0 comments

Science Fiction

Marco~

It's been six days since the world ended. Six days. And I am the only person left. Six days ago, an Asteroid hit Earth, wiping out all of human existence. But I was the only survivor. Funny enough, I was sleeping. Through the whole thing. But it wasn't really sleep, it was more like a daze. The daze was like a sleepless dream. I was sitting on my bed, and all of a sudden I just passed out. Images and memories crossed my mind, dancing around my brain, showing themselves in front of my eyes. I could hear everything fine, but I was pretty much paralyzed. I couldn't move. Not even when my father had screamed and shaken me harder than he ever had laid his hands on me before. Not even when my mother had cried over me just two hours before the asteroid hit. Not even when my older brother had ripped me out of the bed and carried me down to the basement. I hate being lonely. I don't know how I will survive.


Amber~

Six days ago, the world ended. And only I survived. The world is nasty and dark now, after the asteroid hit the center of Kansas. It rippled across the continent, and the radioactive waves spread across the world. But I was in paralysis. My textbook from school which I have studied for all six days did not even closely tell me what the reason was for this happening. I looked through my parents forbidden study, finding each and every book they had on paralysis, asteroids, the probability of the world coming to an end, and every other thing relating to this problem that you could ever think of. Nevertheless, I found nothing. Only hundreds of useless books. But, I was the only one left on Earth. And that was something I was excited for. Peace. Finally.


Marco~

"Hello?" I called into the foggy abyss. Like I said. No-one left. Only me. Frustrated, I screamed. As loud as I could. The ugly sound ripped through the air. So I did it again. And again. I screamed and hollered and shouted all kinds of curse words and ugly sounds you could ever think of. My throat was raw and scratchy and ached. I stopped. Then I heard something. No wait, someone.

"Hello?" The voice called. A girl.


Amber~

I heard faint screaming coming from outside. I flew out the back door and listened. A guy, who sounded my age, screamed a bunch of very colorful words, spitting them out like a fountain. I gasped. Then I yelled back.

"Hello?" I cried. Nothing for a few seconds.

"Hello!" I heard. It was quieter, and scratchy. Must've strained it from yelling, I decided.

"What's your name?" I screamed into the foggy afternoon.

"Marco!"

"Polo!" I cried, out of habit. I heard faint laughing.

"What's your name?" He yelled after a moment.

"Amber!" I yelled, biting my lip. I thought I as the only one left, I thought with a pang of sadness. It would've been nice alone.


Marco~

After she responded, I ran towards her voice. I jumped over logs and into the woods I went. I kept running as I screamed, having her keep conversation so I could pinpoint her location. She talked about how she was in paralysis like me. She sounded smart, quoting all these professors and stuff. I didn't even know half of them. I came out of the woods to a settlement of small houses. I saw a girl, sitting on the steps of one of them. Stopping to breathe, I waved. She waved back and stood, clutching a book to her chest. She did look smart. She had glasses and dark brown hair. Her hair reached below the middle of her back. I walked over to her.


Amber~

The guy who came out of the woods was tall, with black hair and dark eyes. He looked nice, so I stood as he made his way over to me. I held my textbook to my chest, almost like a barrier. Marco ambled over to me.

"Well. Nice to see someone other than me for a change." Marco said, taking in the things around him. I smiled down at my ratty sneakers.

"Do you. . ." I paused to tuck my hair behind my ear. He waited patiently.

"Do you think there are others out there?" I asked, cocking my head at him. Marco looked at me confused. This guy was definitely not the brightest. I tried not to sigh as I reworded my sentence.

"I mean, do you think we're the only two left? I mean, surely we can't be. I thought I was the only one, and I'm assuming you did too. So, by probability, there are most likely more people around the country, or the world even, who went through the same thing we did." I concluded. Just then, I heard an ear-piercing shriek. I covered my ears and cried out.


Marco~

The scream filled the air, and Amber dropped to the ground covering her ears. I clasped my ears and closed my eyes tight. Then, just as soon as it had started, it was over. Amber looked up at me.

"Well, there's your answer," I gulped. I grabbed her hand and hoisted her up. She pushed her glasses higher up on her nose.

"Yeah, there it is." Amber said, brushing dirt off her jeans.

"So, are we gonna go find this kid? Help him? Or her, it was kinda hard to tell." I rubbed the back of my neck.

She shrugged.

"Oh come on. You're the smart one here, isn't there some probability thing or something that will help us find him?" I asked desperately. She snorted.

"Excuse me, you don't use probability to find someone. You use it to get the chances of something." Amber raised a eyebrow. My face started to burn. What did I know? I sure didn't pay attention in math class.

"OK, well do something to find this person. We can't just leave them there!" I said, crossing my arms.

"You could've just left me here, no need to come save the damsel in distress!" She shot, air quotes around damsel in distress. I glared at her.

"I thought I was doing you a favor. Guess not. Guess you just wanted to rot alone."

"Would've been fine. I like the peace and quiet."

"So do I," I lied. She snorted again. I hoped it would make her nose bleed.

"You so do not. You ran faster than Usain Bolt!" She cried, laughing.

"Who?" I asked. Amber just laughed harder. I felt my face heat up again. I slammed my fist onto the side of a nearby house. Amber just stood there as I shook my hand and watched my knuckles start to bruise.

"What good will that do?" Amber asked, sighing.

"You really have no sympathy, do you." I said it as more of a statement than a question. She just shrugged again. This girl was starting to get on my nerves.

Then, we heard it again. A screech coming from behind us, but really far away. I swiveled, as did Amber, to listen. This time I heard a word instead of just a yell. It said, as clear as day, HELP.

April 28, 2020 01:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2024-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.