4 comments

General

Skyler is on his break from his shift. There has been a lot on his mind. Work has helped to distract his wandering thoughts. The other times, his mind tended to spiral on its own. He grabbed his sandwich from his locker and headed to the back entrance. None of the smokers were on break so the air was clear and refreshing. He took a deep breath.

He ate his sandwich and thought of ways to keep his mind busy. He planned a nice after work run and an extravagant dinner for himself. They still failed to raise his spirits. He decided to take a peek at his phone. No new messages from Sterling. Just the message about spending a couple more days in his hometown while Silvi returns ahead of him.

Skyler knew Sterling and Silvi since they transferred to the city in high school. They became the best of friends with Silvi getting dibs of being the best. Sterling and Skyler have also been dating each other since then. They had been in a committed relationship for 6 years now. Silvi would call them ‘idiots in love’ most of the time. They would call her the ‘annoying third wheel’ in return.

A week and a half ago they had to return to their hometown for a family emergency. Skyler could have gone along, but he had things to do. He was able to find a bigger and nicer apartment within his budget. He was going to use the opportunity to finally ask Sterling to move in with him. Now that he wasn’t living with his mother anymore, there was nothing stopping him.

Since their trip was sudden, Skyler didn’t have time to bring up the idea to Sterling. In the end he packed some pictures of the apartment with a note proposing their cohabitation. He expected to get a message or something when he found it, but nothing of the sort was shared. He even tried to ask Silvi who would immediately give away his decision. However, Silvi didn’t show any knowledge of such topic. Skyler assumed that Sterling just didn’t tell her, which is a very big thing. Sterling and Silvi told each other everything. Whenever they had a secret between the two of them, Skyler was the one to know. That’s just how their relationship worked.

Without any idea of his reaction to the suggestion, Skyler was filled with nerves. What if Sterling didn’t want to take that step together? What if he reconnected with somebody back home? Maybe he is staying back a few more days to ignore me? Did he get tired of me? Did I work too many hours to make him feel neglected? Random questions suffused in his mind. He knew most of the questions were pointless and plain absurd, but he couldn’t help the insecurities.

After his break, he finished his shift earlier than normal. He was finally given time off from work to move. His mom helped him pack most of his things so he just had a couple boxes left. As he was about to leave work his phone went off. ‘If I Didn’t Have You’ sung by Emily Osment and Mitchell Musso sounded of from his pocket. It was Silvi.

“Hey Vi.” Skyler greeted as he got into his car.

“What you doing?” Silvi asked.

“Getting in my car. Leaving work now.” He reported as he turned his car on.

“Oh, then surprise!” She yelled into call.

Skyler was used to her loud projected voice through phone receivers. Though her statement made him cock a single eyebrow.

“What do you mean?” He questioned.

“I’m at the airport!” She exclaimed into the phone.

“Weren’t you supposed to get back in two days?” He asked her.

“Yeah, but mom told me to come back because somebody opened their big mouth and got my fist to their throat.” She confessed.

Skyler had a feeling that she shrugged her shoulders. She didn’t seem to care much about punching someone in the throat. They probably deserved it. She always saved throat punches for stupid people who fail to comprehend the meaning of ‘shut up.’

“Fine, heading there now. You gotta help me pack though.” He told her.

“Deal! Though can we go to the mall first? I’m hungry and I still need to get you a house warming gift.” She insisted.

“Okay, sounds like a plan. I’ll call you when I am out front.” He said before they exchanged their good byes and ended the call.

Skyler pulled up to the pick up area of the airport. He rang Silvi’s phone to see her coming towards his car. He helped her load her things into the car. They pulled out of the airport and headed for the mall.

“Now tell me about this throat you throttled.” Skyler teased.

“One of my cousins.” She began.

“The one who doesn’t like you, the one who sees Sterling as a rival, the annoying one, or the ignorant bigot?” Skyler rattled off.

“The ignorant bigot.” She answered.

“Are you sure you only punched her in the throat?” Skyler chuckled.

“Sterling tossed me over his shoulder before I could get a second hit in.” She pouted.

“Saving lives, one irritating bimbo at a time.” Skyler joked resulting in a laugh from Silvi.

“She was trying to set Sterling up with one of her snobby friends. Saying that his taste in people was in serious need of assistance. She just kept pushing it on him and bad mouthing you so I punched her in the throat to shut her up.” She explained with a nonchalant shrug.

“You love us.” Skyler cooed.

“You know it! I don’t care if we are blood, nobody bad mouths my favorite people.” She scoffed.

“I love you, you little fire cracker.” Skyler expressed as they pulled into the mall.

They got out of the car and straight to the food court. They filled their table with trays and trays of food. Together they scarfed down food like animals. Manners discarded as they enjoyed the convenient food. Fish, shrimp, chicken, pasta, fried rice, garlic bread, cookies, and ice cream gradually disappeared from their table. Passing the containers back and forth or feeding each other was normal for them. Silvi and Sterling did it since they started eating on their own and they brought Skyler into the mix when they would eat together in high school.

“So nothing else happened?” Skyler asked as Silvi was drinking the remainder of her ice cream.

“What you mean?” She asked.

“Like anything else that happened.” He clarified.

“Nothing else really.” She answered. “Why?” She asked.

“Sterling has been distant again.” He huffed.

“Seriously? Guess I need to snap and shake somebody like a glow stick.” She muttered.

Skyler sighed. It must be something bad for Silvi to genuinely not know.

“Before you trip and fall into Wonderland, I assure you that you are not at fault.” She reassured him.

“How do you know for sure?” He mumbled.

“My brother is one to talk issues out. If he didn’t say anything then there is no issue to discuss. It’s probably about being back there without you.” She offered.

“I hope so.” He sighed.

“You do know my brother is hopelessly in love with you right?” She reminded.

Her statement made his lips twitch into a near smile.

“You gotta have more confidence in yourself. Worrying about him leaving you is futile.” She added.

Skyler took what she said into account. She was right. Sterling loves him and treasures him more than Skyler feels like he deserves. If there was something wrong then Sterling would have said something. If there is a reason behind his behavior then he will share it when he returns.

“So what else do you need for your new place?” Silvi asked as they disposed of their trash together.

“Mom said she’ll help me shop for appliances next week. I’m also just going to take my bed so I think I just need the basics for the bathroom, kitchen, and living area.”

“Sounds good. Hopefully, I’ll find something to buy.” She said as they trekked to their first store.

“When do you ever leave a store without buying anything?” Skyler laughed.

“True, my dear friend.” She said with a smile.

Silvi and Skyler spent the rest of the day at the mall. After buying cleaning products for the kitchen and bathroom and toiletries they spent the rest of the time buying random things. Silvi convinced Skyler to turn the extra room into his fitness space. They were debating about putting a treadmill and weight bench. Skyler tried to push it off for another time, but Silvi was adamant. She didn’t let him leave the store without buying a weight bench and a set of weights. She also bought him new sets of boxing gear for their sparring matches.

When Skyler told her that he preferred to run outside than on a treadmill she took him to get new shoes. Then that turned into new clothes. Then it went to a new back pack. Which eventually led to a hair cut.

By the time they were done the mall was closing. Skyler just glared at his best friend when they settled back into the car. His five seater SUV was full of random impulses. She gave him a bright innocent smile before he shook his head and started the drive to his apartment. He wanted to drop the cleaning supplies and toiletries off to lessen the load to move.

After blasting Pitbull songs throughout the entire ride, they arrive at the apartment complex. It was pitch dark and Skyler felt hunger festering. They grabbed as many bags as they could and ran up to the 2nd floor. Silvi let Skyler unlock the door.

Instead of a pitch black and empty space, Skyler was greeted by a delectable aroma of something chicken based. Light poured out of the open door way and lighting up the outdoor hall. Skyler was stuck in his spot to only get shoved in my Silvi.

“What the?” He managed to get out when he got a better look inside.

The kitchen was stocked with the basic appliances and a big pot of something cooking on the stove. There was a dining table with four chairs. There was a set of couches in the living room with a coffee table and side tables. A big tv was propped on an entertainment unit with his filled bookshelves on both sides. Most of the furniture was new which confused Skyler. He didn’t buy any of this. When he got closer to the tv he noticed his consoles were there too, along with a console he didn’t own, Sterling’s Xbox.

“I hate you both.” Skyler chuckled.

“Aaw, but I love you.” Sterling said behind him with a faked sad tone.

Skyler couldn’t fight the smile forming on his face when he turned to Sterling. He was wringing his fingers and biting his bottom lip. Skyler found it insanely adorable and was extremely tempted to kick Silvi out for the night.

“What’s all this?” Skyler asked.

“My answer to your offer to live together.” Sterling said with a hopeful half smile.

“So you surprised me by moving in?” Skyler asked with a raised eyebrow.

“I told you, you are crazy.” Silvi teased her brother.

“Shut up, you.” Sterling spat before sticking his tongue out.

As Silvi snickered at her brother, Sterling is suddenly embraced in a warm hold. He cuddles into Skyler instinctively and wraps his arms around Skyler’s waist. Skyler cups Sterling’s face in one of his hands and tilts his head back. They gave each other endearing smiles before they shared a sweet and gentle kiss.

“I love you too much.” Skyler said between kisses.

“I love you as much.” Sterling replied between kisses.

July 10, 2020 04:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Alexi Delavigne
23:32 Jul 15, 2020

I loved this story, it was so sweet. I also loved Silvi’s character, you did a great job showing her vibrancy throughout the story. I’ll admit at first it was a little confusing and hard to keep track of what was going on because the character names are all so similar, and I had to go back and reread to figure out who was who. I also didn’t realize Silvi and Sterling were siblings until the end of the story, but other than that I really enjoyed the story, good job!

Reply

Rawn A Lynn
02:21 Jul 16, 2020

Thank you. I understand the confusion, thanks for your honesty. I'll keep your advice in mind, it's much appreciated.

Reply

Alexi Delavigne
02:32 Jul 16, 2020

It was minor confusion, overall it was a great story and fun to read :)

Reply

Rawn A Lynn
04:38 Jul 16, 2020

Thank you again. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.