0 comments

General

Jody found the station unusually crowded for this time of the evening. She hated traveling alone but had no choice today. Her parents were unable to check out the college several hours away with her and she couldn’t reschedule since they were able to fit her in at the last minute. She was dressed up in a travel suit and carried a bag to be able to freshen up and change for the ride back home. As she sat down on one of the least occupied benches, she noticed an older woman alone at a bench.  

“Do you mind if I sit here?” Jody asked.  

“Go ahead,” she said softly after glancing around and taking in the crowd. Jody sat and adjusted her bag at her feet. At the other end, the woman was silent and staring down at her hands. She didn’t seem angry, just lost in her own thoughts. Jody brought out the flyer from the college she was checking in a few hours to review it’s options and benefits. She sighed, wishing that one or preferably both her parents could’ve come with her. It was only moments later when the announcement was made for the boarding of her train.  

When she stood, she noticed that the older woman at her bench also stood. Jody also took note that she too only had one carry on bag with her. Watching the woman out of the corner of her eye, she saw that she was in physically good shape for her age and was able to handle carrying her bag so she didn’t offer her help in case she took offense.  

Jody slowed as she carried her bag. For some reason, she wasn’t sure of yet, she was drawn to the older woman. She watched covertly as the woman stepped up onto the box car stairs and entered the car door. She followed, doing the same. When she made it inside, she was thankful to be out of the heat and sun. She glanced at her ticket and hoped this was the right car. As luck would have it, it was the right car. When she compared her seat number to those around her, a smile played at the corner of her mouth. Smoothly, she walked up to the woman she’d met earlier.  

“Hello again,” she said softly, smiling. “Guess I’m your neighbor.” The woman smiled slightly in response and moved her bag off the seat, making room for her. Jody stowed her bag in the overhead compartment, keeping out the flyer and her purse. “I’m Jody Danvers.”

“I’m Ingrid Martin,” she replied, extending out her hand. Shaking it, Jody was amazed at her strong grip. Her shock must have shown on her face since the older woman chuckled for a moment.  

“It’s nice to meet you,” Jody said, sitting down on the seat. “Please let me know if I start annoying you. I tend to be chatty, especially when I’m nervous.”

“Not a problem dear,” Ingrid said as she gently patted her arm. She went silent and when Jody looked over at her, she had turned her face to gaze out the window. She had the same expression as she’d had on the bench before.

“Here comes the food cart,” Jody said aloud a few minutes later to let Ingrid know. “Wonder what they’ll have on it.”  

“They’re usually pretty tasty items,” Ingrid told her.  

“I’m not sure if I can eat anything, but I know I’d better try,” she mumbled. She took her time when the cart arrived and while Ingrid made her choices.

“Get whatever you’d like,” Ingrid smiled. “It’s my treat.”

“Are you sure?” she asked. At her nod, she went ahead and requested a grilled cheese sandwich, chips, drink, and even a pack of cookies for desert. After a quick prayer over her food, Ingrid started nibbling on her own sandwich. “Thank you so much for the meal.”

“Glad to,” she said. “You seem nervous. Maybe the food will help.”

“Not sure about that,” Jody chuckled. “I’m definitely nervous though.” At Ingrid’s curious gaze, she decided to go on. “I’m heading to the college in Franklinton and have a few scholarship interviews. I’m having to go on my own because my parents couldn’t get away from work.” Sighing, she took a bite of her sandwich. “Don’t get me wrong, though. My parents are great. I just wish they didn’t have to work all the time, you know?”  

“I understand,” she nodded. “It’s tough now days to have a family. Most families have to have both parents work just to make ends meet..”

“That and they just recently just paid off my last medical bill,” she said, staring down at her hands. “When I was younger, I was in and out of the hospital a lot.”  

“So, you’re ok now?” asked Ingrid. Jody nodded and smiled as she swallowed the bite she had taken.  

“I am now, yes,” she replied. “That’s why the interviews for the scholarships are so important. I feel like I need to help out paying for it. I’m already planning on looking around campus for work as well when school starts.”

“Once you get there,” Ingrid said, her face changing from smiling to serious, “make sure to experience life. Don’t get so bogged down in school, work, deadlines, etc. so much that you don’t actually live and enjoy life.”

“I’ll do my best if I can get there,” Jody joked. “I want to become a doctor and help kids like I was helped.”  

“That’s admirable,” the older lady said. “We need more young people like you in the world.”  

“I hope the college administration feels the same way.” she said. “Would you like to look at the flyer for it?”

“Of course,” she smiled sweetly.  

Over the rest of the journey, the duo poured over the pamphlet. Ingrid helped her come up with questions for her to ask regarding the college and assisted her in her responses to questions she may be asked during the interview. By the time they reached the stop in Franklinton, Jody felt much more confident and only slightly nervous. Jody couldn’t help but embrace the older woman as they stepped off the train and were about to head off in their own directions.  

“I’ll never forget you,” she told her. “Thanks! Wish me luck.”

“Good luck,” Ingrid called out to her and then smiled as she went out of sight. “I don’t think you’ll need it.”

Jody had been checking the mailbox daily for responses from the college. Today was no different. When she saw the mail carrier pull up, she rushed out the front door of her small home and jumped the few steps down to the sidewalk. She reached the street as the mail truck went on to the next stop. Taking a deep breath, she opened the box and found several envelopes inside. She snatched the whole bundle and went back to the front steps to sift through it all. Her eyes grew large as she noticed an envelope from the college. She hesitated only a moment before ripping it open. She read the whole letter twice to understand it. She’d won several of the scholarships! Her heart pounded and then plummeted. Even though she’d received a sizable amount, it wouldn’t cover the costs fully as she’d hoped. She squared her shoulders and mentally prepared herself for the reality of working the entire time she was in college.  

She turned through the rest of the mail and found another envelope from the college. Fear gripped her as she prayed that this one wasn’t rescinding the scholarship awards that she had already won. When she opened it, she found some forms and paperwork as well as a handwritten letter.  

“Who writes handwritten notes anymore?” she mused to herself as she read:

“Dear Jody, 

I hope this finds you well. I hope you don’t mind my intrusion, but I felt compelled to do so. You see, when we met on that train, I was heading to a funeral. You don’t realize how much you helped me. I’ve talked with the administration of the college and have paid the remaining balance of your schooling until you get to medical school. I’d love to hear updates on how you’re doing and just about your life in general so I’ve enclosed my contact information at the bottom. You remind me so much of my granddaughter, Elise. I wish she could’ve grown into the woman you are becoming. Always remember...Carpe diem. Seize the day. Best wishes, Ingrid.”

July 11, 2020 00:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.