A letter from Ansley

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who always comes to the aid of others.... view prompt

1 comment

General

Ansley stared out the window in awe of the others. It was a chilly night, perfect to catch fireflies in a Mason Jar, but unlike the others she couldn't go outside, at least that's what her letter said. Every year on her birthday she got a letter from her future self, a week after her birthday. The past letters have been normal, dont wear nail polish, it doesn't look good on you or even dont become friends with a girl named Ashley, in which she obeyed every year. This year however was different, the letter spoke "Dont go out side tonight, it's not worth it." Ansley had no clue what the letter meant. She sat down at the kitchen table with a dim light making the room tint yellow and sighed. She got up to make iced tea for her mother who happened to be working late tonight as a knock from the door startled her. The letter said not to go outside, it said nothing about answering the door. Ansley scattered to get change from the jar under the stairs expecting to see girl scouts at the door so she can buy cookies from the little girls. She opens the door to find her neighbor with a smiling face.

"Hey Ansley! I found your dog in my yard! He was trying to eat my garden I just planted." Ansley instantly flushed with embarrassment.

"Thanks." She murmured stuffing the change into her back pocket, somewhat dismayed there was no cookies for sale.

"Sorry he tried to eat your garden, he's a rascal." Ansley laughed, uncomfortable with the situation. Still tired from school she looks over at her neighbor. He had dark brown hair and light freckles scattering his body with gardening clothes on and a t shirt with a venus fly trap on it.

"Well I was about to go to the community center and plant a few trees before it becomes dark if you want to come with." She thought about this, what was the worst that could happen? Her neighbor was a year older than her and graduated with honors but was too nice for his own good. She pursed her lips, it was a Friday night, but she had nothing better to do but complain about the lack of girl scout cookies in there pantry.

"Sure! Why not."

He smiled, happy to have some company and his lonely glance seemed to fade away.

"You know you can stop being so nice for awile."

He stared at her, very confused.

"What do you mean? Being nice is good." Ansley shook her head.

"You always help people out, weither its convenient for you or not."

She searches her head to try and remember his name. Why do I feel so dumb, she thinks! We played when we were little almost everyday and he's the cutest guy on the block. He must see her frustration because he interrupts her thoughts.

"Brandon. But you can call me night and shining armor, because we all know your a mess and I will end up saving your butt."

She laughs at this. While this is true, Ansley can tell he is trying to flirt with her so she ignores him.


They finish planting trees just as the sky turns gray and it starts to rain. She sighs, not wanting this moment to end.

"Well, we probably head back before it starts to pour."

She frowns, but immediately covers it up. He turns around and looks into her eyes just as she is about to head into her house.

"This may sound crazy, but I really like you and I want to go on a date with you." This seems crazy at first until she realizes she has felt the same way for years.

"I feel the same way. All I ask is that you stop being so nice."

He laughs.

"Nice try but it's never going to happen sweet heart."

Ansley stumbles into her house but is suddenly is confused. Why would my future self write that? She thinks. I just had the best night of my life. She shakes away the thought and gets into her bed to end this wonderful night.


The next day she smells smoke from her window. Confused, she pops her head out the window only to see cop cars and ambulances. She stumbles down the stairs on the verge of tears. What could of happened to Brandon? Is this what she was warned herself about.

"Sir! What's going on over here!" The police officer frowns seeming upset.

"Ma'am, your neighbor passed away this morning from a house fire." Ansley couldn't move.

"He couldn't get out of the house in time?" She trembles. The officer looked at the floor.

"He made it out in time, but he went back in to save your dog, who found his way back into his house." Ansley sobbed and found her self weeping on the cement sidewalk. "He died a hero ma'am, he was more of a hero then any superhero." Ansley stopped crying and and sat there for a moment. Brandon was a hero, she thought. Big or small he was still a hero and we need more people like that.


10 YEARS LATER

Ansley stares out the window of the hospital smiling. She has done so much in her life, she helped little girls and boys fight cancer and raised her own family. It was Halloween and she was prepared to give out candy to the kids in the hospital. Ansley grabs the candy bowl and turns around to see a little girl at the door of her office.

"Hello ma'am! I'm a superhero." Ansley is taken back, not expecting the little girl.

"Why hello. What superhero are you?" She asks smiling at the little girl."

The little girl looks up proudly at Ansley.

"I'm a doctor." She responds like it was the most normal thing in the world.



Please, if you know someone who is a hero, big or small please cherish them because life is short and you will lose them.


July 03, 2020 02:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

A S
02:26 Jul 03, 2020

Sorry there are a few typos. I get too excited when I write. Please ignore them. Also it's a little cheesy but it's mostly just for practice. Feel free to tell me what you think. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.