The Death Certificate

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

2 comments

Contemporary Suspense Drama

“Hello, doctor…”

“Hello.”

“Hope I’m not disturbing you, sir.”

“Of course you’re disturbing me, madam. Don’t you realize it’s twelve at night!”

“Sorry for the inconvenience, doctor. But I’ve something important to inform you.”

“And who are you, by the way?”

“Strange you failed to recognize my voice, sir. I’ve visited your clinic many a time!”

“Sorry, madam. But still I fail to place you.”

“Pity you forgot Alicia- Alicia Lopez!”

“Okay, now I remember. In fact, I should’ve have understood. You are one of the strangest cases I’ve ever seen. Your periodic spells of breathlessness have puzzled me. Your heart and lungs are fine. I diagnosed your case looked to be of psychological in origin. Though such cases are common in teen aged girls, it’s rare to see in mid thirties like you.

“However, is there something similar now? In such cases I’ve prescribed you a…”

“Nah, doc, nothing like it. I’m in perfect shape of body and mind.”

“Your calm voice is evidence enough. What’s the matter then? Mind it, it has to be sufficient enough to wake me up at this hour.”

“Alright. Tomorrow you’ll be called to see a dead man. I appeal to you, please give a death certificate without sending him for post mortem.”

“What! Is it some kind of joke going on?”

“No joke, doctor. The man is lying dead beside me. It’s my husband. I mixed an overdose of sleeping pills in his drink, and gagged him to death with a pillow just a while black.”

“Don’t you realize, Alicia madam, it’s a crime? And you are confessing it! I can report to the police.”

“Of course you can, sir. But I’m sure you won’t.”

“The reason being?”

“The story behind it.”

“Alright, carry ahead, since I’m wide awake by now. But remember, believing or not is up to me.”

“Thanks, sir. The man is vile to the core.”

“Will you elaborate please?”

“It’s a long story…..”

“Hey! Wait a second. I’ve seen your husband accompanying you at times. I remember him to be a decent man. Then, he had come to me for treatment as well. Petrus Lopez, isn’t it?”

“That’s right. But….”

“Don’t try to befool me, madam. Although he has got a liver problem, possibly due to his alcohol indulgence, but I’ve seen him taking utmost care of you.”

“Utmost care! Chht. This is the biggest joke I’ve come across. Few looks at him, and you form an opinion! I thought doctors are judicious. If you don’t want to listen to my woes go and report to police.”

“You seem to be cross, madam. It was just my opinion. Please continue. Let me see if there is a substance in it.”

“That’s better. Now listen. I was forced to marry this husband of mine twenty years back when I was only fifteen. This in itself was a crime. But my uncle literally sold me to this man of twenty-five then.”

“That’s sad. What of your parents?”

“Had they been alive would they ever allow a teen ager to stop her studies and get her married? Sob…..sob…”

“Please stop crying. I understand. What happened then?”

“Soon I realized I was married for name’s sake. He was a playboy and had sexual relation with many females. I was a showpiece to be presented in public, and to protect his job.”

“What did he do for a living?”

“He used to work as a photographer in a modeling studio that time. Later on he started his own agency.”

“Then?”

“I was too young and too scared to protest in the beginning. Later on I mustered enough courage to protest his acts when he started bringing his females to our house.

“He bashed me, abused me, and even raped me as a punishment. He threatened to murder me if I told anyone, leave aside police.”

“Did only two of you live there?”

“No, his parents were there. They still live with us.”

“Didn’t they object?”

“No, the poor fellows are also scared of their scoundrel son. If he drives them out they’ve no place to go. But the house was built by the old man.

“I have their full support and sympathy in any case. They treat me like their own daughter. That’s the only reason I am surviving still. Or else I would’ve killed myself or would’ve ran away.”

“What, finally, made you bold enough to take such an extreme step?”

“It was to come some day. It could have been the day he got my child aborted by kicking my womb, or the day he slapped my father in law for asking his specs to be mended.

“But last night he crossed all the limits. Petrus brought a new girlfriend to my room, and ordered her to undress in my front. The girl, a young one, refused. In a bout of rage Petrus tied the girl’s hand to her back, and singed her entire face with a lighted cigarette.

“You should’ve seen his face then. It resembled that of a devil while performing this macabre act! That’s the time I made up my mind.”

“Madam Alicia, I agree that you have a point. Anyone can kill under such circumstances. But I’m a doctor. I can’t give a death certificate.”

“I urge you, sir. Please.”

“Why don’t you understand, madam? It’s a legal matter. I can lose my medical license. Moreover, if your in-laws suspect a foul play?”

“I assure you no such thing will happen. My in-laws will be more than happy to get rid of their son. You’ve even treated my husband in past. Based on that you can certify the death.”

“I have every sympathy with you. But still I cannot. I even don’t know you enough to trust your words. Please excuse me. Now it’s late enough. Let me have some sleep.”

“Please don’t hang up, doctor, for god’s sake. Listen to this one, then you may disconnect the phone if you still intend to.”

“What again?”

“You said you don’t know me enough. But it’s not so.”

“How come?”

“Have you forgotten Mili Ray?”

“Mili Ray! Which Mili Ray?”

“The one for whom you’ve remained bachelor till this day, at thirty five, if I’m not wrong.”

“How do you know it? Is Mili known to you?”

“Very much. I am Mili.”

‘Mili! But you’re Alicia.”

“I’m both. I’m married in a Christian family. My mother in law changed my name after marriage.”

“Strange. But I could never recognize you in spite of seeing you so many times!”

“Because girls change fast, Bubblegum.”

“After so long I’m hearing this name, Mili….sigh. You’re the only one who called me by this name.”

He—he, because you used to stick to me like a bubblegum in Madhubani High School.”

“You still remember Madhubani High School?”

“Every bit of it, Bubblegum. Especially you. I wanted to be a doctor like you, but alas!”

“Yes it’s a pity. You were a brilliant student. Your uncle and aunt should’ve been more considerate.”

“My aunt was good. It was for her I could complete my school. But you know my uncle. He could do anything to buy his liquor. He sold me to Petrus for a heavy sum.”

“Now I’m ready to make the death certificate. I trust you more than myself.

“But I’ve got a condition.”

“What’s it?

“My fees will be higher than usual……ha….ha...

“Looks mysterious…..hmm. How much?”

“Too much, but you can pay it.”

“It’s getting more enigmatic. Say it.”

“Will you marry me, Mili? Please be my wife.”

“Oh, Sudhir! Nothing is more welcome. I’ve loved you all along. For your information, Mr. Bubblegum, I feigned my illness when I came to know you are our family physician. It was just an excuse to have a look at you.”

“And I never could spot you!”

“Because you are a fool…he..he. But I would love to marry this fool.”

“I love you, Mili.”

“I love you too, Bubblegum.”

“Will your in-laws agree?”

“They will love to see their daughter in right hand.”

January 13, 2021 13:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Michael Boquet
21:31 Jan 20, 2021

Very interesting story. I found your narrative very compelling and I did not expect the happy ending. One critique, there were times when you had the same character speak twice in a row (instead of back and forth between the two). The couple of times this happened, it made it hard to tell who was speaking and interrupted the flow of the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aparesh Sarkar
08:30 Jan 19, 2021

Simply beautiful.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.