The Ring on the Wrong hand

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story where the power goes out on a spaceship or submarine.... view prompt

2 comments

Funny Mystery Drama

“ Wish there were high speed winds, blinding showers, thunder and lightning... yes yes please lord “,prayed little Ganesh. Next day morning he had to appear in the term exam. It was Mathematics paper.Though he loved his teacher Mr.Bisen, he hated the subject. 

It was an usual practice in the little town, a little breeze or light shower was enough for the Raghu, the lineman to disconnect the power from the electric substation. He was so powerful that no one in the town dared to question him. A skinny fellow , barely tall but had the power to make everyone powerless. Every festival he was bribed be it - a house holder , petty shopkeeper , including few rich and famous to supply uninterrupted power . He he in his ‘ Khaki Brown ‘ uniform wielded respect no less than that of a police man. 

Raghu had the skill of a monkey to climb the cemented, nearly fifteen feet high pole with bare hands and legs. He never wore any rubber gloves or shoes. All he carried was a pair of pliers, thin copper wire and a worn out tester to check the flow of electricity. Balancing on his two legs tightly embracing the pole , with half body dangling like torn kite, holding the copper wire between his two dark lips, he would replace the fuse . He appeared more like a trapeze artist in a circus.

 Every person - Big or small, young or old , rich or poor would pay their respect with folded hands or with a classic salute to Raghu. He on his rickety bike would feel he owned the electric substation. The substation had four employees in all. An engineer, two clerks and of course Raghu , the only lineman. In fact he managed the substation single handedly since the other three came from the city and were always in a hurry to leave.

Raghu had studied till middle school. He never understood the lessons most of the time. He was always impatient to go and watch his uncle Shivan climbing the long electric poles and replacing the fuse. He was also awed by the way his uncle was respected in the little town. Raghu spent most of his time with uncle Shivan. He would carry the small wooden tool box. Fetch his lunch from home . At work , he would spread the tools from the box and promptly like surgeon’s assistant in the operation theatre he would supply the tools to his uncle. That is how Raghu learnt the skill of climbing the tall cemented electric poles and love for the job of a lineman.

Just when Shivan retired, he recommended his only nephew, Raghu for the prestigious post of the lineman. From a nineteen year old to thirty years young man was a long journey for Raghu. He learnt all the tricks of the trade. Meanwhile family wanted Raghu to settle down, in other words get married. Raghu was not in slightest excited about marriage. Anything if ever excited him was the tall electric pole, sparks emerging from short circuit electric wires or dangling in the air trying to fix a fuse . He had experienced how uncle Shivan’s wife quarrelled with him which created more tension in the old man than the high tension wires in the substation.

The only person he liked was Ganesh, the boy in his neighbourhood. Ganesh was always curious about Raghu’s work . Raghu always ensured that Mr. Madhva ‘s home was never without power since his friend Ganesh was the ten year old son of Mr.Madhav.

“ The power cut again . How would I finish my office work? I need to submit important papers to my boss”, groaned Mr.Madhav.

“ What could be the reason for the untimely power cu? There is not even a whiff of wind”, murmuring Ganesh’s mother frantically looked for candles.  

“ Ganesh ! Son I know its your exams and you must be worried. Better go to your friend Raghu , the lineman . He might help”,quipped his mother.

“ I can’t afford to waste my time. Moreover you never appreciated me talking to Raghu. And now he’s my friend ! Look at that.! How selfish you are Ma! , dancing his round eyes, Ganesh spit all the past venom and didn’t even budge from his seat.

“Shut up! Ganesh. That’s no way to talk to your Ma. Take this flashlight and go immediately. I have to catch up with my office work. Ma has to make dinner. Once the power resumes, even you can prepare well for your exams”, almost forcefully he put the flashlight in Ganesh’s little hands, and literally shoved Ganesh into the dark street.

“Not fair! These adults exploit we youngsters. No wonder there are laws against child labour. Why this is sheer exploitation and cruelty of sending a little boy in a dark street. I can distinctly hear the dogs barking. How can I save myself if one of them decides to attack me. Oh god! there in the corner, I can see a shadow.  What could it be? A ghost! Or some robber! I am not afraid of a robber. I can hit him with this flashlight. But if it a ghost- what could I do. If this ghost would be of that old man who died last week at ninety and while he was alive, he always smiled and called me and I used to run away from him. I better chant the name of god...krishna , krishna..”

Suddenly there was a howling of a dog. Ganesh was further jittery. He took long strides to reach Raghu’s place.

 What a hard luck! A big lock greeted Ganesh. He decided to go to the substation were usually Raghu spent his time.

With the dogs howling, quite dark street and funny ghost shadows made Ganesh run like a sprinter to the substation.

Half panting, half falling Ganesh shouted “ Raghu are you there? There is a power cut and I have my exams tomorrow. Mother wants you to fix the problem. Even I want to go home.”

Ganesh felt his words echoed back in the dead dark night. There were light in the substation but no trace of Raghu.

Ganesh decided to go back home instead of wandering like the night watchman, whistling loudly as if to alert the thief instead of warning him. 

“ Thank you God for the power cut. If I do badly in my exam, all I have to do is to blame the power cut”, whistling softly as if the initial fear of darkness had gone, Ganesh was now confident like a bat flying in the dark. 

He might have walked a few furlongs, he saw a shadow, taller than the person standing in the dark, slightly resting his back on the electric pole.

“Ohl dear! This’s Raghu” Like a long lost friend , Ganesh hugged him. A smile crossed on Raghu’s face too.

“Why Raghu you can’t set right the power? See the entire town is plunged in darkness “, asked Ganesh anxiously. 

Raghu laughed mirthlessly and questioned Ganesh” Do you really want the power to be resumed?”

Ganesh smiled and moved his lead left to right as if saying “ Not at least today!”

 And both hand in hand walked towards their respective homes.

The next morning there was a big commotion in front of Mr. Madhav’s house. Ganesh half awake , half sleep tried to over hear the words.

“That rascal lineman . What does think of himself. The whole night there was no power. It was my daughter’s engagement. All the relatives were around. In the dim candle light we had to carry on the ceremony . The poor groom instead of putting the ring on my daughter’s finger put it on my wife’s finger and held her hand tight. When my daughter realised the goof, all the guest had a good laugh and my poor daughter felt embarrassed . on the other hand my wife was rejoicing that inspite of she being fat her fingers were still thin.

All this nonsense happened due to the revengeful monkey, Raghu the lineman. What was my fault? All I told him to dine with the servants only after the guests left. Damn his Ego”, almost chocking with anger, Veeru, the goldsmith was spitting all the poison like a wounded cobra.

Inside the house Ganesh adjusted the bedsheet, covering his head, smiling and blessing Raghu for saving him from the terrible exam...!

September 11, 2020 00:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Devinder Kumar
15:38 Sep 24, 2020

Haha. What a lively real life description of the things and characters. "Balancing on his two legs tightly embracing the pole , with half body dangling like torn kite, holding the copper wire between his two dark lips". You need close observation or have to live as one of the characters to be able to write this. Just wondering who had the last laugh. Ganesh or Veeru's wife or Raghu.

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:54 Sep 12, 2020

Hello, I loved the story. You asked me to remind you when I post a new story, so here I am!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.