No One Wants To Go New Jersey

Submitted into Contest #102 in response to: Write about a mysterious figure in one’s neighborhood.... view prompt

7 comments

Fiction

No One Wants To Go To New Jersey

It was an unusually warm day for October in Boston. The leaves on the Oak, the Elm, the Maple,  as well as all the others, had   already changed  color, signaling the end of summer. The pleasant weather made it difficult to believe Autumn had already arrived. It was an early Sunday afternoon as  Father Murphy having  just finished Mass was on the church steps bidding a good day to members of the congregation as they exited.  Suddenly, Sean McLaughlin came running up the steps in a frenzy asking Father for his help with a serious matter.  Father Murphy escorted Sean inside to the safety of the church.

"What is it my son? What has you so terrified? You're trembling."

"Father, I was at the Farmer's Market and I  swear  I saw the Grim Reaper. He stared directly at me, I tried to ignore his glare. He is  searching for a soul to take and  I'm sure he's here for mine. It was the way he looked at me I could tell it was my end.  I turned away and ran all the way here. What should I do, Father? Please help me."

"I think you should probably get out of town. I suggest you find a place to lie low for a while and let this incident blow over."

"Where do I go so the Reaper won't find me? I can't think of anywhere."

"Wait, give me a minute to think about it. Where would I go to hide from the Grim Reaper? I've got it! Yes definitely, New Jersey! Yep that's it. New Jersey is where you'll find safe refuge."

"Are you sure Father? New Jersey? Maybe I should stay here in Boston and find a place to hide. New Jersey seems a bit extreme."

"No Sean, I'm sure, New Jersey. Not even God likes to set foot in there.  I feel certain the Grim Reaper feels the same and won't follow you into Jersey, no one wants to go to New Jersey. I have a close friend at Saint Francis Church in Hackensack, Father Thompson. I'll give him a call and fill him in on your situation. He's a good man and will take care of you." 

"Yes but New Jersey, are you serious?  I consider it a fate worse than death.  Please Father, I'm a good Catholic not Jersey. I'm not ready to die "

" Yes my son, your faith is unassailable and you possess a compassionate heart. You know we all eventually leave this life and enter heaven." 

"Of course I'm aware of the fact that we all die. However after a lifetime of devotion to God, to the Church and my unwavering faith, is this the thanks I get? Banished to New Jersey?"

 Well that's all I've got, take it or leave it. If you decide to go, take a bus, don't drive your car. Stay out of Atlantic City and the  casinos . They  breed an atmosphere of sin and you don't want to show weakness. It may give him an excuse to confront you. Now hurry to the Bus station and get outta Boston . I'll pray for you, my son. And when you're out of town I'll confront the Grim Reaper and question him about his motive." 

"Thanks Father, I'll leave right away."

Sean caught the next bus to New Jersey and seemed to have eluded the Grim Reaper. Meanwhile, Father Murphy took it upon himself to investigate Sean's claim of the Reaper in the neighborhood and proceeded to the Farmer's Market. As he exited the Church there was a crowd of  people gathered in front. Sean had evidently shared his experience with some of the congregation and they were looking to Father Murphy to explain the situation. The group  began firing  questions at the priest, demanding answers.

"Father, what are you going to do about this?" Virginia McNulty screamed.

"Are we safe from the Grim reaper?" Another hollered.

"Is he  here for someone other than Sean?"

"Please give us some type of assurance that God will protect us from this evil demon." Sister Mary Teresa asked in a calm and polite manner.

I'm sorry I don't have any information I can give you at this time. I am on my way to the Farmer's Market now to possibly get the  answers to all of your questions. Is there anyone that would like to accompany me on this mission?" 

There were no takers to the Father's invitation.

"Sister Mary Teresa, I don't believe the Grim Reaper is a demon at all. He is just an instrument of the Lord, his purpose is to guide souls to their final destination. He is in no way or manner responsible for the death of those he assists. And he is mentioned numerous times in the Bible as "The Angel Of Death." In some verses it mentions the melancholy and depression he experiences while performing his job. The sadness and sympathy that overwhelms him when the dead realize their fate".  

"Thank you for telling us about who he  is and why he is here, Father."

Mickey Gallagher, a lad of only nine years says. He then runs up to the Priest and gives him a hug.

"I would like to remind all of you that the Lord will provide and protect. Now get on with your day and I will have answers for you when and if I return in an hour or so."

The crowd bids the Father goodbye as he begins his mission to confront the Grim Reaper

The outdoor event was crowded with Sunday afternoon shoppers enjoying the warm weather. Then standing between an Organic Vegetable booth and a Smoothie stand, Father Murphy saw the figure draped in black with his trademark 'scythe'. Clutching his Rosary in hand, he walked toward the ominous looking Angel of Death  to confront him about his purpose and if he was stalking Sean.

"Good afternoon Mr. Grim Reaper, I'm Father Murphy from Saint Peter's Church and would like to ask you a question."

'Yes Father Murphy, I'm familiar with your work. I've attended some of your funeral services. You've got a nice touch in your eulogies, very sincere. Go ahead, fire away, what would you like to ask?"

"Earlier today one of my congregation was here at the Farmer's Market and noticed you.  He  said you looked straight at him and assumed you were on the prowl to collect his soul.  Naturally he was upset and concerned about his impending death. He ran to the church to escape what he believed to be your wrath ."

"Really? I don't remember confronting anyone earlier. I am here to collect the soul of Catherine Mcbride, she's about to suffer a massive aneurysm.  Let me check my schedule. What is his name?"

"Sean McLaughlin, he's maybe thirty-five years old and a good Catholic."

"No, no, no, I don't see him on the schedule.  Wait, I'll check tomorrow's agenda.Voila, here he is", The Reaper chuckles while he reads the list. "Listen to this. He's not scheduled for Soul Collection until tomorrow night and of all places, Hackensack, New Jersey.  New Jersey, now that's some bad luck.  Damn,  I can't believe it? New Jersey? No one wants to go to New Jersey."

July 11, 2021 06:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

S. Closson
01:09 Jul 24, 2021

This was a really good story! The idea that not even Death wants to go to New Jersey got a chuckle out of me. Father Murphy had some real intestinal fortitude to just go up and talk to the Reaper the way he did. I'm glad he didn't end up with a scythe to the neck for his trouble! There were a few grammatical errors sprinkled throughout the story, but they were mainly missing/extra spacing and unnecessary capitalization. One recommendation I would offer is to break up some of your dialogue a tad so the sentences read more naturally. I thin...

Reply

18:56 Jul 24, 2021

Thanks for your honest critic of my story. I would appreciate knowing where the grammar errors were. Most of the time I'm told in my dialogue is where most of incorrect grammar takes place. Most don't understand dialogue authenticity. Again appreciate your help. Santiago

Reply

S. Closson
05:42 Jul 26, 2021

Of course! Happy to help. The few issues I found were nothing major by any means, just some little things. For example, in this sentence: 'It was an unusually warm day for October in Boston. The leaves on the Oak, the Elm, the Maple, as well as all the others, had already changed color', there are a couple of extra spaces in-between 'Maple' and 'as', as well as 'had' and 'already'. '"Wait, I'll check tomorrow's agenda.Voila, here he is", The Reaper chuckles while he reads the list.' is a missing space between agenda and Voila. In...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:56 Jul 24, 2021

Thanks for your honest critic of my story. I would appreciate knowing where the grammar errors were. Most of the time I'm told in my dialogue is where most of incorrect grammar takes place. Most don't understand dialogue authenticity. Again appreciate your help. Santiago

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:56 Jul 24, 2021

Thanks for your honest critic of my story. I would appreciate knowing where the grammar errors were. Most of the time I'm told in my dialogue is where most of incorrect grammar takes place. Most don't understand dialogue authenticity. Again appreciate your help. Santiago

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 5 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.