2 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Suspense

The playground was deserted, a silent witness to the fading day. Curtis and Jane sat on a creaky swing set, their hands intertwined yet their hearts worlds apart. The conversation took an unexpected turn. Both spouses were hovering over the prospect of bringing a new life into a world that seemed to be crumbling. Jane was unable to look Curtis in the eyes; she was hurt and misunderstood.

"I just don't know, Curtis." Jane's voice was low and meek, lost in the evening breeze. "The news, the chaos, so much death... it feels selfish to even consider bringing a baby into all of this right now. I don't see the point."

Curtis's grip tightened, his frustration simmering. "Selfish? Isn't it more selfish to deny us the chance of happiness, of a real family, just because of what's going on out there?"

"Curtis, please!" Shouted Jane. You don't get it. Everything is messed up. The world, our society, and the people. Our finances are our minds. A child will make things worse for us. Do you not understand that?"

"Oh, I understand Jane very clearly. The world isn't our issue; you are. It's truly about you wanting to control everything and have it all your way, but you can't!"

Jane rolls her eyes and gets up from her swing. "This has to be a joke. You want a child, ha! But you won't have to carry it, feed it every hour, and make sure it survives our household, all while having to protect it from all the craziness out there. Just stop Curtis, okay?"

Curtis laughs maniacally as he brushes off Jane's attempt to make him back down. "Look Jane. You said you wanted children two years before we got married... You know what? Nevermind. You're just a freaking liar..."

The words stung. Like a knife to the spine, Jane felt paralyzed, and without another word, she stood up and walked away, her silhouette growing smaller as she approached the slide. The playground's slide, a relic from a cheerier past, now stood as a threshold to the unknown. Jane climbs up the ladder and sits at the entrance of the tunnel slide. Tears flowed down her cheek, burning her skin with salty despair.

As Jane waited at the top of the tunnel slide, the world around her began to chill. "I wish you cared to understand me, Curtis." With a deep breath, she let go, sliding down into the gathering darkness. But as she reached the bottom, the world she knew was gone. She landed in a realm devoid of light, where shadows flickered and eyes glowed from unseen creatures lurking just beyond sight. This new world was identical to her own, but it lacked all that made hers beautiful.

The air was thick, as every breath you took felt like fire in the lungs, and Jane knew she had to leave this place quickly. She thought maybe if she slid down the slide once more, maybe that would work, but she only ended up back in the dark realm. "Maybe if I go up the slide?" Jane thought as she ascended the slide. Unable to grip the tunnel walls, Jane slid down once again, giving up after one try. "What do I do now?" Hopelessness set in, but Jane decided to just keep moving anyway. So she walked forward in a straight line, wondering if that would do any good.

Grrrrrr! A loud growl was heard only meters away from Jane. Her legs began to shake, but she continued to move with slow strides. She thought to herself not to look back, but curiosity never loses. Jane turned around—a shadow loomed behind her, threatening her with its menacing red eyes and sharp yellow teeth. Jane lost her mind at seeing the creature and decided to run at full speed in her current direction. The creature followed behind her, but only ever so close. It seemed like the beast was playing a game with me.

Jane's journey was fraught with many more perils: other twisted beings would reveal themselves and claw at her, eerie voices called her name, and illusions threatened to trap her mind in all-consuming fear. Yet she pushed forward, driven by the desire to see Curtis once more and to see the flawed but familiar world they shared. His existence was giving her enough strength to push on.

After much time had passed, Jane barely had energy left, but she realized she was alone. There were no more creatures around her, but there was something in front of her. In an area full of eerie fog, she glimpsed the sight of a slide. Completely identical to the one she came into the world through. Was this the slide to exit this world, or was it merely a trick? Not trying to think too hard, Jane uses the last of her energy to climb the stairs and enter the slide.

After what felt like an eternity, Jane emerged from the slide, gasping for the air of her own world. The playground was no longer empty; Curtis was there, his eyes wild with panic as he searched for her. Spotting his wife, Curtis ran towards Jane. "Jane!"

"Curtis!" she called out, running into his arms and collapsing into him. His embrace was a harbor in the storm, and in that moment, Jane knew. Despite the darkness that loomed outside, their love was a beacon that could weather any world.

"Curtis, I'm so sorry for being selfish and not trying to see your point of view. We can have our family, whatever you want." She said her decision was firm. "Because even in a world that's falling apart, there's still us. We can do this."

Curtis, rubbing his tired wife's back, begins to kiss her forehead softly. "I apologize for not trying to understand you as well. I wasn't being fair, but it's ok now. We can talk about this when we get home. You're tired and need rest." Jane looks into Curtis's eyes, smiles, and falls back as she passes out from exhaustion. Curtis picks Jane up and carries her home. Keeping in mind that he will be asking about the deep scratch she felt on Jane's back.

And with that, they go home together, leaving the playground and its mysterious slide behind, ready to face whatever the future holds for them.

April 13, 2024 14:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Charli Adams
21:28 Apr 24, 2024

Not bad, but I wish there had been a clear catalyst that caused her to change her mind, it's seemed a little flat in terms of character arc. The back and forth was fluid and realistic, had the feel of real arguments that many people are probably having all over the world. Well done!

Reply

Noted Moments
00:28 May 04, 2024

Thanks Charli, I'll do my best to make sure the stories flow better. Appreciate your feedback

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.