Billy Rocha, and the smell of the hair cream his mom made him wear and how he kissed me in the cloak room on that cold December day.

But, most of all, I remember Sister, (Ma Soeur) She was a tiny little thing in a long black habit that had the deepest pockets we ever saw and that contained, not only her rosary, but several pens, pencils, erasers, and even a pair of pliers. No matter what went wrong in the classroom, Sister could fix it. She was a member of the Grey Nuns of the Cross, a French Canadian order, and we truly believed God spoke directly to Sister and had her pass it on to us. Every now and then, she would slip back into her native tongue and we would get half the lesson in French and half the lesson in English.  Sister didn’t have a fragrant smell. Nuns were not allowed to wear perfume or use shampoo back then. They weren’t even allowed to have hair. She had kind of a starchy odor about her which I can only presume came from the amount of starch it took to keep her headrest in place. We knew when she was coming before we saw her. That starchy smell preceded her.

Sister was kind and judged herself on our success. She never gave up on a student, and never let a student give up. But lest you think she was a pushover, she could smell a Hostess Twinkie or a Bonomo Candy Bar from a hundred feet away and heaven help the perpetrator that was caught eating these snacks during Lent. That poor soul would have brush duty for a solid week. She meant business. She could play volley ball with the girls and football with the boys, a woman of many talents, and as strict as she was, we knew she always had our back. In later years, I came to realize just how bright and gifted she really was.

We would all go on to face our share of fears, faults, and failures, but I believe the resiliency and perseverance we showed later in life, was formed early on in that little brick building called Notre Dame, under the guidance of that tiny little nun, in the long black habit, named Sister Rose Alma.

September 27, 2020 17:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Meggy House
21:23 Oct 07, 2020

This was such a cute story! I really love how you described the environment. I felt as if I went with the narrator back to the schoolhouse. Your characterization of the nuns, especially Sister, was so realistic and vibrant. I'm from the critique circle but I must admit that I can't think of anything to correct. You're a brilliant writer and I'm excited to read more of your works. Also, would you mind checking out one of mine? :)

Reply

Alice Klaxton
00:08 Oct 08, 2020

Thanks so much for your nice comments. Means a lot. I read "Witness Testimonies" and I think it's a great little story from the beginning right up to the very end. The secret to good writing is WRITING....WRITING.. AND WRITING and you are doing just that. Keep it coming. Regards, Alice Klaxton

Reply

Meggy House
12:03 Oct 08, 2020

Thank you so much for your feedback! I greatly appreciate it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.