3 comments

Drama

“Fanny, wake up, its time for your regular aerobics classes followed by Zumba dance classes and not to forget your regular salsa “Mom, I know my routine, please don’t pester me I am tired I need to get some sleep”. With a huff Fanny’s mom Shirley went out of her bedroom. Fanny a 19 year old in her late teens was a great dancer and her moves and turns were a feast to the audience. At a very young age she had mastered the art of dance. A contemporary movement, hip hop style or a robotic perfection, she was the master in all dance forms. Her dance was admired by all and she was a teenage sensation followed by millions of viewers. Shirley was the happiest woman on earth that her daughter was an excellent and versatile dancer. Each and every move would awestruck the audience. Shirley was so proud that she would find every opportunity to bring her daughter on stage and make her dance. She had become a potential manager to her daughter; she used to arrange shows to portray Fanny into limelight.

“Mom, I was a very young kid when you made me dance to your steps. Though I had many other dreams you forced me to dance, as a daughter I have done my duties, being a mother you have failed bitterly”. “Fanny “, yelled Shirley, she was about slap Fanny. Fanny was taken aback, she just stepped behind. “Mom” her voice was trembling.”You want to hit me then go for it” “You didn’t let, me pursue my dream, you forced your dreams on me “Fanny, now don’t start all over again and annoy me with your fanatic desires” “You know very well that the dream you have desired is impossible feat to achieve, I know being a dancer was my dream and I’m proud that you have achieved this by your hard work. I wouldn’t have achieved the same what you have achieved at such a young age. I do appreciate your sincerity, though you were against dancing” “

Fanny was just listening she didn’t speak a word , Shirley continued ,” Look my child , I’m not against your dreams but it’s really a hard nut to crack, where do you get such vague unimaginable ideas, now don’t over think on dreams that cannot be achieved”. Fanny sighed a heavy breath, with tears in her eyes,”Mom, there are certain things which you cannot understand I wish dad was here “. Shirley got really annoyed and threw the cutlery which she was holding, bang the china broke into pieces. “Don’t you dare to even talk about him, loser he doesn’t deserve to be my husband and your father. He didn’t even look back once I am the one who is always with you “.  Fanny didn’t reply back but left the scene

Fanny just left for her dance practice, though that was not her dream to pursue she was doing it by force. Each and every move was a perfect one, it seemed that she was made for dance, but Fanny was not happy about what she was doing. Right from a young age of 3 years she had been dancing but with no heart in it.

After a few days Shirley arranged an exuberant dance performance with a huge audience on a larger platform which suited a star performer. Every minute detail was monitored by Shirley. The preparations were going on in full swing , Shirley was very excited that Fanny would perform in front of huge audience which was a dream come true. But Fanny was reluctant about everything. Shirley as usual forced her to practice harder to make her give the best.

The d day arrived and everything was set as per Shirley’s expectance. The programme was about to begin but there was a shock for her that she had least expected, Fanny was missing; she had eloped from the suffocating atmosphere. Shirley couldn’t believe it she was shattered along with her dreams.

Months passed but there was no sign of Fanny, though Shirley had lodged a complaint at the sheriff she was not yet located. She had just destroyed all modes of contact so that her mother couldn’t find her. Shirley was in a shock and depressed by her daughter’s missing, she felt that her Fanny had deceived her and she was very annoyed about it. She felt restless and to pacify her anger she just switched on the TV to change her mood swings. When she saw her favourite reality show which portrayed a woman’s prowess she was shocked to see Fanny being interviewed by the host. She was introduced as the youngest team member who is selected to for an acrobatic manoeuvre in a fighter jet. The host asked,” Miss Fanny, if I’m not wrong, you are famous for your dance steps then how come did you find fantasy in flying especially the fighter jets. It’s really surprising and shocking too. You eloped from the dance arena which was a grand avenue for your performance. Can you just clarify the doubts of the audience?”

“Yes, I would like to talk about it, if mother is watching this show I would like to clarify myself. I was a dreamer right from my childhood, I used to dream of flying high and touch the sky like my dad who was a pilot in the Air force. But my mother was against his profession which she felt was very risky and added to fear my father lost his legs during a flying session. My mother couldn’t continue her relationship with my father because she felt he was a burden. Though my mother’s attitude was annoying me I was helpless. I had to stay with her so that I could take care of my father who was left alone. The money I earned from my dance I spent on my father who was sick and bed ridden. My mother’s selfish motives killed my father. Fanny started weeping, she couldn’t control herself, and I lost him yesterday. But one thing I have learnt from my dad that come what may, you put your effort in fulfilling your goals.” “My mother had forced her dreams on me, but I made my own mark in fulfilling my dreams, tomorrow is my d day, if you really love me mom please look up you will find me dancing in the sky”

That next day Shirley looked up to see her daughter manoeuvring her fighter jet and dancing to glory.

November 06, 2020 17:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Barbara Burgess
10:55 Nov 12, 2020

What a wonderful story and wonderful ending! Yes, parents can put their own dreams on their children. This story really moved me. Thank you for writing it.

Reply

Arathi Raghuveer
17:47 Nov 13, 2020

Thank you Barbara for your appreciation

Reply

Barbara Burgess
17:52 Nov 13, 2020

you're welcome - well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.