0 comments

General

Mindy-Sue, Lennon, myself and Greg had been friends since high school. Known as "The nerdy bunch" because we all wore thick-rimmed glasses and always had our noses in a book. We really didn't care what people thought. We just knew that there was a certain chemistry between us that worked.

It was inevitable that years later we would all end up in similar jobs as we took all of the same classes at high school and in College. What we didn't expect was us coming together as couples. Mindy-Sue paired up with Greg and myself with Lennon. It kind of just happened.

We didn't go as far as living together as a group. I mean come on! We had to draw the line somewhere. But we did live in the same apartment complex. Which worked out great for carpooling to work and back. And sometimes we would invite each other over for dinner and drinks, lasting well into the wee hours because we didn't have far to stagger home.

My relationship with Lennon had started to get more serious with the possibility of us moving in together. Mindy-Sue and Greg were not too far behind in their own relationship status. We were all mildly concerned that it could either be really good for us as a group and as couples, or not so good.

Mindy-Sue came up with the bright idea of us all going away for a mini vacation to her parent’s holiday house set in amidst a tropical rainforest, secluded yet not too isolated. We all voted on it and agreed it would be like a "practice run" for us all.

I could hardly contain my excitement at the prospect of staying in such a lush and luxurious setting for four days. "Paradise, here we come"!

Greg's minivan was ideal for what we had planned. We could fit all of our luggage, tech gadgets, snack foods and beverages in without sacrificing our own comfort. It was also cheap to run being a hybrid and very reliable as it was almost brand new.

Not having anyone but ourselves to be responsible for (no pets or kids as yet!), it already felt as though our trip was off to a good start. We knew our apartments were in good hands. My youngest sister Kasey and two of her bff's had volunteered to house sit. Taking turns at each apartment for the four nights we were away. I knew they were all very trustworthy so we didn't even bat an eyelid at the prospect of handing over our apartment keys.

Mindy-Sue offered to drive for the first leg of our journey. Thankfully it was only going to be a five and a half hour trip, give or take. Factoring in our pit stops along the way. Greg, the genius that he is, invented a battery pack that he could use to charge his car if needed, and always carried extra fuel in case of emergencies. We were definitely all set!

I was in charge of passing out water and snacks. We had all decided earlier on that we wouldn't partake in alcohol or carbonated drinks until we arrived at our destination. We didn't want anyone feeling ill because they had overloaded on sugary food and drinks.

Lennon provided the entertainment. He had carefully compiled a cassette tape (yes we were old school), of all of our favourite songs so that we would all sing along and feel included.

Greg would sit in the front with Mindy-sue with the all-important task of map-reading. He insisted that we do it the old-fashioned way, reserving our phones for emergency use only. For the most part, Mindy-Sue knew where to go. But as we had a few places of interest to visit that were off the beaten path, there was the risk of getting lost. Greg was indeed a very handy person to have around.

We were making good ground, the music was excellent (Thanks Lennon!), the van ran like a dream and everything was going according to our planning (okay, Greg's meticulous organisation skills deserve recognition too). It really felt great to have the windows wound right down, stretching my arms out to catch the wind. Life as good. It was excellent in fact!

Arriving at the holiday home, we were greeted by the stunning image of the sun in all its glory, seemingly perched upon the roof of the house. The sound of tropical birds filled our eardrums with their glorious, musical tones. The air had become balmy yet a slight breeze danced playfully through the palm trees that stood either side of the entranceway.

Mindy-Sue had often spoken about this magical place. Even the photographs she had accumulated over time, couldn't do this splendid rainforest retreat any justice. Four days suddenly didn't seem long enough.

Inside the holiday haven, we were greeted by a very modern and open-planned arrangement. It was absolutely gorgeous! The type of home I had always dreamed of. I recognized some of Mindy-Sue's Oldest sibling, Maeve's artwork on display carefully hung in such a way that it seemed to merge with its surroundings. It was quite trippy and marvellous all in one!

Lennon let out an almighty squeal as he discovered the swimming pool/ entertainment area almost hidden from view out back. It was pure heaven for all of us! Mindy-Sue smiled like a Cheshire cat with the knowledge that she had managed to keep this part of the property secret from us. Knowing full well that we would react in the way we did. "What can I say guys, I saved the best till last".

It really felt like we were in heaven.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT BULLETIN…

All holiday-makers are asked to baton down the hatches, ensuring all windows and doors are shut securely. Remove any loose outdoor equipment or loose objects that could cause damage once the expected storm hits. Thank you all for your cooperation.

C.W.Cooper (your safety advisor)

Mindy-Sue read the news out loud to her significant other and friends. They were all still waking up from a night of good food, wine and dancing the night away. The last storm to hit the region had been just over 7 years ago. Mindy-Sue had been all of fourteen at the time. From what she could remember, it was a very scary time for everyone on holiday at the time, herself and her family included!

I put on a pot of the strongest brew of coffee I could find. We needed to have our wits about us and a good coffee would certainly help with that!

The boys got stuck into securing any loose furniture etc. Whilst us girls went from room to room closing and locking windows and doors. Mindy-Sue had already pulled out the emergency storm kit filled with flashlights, batteries, candles, tinned, walkie talkies and stacks of tinned and packaged food. Greg couldn’t be more proud of how his girl how taken charge.

Lennon drew closer to me, sensing I was starting to panic. He knew how much I hated storms! And just as he wrapped his arms around me, everything went black.

The storm had come in hard and fast, blocking out the sun with such fierceness that it almost looked like night fall once more. Of course as predicted, the electricity died almost from the moment the violent storm struck.

Greg found the camping stove that Mindy –Sue had packed last minute. He couldn’t contain his smile at how proud he was of her brilliant idea. Even though there had been no mention of a storm when they looked into the seven day forecast ahead of time.

As the  storm was becoming more intense with the sound of thunder and lightning crashing all around, I had never felt safer then I did now. With my friends and my partner close by, I knew that I could get through anything.

It was a long and wild night, and not like the night before. The storm seemed to last for eternity as it crashed violently through the trees all around us. At one point one of the palms had come toppling down, missing the front door by a few inches!

By morning we were all exhausted but thankful to be alive and unharmed. The damage outside was vast but gratitude was felt by us all that the house still stood strong and firm. Emergency services had already sprang into action with their clean-up crew.

Lennon surprised us all with a breakfast made for Kings and Queens. Which was well received by this hungry bunch! It was in that moment, as we all sat around the breakfast table happily chatting and tucking into our breakfast bounty that we all knew we were all in this together- For life…

We had come away with the intent of figuring out if we were ready to move in with our other halves. The storm actually helped with our decision. It was decided that we would in fact move in together. The four of us that is. I mean when you find such amazing Souls to share in your life’s journey who support you and help you to feel safe, why not! 

August 06, 2020 02:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.