The Proposal

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

0 comments

American Contemporary Drama

The Proposal

“Victoria, you didn’t need to make an appointment to be here at 8:00 in the morning. If you wanted to see us, why didn’t you just ask?”

“I’m not here for me. I’m here for you. The partners of Steed Eastman.

“I’ve spent the past week with my accountant and attorney. We are aware that you are one of the many victims of embezzlement by the Jacobson Accounting Firm. As with several other companies, yours was targeted long enough for the insurance to lapsed leaving you with few options. Together we have drafted a proposal, under my penname of V.E. O’Conner, to make a substantial investment in Steed Eastman.”

“What?”

“Before you object, please hear me out. Although you are a privately held company, you maintain several state and federal licenses which require your yearly earnings. Based on those figures we were able to draft a generous proposal for a 25% equity partnership in your business.”

“No.”

“Wait, Andy, why would you do this, Vic? And why would we sell you a partnership?”

“I believe it is a sound investment and my attorney and accountant agree. Your current financial situation isn’t due to mismanagement or poor business dealings, but rather a concentrated attack by skilled criminals. It stands to reason that given the opportunity the company can be made viable again. My proposal can provide that opportunity.

“Make no mistake. This is not a gift, not charity or even a loan. It’s a business option that I hope you will seriously consider.”

“We will need to discuss this. Analyze your proposal and consult with our attorney.”

“There’s nothing . . .”

“There is a large down payment available upon signing. There is also an extensive buyout clause that will give me a handsome return on my investment and you the opportunity to retake your company at any time. I encourage you to consult with all of your people and discuss it at length. I will accept no red line changes or counter proposals. This offer is take it or leave it. You have seven days.”

“Ms. O’Conner, I’d like a word with my wife.”

**********

“You might have mentioned this to me, your husband, before walking in here, trying to buy a quarter of my company?”

“I already knew what my husband’s answer would be. But you have a partner that . . .”

“So, you just couldn’t resist the opportunity to put on your business suit, waltz in here and save my ass.”

“I put on my business suit and found a solution that wouldn’t offend your damn pride.”

“There’s precious little of that in the shadow V.E. O’Conner, award winning author.”

“You can accept my offer, or you can . . . leave it. But I’ve earned some respect, even from an ungrateful jerk.”

“Victoria!”

“Raise your voice to me again. Because that’s going to make it all better.”

********

“Have you spoken to Vic?

“No.”

“How many women do you know that would do this? Or men for that matter? Who do you know that would put everything on the line for you, for us? I’m your business partner Andy, but I’m also your friend. I’ve never met anyone like her, and she’s the best thing that ever happened to you. If you can’t see that you don’t deserve her.”

“I don’t need you telling me . . . I don’t know where she is. She won’t answer.”

“Any idea where she’d go?”

“This side of Coronado Island…no.”

“I’m going home, why don’t you do the same. She might be there.”

“Might as well, I’m not getting anything done here.”

“Isn’t that Vic’s car next to your truck?”

“I’ll see you tomorrow Paul.”

**********

“Is this seat taken?”

“Yes.”

“Well, he’ll have to sit with someone else’s wife. Have you had dinner?”

“I had a brother-in-law who used to say it only takes a .99 cent hamburger can screw up a $50 drunk.

“Tequila’s hard on the stomach.”

“Everything has a price. I have to go to the bathroom.”

“What can I get for you sir?”

“Gin and tonic. And how many of those tequila shooters has she had?”

“She ordered them when she first arrived. Hasn’t touched them.”

“May I have this dance?”

“Yes.”

“I owe you so many apologies . . .”

“Oh, no. You don’t get to use lines from my book. You had plenty of your own words this morning. Most of them loud.”

“Yes, and look where that got me. Searching all day for my wife. Hoping she’d let me apologize to her. . . I love you, so much.”

“I love you, too. But that’s not what this is about.”

“I know. Will you take a walk with me?”

“We’re going for a walk. Can I leave my bag behind the bar?”

“Sure, what about the shots?”

“I’d say you can have them, but I’m pretty sure you’re not old enough to drink.”

“I’m old enough, in some countries.”

***********

“I have nothing but respect for you, Victoria. It’s myself I have none for. I sat there and did nothing while a lifetime of work was being destroyed. Now my best friend is losing everything, I can’t take care of the people who have been loyal to me for years, and I’ve hurt the woman I love.”

“How can I make you understand? You don’t have to do this alone, Andy. You have people who would walk through fire for you, and I’d be leading them.

“If you were looking for a helpless wallflower of a wife, one to stay at home and bake cookies all day, you missed the mark when you married me. Husbands and wives should be partners. As my husband, I expect you to hold up your end and as your wife, you should expect the same from me. Because I’m damn sure going to hold up my end.”

“But I’m not. I’m not holding up my end.”

“You’re the victim here. It’s not like you went out and gambled it away. It could have just as easily been me. What if the roles were reversed? If I owned a company that was targeted? What would you be doing, right now?”

“Putting all my money into your bank account.”

“Well, how about that. It’s not your money or my money. I’m not trying to buy 25% of your company, Andy. It’s already my company. I’m Victoria O’Conner Eastman. My name is on the door!

“They can lob grenades at us all day, Darling, but as long as we’re together, no one can take us down.”

“I don’t know what I did to deserve you, but I’m not ungrateful. I’m angry and frustrated and I took that out on you, loudly. I’m sorry. I think you got more than you bargained for when you chose me for a husband.”

“Yes, being your wife is a challenge. To be fair, being my husband is a challenge, too. But I think we’re worth it. And on the wife scale there are huge areas where I’m sorely lacking. I couldn’t bake a cookie if my life depended on it.”

January 09, 2021 13:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.