48 comments

Crime Creative Nonfiction

CW: Language, speaking of murder

*Note, the song in this story is indeed mine.

She let out a heavy sigh, taking her backpack off of her shoulders. She looked in front of her, weaving through the crowd with ease. You'd think with such a small town.. The streets wouldn't be so crowded. She bit her lip as someone bumped into her. Fuck you.. She thought giving that person a glare.

She made her way to the library, soon walking inside. "Hello Karson." She greets, respectfully nodding towards the librarian. 

"Lane, welcome." He greets with a smile. "You can go in the history section." 

"Thank you."

She wandered around the old library, holding her backpack in her arms, eyeing the isles that held her interest. She always made complete rounds through the entire building before deciding on which spot she would pick until closing time. However, this time, she wouldn't be reading, she would be creating a video.

An hour of her wandering past, and then soon, she ended up moving over to go to the back of the history section. She sat down, setting her backpack in front of her. She unzipped it, pulling out her notebook. She glances up hearing footsteps near her. There were three teenagers talking in quiet whispers and furrowed brows. The group scattered, all looking at different books. She huffs, returning to her notebook. She opened it, and flipped to a random page. She looks up once more, and decides to move towards the more quiet section of this part of the library. "..the Roses' have been apart of this community for years.." She heard one of the teenagers say, it was the girl, with the bright neon pink hair. 

She looks over at them and froze seeing the only guy staring at her. He narrowed his eyes before slowly turning his attention back to the group, specifically the girl who spoke. She gulped and looked at her notebook. She let out a small sigh, pulling out her tripod and her phone. "I don't understand why we're doing a school project on this…" 

"Karie- you know how long this case has been closed-" One of them said.

"Besides.. We're a small town. We help each other out anyway possible." She cleared her throat before she started recording. 

"This is my song.. Midnight." She took a deep breath, before looking down. She would look up at the camera for a few seconds after every stanza.

"Just sittin' here, all alone

Staring out the window

Waiting for it to come

Ooohh~ it's the midnight cry~

Ooohhh~ it's the midnight cry, yuh

Oohh… It's the midnight cry-" She ignored the brief stares from the teenagers. She felt herself cringe, reading the next stanza. She decided she'd rap this bit.

"Mind is dark

None know the thoughts within

Death plagues me

Yet my words only know life-" She smiled hearing the few excited sounding whispers.

"Blackish, blue sky

Glittering dots in the sky

Moon shining bright

Ooohh~ it's the midnight cry~

Ooohhh~ it's the midnight cry, yuh

Oohh… It's the midnight cry

Evil hides within the dark

Murder rapes and suicides

Evil hides within the dark

Wearing a chaotic grin

Blackish, blue sky

Glittering dots in the sky

Moon shining bright

Good souls in the air

Artists and writers, smiling children

Good souls in the air

Artists and writers, smiling children

Blackish, blue sky

Glittering dots in the sky

Moon shining bright-" She overheard the group of teenagers talking of a murder. Her eyes widen, but yet she continues with her recording.

"Midnight midnight

Red down the drain

Moon shining bright

Ooohh~ it's the midnight cry~

Ooohhh~ it's the midnight cry, yuh

Oohh… It's the midnight cry

Mind is dark

None know the thoughts within

Death plagues me

Yet my words only know life

Evil hides within the dark

Murder rapes and suicides

Evil hides within the dark

Wearing a chaotic grin

So dark, so lonely

So bright, so lovely

So deadly and two faced

Alive, moon and stars-" The teenagers continued their conversation about the murder mystery of the town. The disappearance of Jackson Rose. She gulps.

"Magic

Ooohh~ it's the midnight cry~

Ooohhh~ it's the midnight cry, yuh

Oohh… It's the midnight cry

Ooohh~ it's the midnight cry~

Ooohhh~ it's the midnight cry, yuh

Oohh… It's the midnight cry

Evil hides within the dark

Murder rapes and suicides

Evil hides within the dark

Wearing a chaotic grin

Blackish, blue sky

Glittering dots in the sky

Moon shining bright

Good souls in the air

Artists and writers, smiling children

Good souls in the air

Artists and writers, smiling children

Midnight midnight..

Red down the drain

Moon shining bright

So dark, so lonely

So bright, so lovely

So deadly and two faced-" She covers the camera before ending the video, she'll edit the song into the complete video later. She started packing up her tripod.

"Are you sure Jackson just didn't- off himself?" The other girl asked. She quickly looked up, looking at the ravenette in shock.

"Yes! I'm sure!-" The girl with dyed pink hair was shushed by one of the library workers. The girl muttered a quick "sorry" before continuing to present her evidence to her friend. The ravenette presented hers as well.

"What if it was a cover up? A family member made it look like a murder?" The boy offered, attempting to diffuse the situation. She nervously scratched her arm before walking up to the three teenagers with her bag.

"Uhm.. Jackson was killed.. The killer just made it look like a suicide.." She says quietly. The ravenette gave her a quick glare and the boy rose a brow however didn't look surprised.

"How do you know that?" The two girls asked, one sharper than the other.

"Bec..Because he was my brother.." She answers in her quiet voice. The two girls froze. The ravenette let out a little "oh" and the other two apologized for her loss, and for their friends behavior. "It's okay.. It was a few years ago.." She says. "I can help you-" She offers, looking at the bunches of paper and books the three had already crowded around themselves. She saw the football hoodie of the high school nearby. They must be in Ms. Kasie's class. She thought to herself. "I'm sure your teacher will consider me a valuable source." She says looking up at them.

All of their eyes widen, and immediately they bounce on the opportunity. She nervously smiled. Maybe this'll help throw them off my trail.

April 19, 2022 02:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

48 comments

Aiden Otaktay
13:29 May 05, 2022

"Evil hides within the dark Wearing a chaotic grin So dark, so lonely So bright, so lovely So deadly and two faced" Your song's a m a z i n g. I've never seen a writer add a song in their work, so that's a unique touch to your writing. You should do it more often. And the twist at the end- utotally slayed it!

Reply

Crows_ Garden
14:31 May 05, 2022

: D Thank youu! It makes me happy that you think so. Skye's asked me to feature my songs so like, obviously I had too. It's hard to pick what story gets which song though. I'm glad the twist is a favorite of everyone's : )

Reply

Aiden Otaktay
14:34 May 05, 2022

Ooo then maybe we will get a chance to enjoy more of your songs :eyes: (lol learned something new from u today) Yea, twists- people tend to enjoy them

Reply

Crows_ Garden
14:40 May 05, 2022

Possibly the new contest?:eyes: (oh cool!) That's true

Reply

Aiden Otaktay
14:45 May 05, 2022

:extreme eyes: 😅 (yeah, y'know what they say- learn from the best)

Reply

Crows_ Garden
14:47 May 05, 2022

XD (oop-)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
03:03 Apr 19, 2022

There are many things about this story: 1. The song was really beautiful. I like how you used your own one 2. That plot twist- even though the title gave me an indication of what could happen, the ending was still surprising 3. I love the names of all the characters Great work, love <333

Reply

Crows_ Garden
03:11 Apr 19, 2022

Reply to 1: Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. I was kind of nervous but Skye(little one) wanted me to show off at least one of my songs, so, ya know. Reply to 2: I love plot twists! I'm glad that even with the title it was a bit of a shock. I had to add a bit in the beginning and reword some things to have the ending stay that way. Reply to 3: I found the names alright- I'd say the casual "Lane" was cool. A weird unique name just casually thrown in. Thank you so much, Jasey Bear <3 <3 <3

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
03:12 Apr 19, 2022

Of course, it was amazing <333

Reply

Crows_ Garden
03:13 Apr 19, 2022

<3 <3 <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:50 Apr 29, 2022

This story was so great! I love plot twists, and your story had a great one. I really enjoy you song! As a songwriter, I really like seeing them worked into short fiction. Great story overall!

Reply

Crows_ Garden
00:53 Apr 29, 2022

Thank you for reading and commenting! A friend of mine wanted me to start showing off my songs so I've been considering them quite often for my stories. Thank you once more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Riel Rosehill
13:26 Apr 22, 2022

Ohh that last line really made this work! Well done, you. I didn't think that charachter was shady at all before that sentence, I like a good twist at the end. Also, just how confident she is, recording a song in a public library in front of people? Or maybe I only think it sounds like a nightmare because I cannot sing a single note right, but that is just me. I picked the same prompt for this week so it's great to see a wildly different take on it. And, that last sentence was really just so perfect.^^ One little note on the side of const...

Reply

Crows_ Garden
14:34 Apr 22, 2022

I worked so hard to keep it that way- I'm glad it paid off so well! I love a good twist ending, so to have it work, that's nice. I, personally, find that awkward too. I realized though, for the story to work she'd need to do it in a public place. So why not have her be besties with the owner of the library? I'll go check that out! ^^ Thank you for that bit of criticism! The confusing tenses is my natural writing style, however as of late I've been trying to find a balance between showing how much time has past since the thought happened, or ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
05:24 Apr 22, 2022

Hi there, this was amazing!! I was totally floored by this. The song you wrote in this story was fantastic and I love when we, as storytellers, can do that. You did a great job writing the whole thing to be honest, and I loved it!! Can't wait to dig into more of your stories!! :)

Reply

Crows_ Garden
12:43 Apr 22, 2022

Thank you! I'm glad everyone seems to like the song in the story. I'll probably end up puttin' some more in the next ones. I'm glad you enjoyed it so, thank you once more for reading as well for the comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

help this song is??? so good??? take my applause??? teach me how to write please?!?!?!? fr tho, you need to write a novel ahhhhhsaoddhowh or sing one of your songs xD

Reply

Crows_ Garden
17:15 Apr 19, 2022

The songs not that good- Uh- emotions. Use that, try not to edit it to much. Go with the flow. I'm working on one : > Good luck with me singing- too anxious for that

Reply

yes it is grr :o ADVICE FROM THE PRINCE *sprints to write/j* :O slayy SHAHSSAH SAME

Reply

Crows_ Garden
17:21 Apr 19, 2022

No- XD OoOOo?

Reply

Crows_ Garden
18:14 Apr 19, 2022

Nein! XD : D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
04:55 Apr 20, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Crows_ Garden
12:35 Apr 20, 2022

I- okay-

Reply

Unknown User
06:06 Apr 21, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Crows_ Garden
12:33 Apr 21, 2022

<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
16:59 Apr 19, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Crows_ Garden
17:10 Apr 19, 2022

Ack- I can change it if you wish Queen-

Reply

Unknown User
17:11 Apr 19, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Crows_ Garden
17:13 Apr 19, 2022

I will humbly follow you *does the fancy cool bow thing* (They're freaking out- kinda hilarious. Thank you : >)

Reply

Unknown User
17:15 Apr 19, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Crows_ Garden
17:16 Apr 19, 2022

I will *smiles* (Have a wonderful day! <3)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.