The Pirates!

Submitted into Contest #8 in response to: Write a story about an adventure in a small town.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure

There were once two pirates, the first pirate was named William. William and his crew were not traditional pirates, they always tried to do what is right, thus earning the name “Williams Willful” across the side of their ship. Penelope was the second pirate, everyone on her ship “Penelope’s Prestige” were the meanest and most dishonest bunch of sea rats the world had ever seen. One of the good things about Penelope’s crew, however, was that they were extremely loyal to her. Being that William was a good man, most people would wonder as to why he became a pirate in the first place?

Well, it all started five years ago, when the ship, Queens Cordova, ran aground. William, out of the three hundred souls on board, was the only survivor in this tragic accident. A little while later William was picked up by a ship, The Sea Serpent, when he recovered he had awoken to a woman sitting beside him, it was Penelope. Penelope was the one who fished him out of the water and nursed him back to health, it seemed only fitting she be there when he awoke. As the fog of grogginess escaped, he gasped in awe at how stunning his care taker was. William immediately tried to get up to thank her, but she pushed him down and told him to rest.

As he drifted off to sleep he heard the relaxing sounds of the waves crashing on the side of the ship, the gentle coe of birds, and the creek of the wood as the ship was pushed by the ocean breeze. When William had finally recovered, he woke up to find food and water by his bed, he grabbed the food and just as quick as he noticed it the food was gone. Penelope opened the hatch just as William finished his water, before William could even get a word out she interrupted.

“Follow me” she said.

    In an instant William had got up and was right by her side.

“Where are we going.” said William.

“You are coming with us on a mission.” said Penelope.

As they had passed through the bowels of the ship William tried making more conversation however all his attempts failed. William had no idea what this mission detailed, all he knew was he owed his life to this woman and would do anything for her. The next three hours proved that, he had aided in the robbery of over fourteen stores! Of course William had no idea his actions were illegal, his job was to transport the bags back to the ship. Once everyone was aboard the ship he was pulled in to the captains quarters.

“How would you like to join our ranks? You will get to experience real freedom and take whatever you want.” Said the Captain.

“That sounds an awful lot like a pirate sir?” said William.

As William looked around the room it finally hit him that he was on a pirate ship and that he was also tricked in to acting as one of them. In an instant William filled with rage, he had sworn to the pirate that he would never join and right as William was about to jump out into the ocean he had also promised to fight against the pirates.

    Now, in present day William had found a crew, a ship, and was sailing the ocean stopping any pirate they could find, until one day he came across Penelopes Prestige. As both ships approached one another the two crews got ready for a fight. William had seen that Penelope was on board and told his crew not to use cannons, only to board and take over the ship. The Willful crew knew there was something that the Captain was not telling them. If it were any other Pirate ship William would have ordered them to sink it. As the Prestige and Willful circled each other preparing for combat William and Penelope were in each of their chambers thinking. William was thinking about how he would confront Penelope, after all, he was in love with her from the moment he met her. Penelope could only think about how William left her all those years ago, how she hated him and wanted to destroy him for it.

    A silence sweeps over the air and the ocean breeze is all they feel as the crews await their orders, as the captains barge out of each of their chambers thunder from a distant storm crackles through the evening sky.

“Attack!” shout the Captains.

Cannons from the Prestige fly through the air as William and his crew swing through the air on to Penelopes ship. The gentle breeze can no longer be felt, the roar of the ocean can no longer be heard, only the sound of the cannons and the clanging of swords fill the air. As both crews attack and push each other all about the ship William makes his way across the deck of the Prestige. Penelope sees William battling his way to her, watching him cut down everyone that tried stopping him sent a small chill down her spine.

Finally William makes it to Penelope, as they circle each other ready to attack any second the silence of fate creeps over again.

“I dont want to hurt you!” cries William.

Penelope scoffs, “You won't get the chance.”

Just then she lunges at William swinging her sword with such ferocity every time William blocked both of their swords would chip.

Filling up with rage Penelope screams “Ill kill you for what you have done!”

“What I have done?” William said “It was you that lied to me and made me a pirate!”

As Penelopes rage was building and distracting her William used it to his advantage and disarmed her. Penelope fell to the floor, she knew at any minute he could finish her off. 

“Do it, kill me, send me down to the locker.” Penelope cried

“You deserve it after what you did to me!” screamed William “You even tried turning me into a pirate, but I cant.”

“Only so you would stay on the ship with me. It is because of you I am dishonest and cruel!” cried Penelope. “The one good thing I had walked out on me!”

Just then everything became clear to William, Penelope was not upset that he did not want to be a pirate, Penelope was upset that he did not want to stay with her if thats what it meant.

“Penelope, you are the reason I have been searching for pirates this whole time, I wanted to take you away from all of this.” said William “I have loved you from the moment I met you!”

Penelope was stunned, “ I lo…” 

Penelope was interrupted by the sound of a single cannon shot.

“What was that, my cannons stopped firing when you boarded us!” said Penelope.

As William helps Penelope to her feet they both try to find where the cannon came from, just then they see another ship coming out of the distant fog. 

William yells “Everybody stop, the Last Song is on our tail!”

The Last Song was said to be undefeatable in battle, It was nicknamed the Ship of Souls because it had sent over seven hundred other ships to Davey Jones Locker. Black Boot, the Captain of the Last Song, had one goal, to destroy everything he came across. 

In an instant William and his crew swung back over to the Willful readying it for battle.

After all that had happened William would not leave Penelope behind. This time they fight, to live or to die, by each others side.

As the Last Song gets closer the Prestige steers to the port side of the ship. William seeing this decides to steer to the starboard side of the ship. Black Boot notices the two working together and realises that sinking their ships won't be as easy as he originally thought. As cannons blaze through the sky cracking the masts and splintering the wood of each ship it is clear to everyone that this is going to be a messy fight. Black Boot fires everything he has at the Prestige, piercing massive holes along the side of the ship.

William gives her the signal to bored Black Boots ship, something that has never been done before, so she does. Just as the Prestige sinks Penelope and her crew jump on to the Last Song and move the fight to Black Boots doorstep. The Willful stopped firing, William did not want to accidently hit Penelope or her crew. As swords clash all around, Black Boot and Penelope find their way to each other. As they circle one another preparing to strike William and his crew board the Last Song as well. After cutting down as of the enemy as he could William sees Penelope getting tossed around by Black Boot. Instantly, William rushes over to her and stops Black Boots blade from stabbing Penelope just in time.

“You Fool” Black Boot said in a sinister voice. “Now you will die too.”

“Not today Black Boot” said William “Today, your story ends!”

Penelope gets up and shrugs off the beating she just took. Together William and Penelope attack Black Boot. Finally as the unstoppable team of Penelope and William corner the evil Captain, Black Boot realises he is doomed. Black Boot tries to roll out of the way but is stopped by the edge of Williams blade, almost in perfect unison William and Penelope pearce their blades into Black Boot one through his chest, another through his back, just as this happened all the crew stopped fighting and an eerie silence arose as Black Boots body hit the floor.

“The battle is over!” screamed William

“Black Boot is dead!” Penelope shouted joyously.

As the crews were celebrating Penelope and William were deciding on the how to repair and get to land safely. After deciding which action was best to take the crew started repairs for the long sail home.

“Im glad I finally found you.” said William to Penelope.

“And to think I spent all these years wanting to kill you.” Penelope laughed.

As the the Last Song sinks, the Willful sails off into the night sky with victorious sounds of cheering and laughter.

“What were you going to say before Black Boot came Penelope?” asked William

“I love you,” whispered Penelope. “I love you."

The End

September 20, 2019 15:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.