1 comment

Contemporary Friendship Happy

The light glistened off the blue and purple bowling ball Shelia held in her hand. With a rag in one hand, she rubbed at it until it shined. It was so shinny, you could see your reflection in it if you looked hard enough.

Hannah shook her head and went back to reading the comic section of the Sunday morning paper. She never did understand Shelia’s obsession with bowling. How much fun could throwing a ball down a lane and knocking over some pins be?

“You should come with me this time.” Shelia’s high pitched voice rang out through the quiet room.

“No, bowling’s not really my thing. You have fun though.” All Hannah wanted on a Sunday afternoon was to be left alone. Sunday was the only day out of the week she didn’t work, and she didn’t want to spend in a loud and crowded bowling alley with a bunch of strangers. 

Shelia put her ball back in her bag. “Come on. It’ll be fun.”

Hannah sighed as she folded up the paper and laid it beside her on the coffee table. “Fun for you. Not for me.” If she was lucky, Shelia would drop the conversation like she did most weeks. 

“That’s because you’ve never tried it. I know if you ever did, you would be begging to come with me every week.” She flung the rag she used to wipe the ball into the bag and zipped it up. 

“Well, I guess we’ll never know cause I’m not going.”

“What if I could promise you, you would meet some really cute guys.” Shelia knew Hannah was getting desperate to find her perfect match when it came to men. Her last two boyfriends hadn’t exactly been husband material. They really hadn’t even been boyfriend material. Hannah wasn’t very good at picking out good men it seemed. 

“Why would I care if there are cute guys there?” She leaned back in her chair, trying to act like the comment hadn’t sparked her interest. 

“I don’t know. Just thought I would mention it. Most of the guys are helpful too. They would have no problem showing a newbie how to bowl.” She hefted her bag up on her shoulder. “But if you’re not interested, I guess I’ll go alone like always.” 

Hannah bit her lower lip, and Shelia knew any second she would jump out of her chair and run to get changed for a night out. With slow steps, Shelia headed towards the front door. 

“Wait!” Hannah’s voice reached her ears just as her hand touched the doorknob. She couldn’t stop the smile that spread across her face. 

“Yes?”

“Give me ten minutes to get changed, and I’ll come with and see what this bowling thing is all about.” Hannah rushed down the hall, and seconds later, the bedroom door closed.

Shelia set her bag down and relaxed on the couch as she waited for Hannah, pleased with herself for getting her to finally give in, and give the hobby a try. 

Shelia glanced at her watch for the third time in just as many minutes. How long does it take someone to change? She paced the small living room area, waiting. If she didn’t come out soon, they were going to be late. Hopefully, the rest of the bowling group got there early and grabbed a good lane. 

“Hannah, are you ready yet?” Shelia called down the hall to her best friend.

“Just a minute. I’m brushing my hair now.” Seconds later, Hannah appeared in the hall wearing a pair of jeans and a black tank top with a jean jacket over it. “What do you think?” She spun in a circle showing off her simple attire. 

“You look like someone on their way to go bowling. Now can we go, please?” Shelia picked up her bag and headed to the door.

“I don’t want to look like someone who’s just going bowling. I want to look like a woman who’s ready to snag her a good man and fall madly in love.” She followed Shelia out the door and locked it behind her.

With a slight chuckle, Shelia climbed into the car and started the engine. “If a man truly loves you, it won't matter what you're wearing.” 

Hannah climbed in, crossed her arms over her chest, and pouted. “You were supposed to tell me I looked amazing.”

“You look amazing.” She flashed her a smile hoping to boost her confidence and get her out of the downer mood she had suddenly adopted.

“It’s too late. You already said I look normal.”

Shelia had to work hard to suppress her desire to laugh. She couldn’t tell if Hannah was kidding or being serious. She had managed to keep a straight face through the whole conversation, but that wasn’t saying much. Hannah had a way with words and comedy that allowed her to say things so seriously, and yet it is the funniest thing you ever heard.

“Well, I’m sorry you feel normal.”

They pulled into a parking lot. The neon sign above the door proclaiming the name of the bowling alley in bright colors. Shelia hopped out and grabbed her bag from the back seat. With quick steps, she hurried inside, leaving Hannah behind to dwaddle along. 

It felt so good to slip into her bowling shoes. Shelia wiggled her toes and picked up her ball just as Hannah sat down beside her. 

Moments later, she sent the blue and purple ball down the greasy lane to smash into the ten pins at the other end. It felt good, and Shelia walked away with a smile on her face after knocking down seven pins.

It didn’t take long for the guys to start swarming around Hannah. She soaked up the attention like a sponge, informing one guy in particular that she had no idea what she was doing. He gladly showed her the basics.

Two hours later, both girls walked out of the building towards their car. Shelia was happy she had finally convinced Hannah to go bowling, and Hannah was happy walking out of the building with a phone number. 

Shelia was confident this would not be the last time Hannah went with her.

January 27, 2021 03:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

02:21 Feb 04, 2021

Persuading another to take up a hobby with incentive of getting a boyfriend or husband possibly is all the story. The prompt says that is how the story should START.Not interesting. CRITIQUE CIRCLE

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.