Please Remember

Submitted into Contest #49 in response to: Write a story that takes place in a waiting room.... view prompt

3 comments

General

“My mommy says I should thank you for your service, so I guess, thanks you sir,”. The little boy said to the haggard old man.

”Well thank you sonny!” The old man replied.

”Your mommy is very nice, but sonny let me tell you a story about how you should greet a veteran,” He spoke softly as to not disturb all the other people.

He thought how he should begin. He thought about how hard basic training was for a boy of eighteen. He thought about how excited he was to be part of something bigger. He thought about his pride when he got on the boat for England.

The old man’s mind flashed back to bragging to his friends on the deck of the ship about how many Germans he was going to kill. They stood there together bragging.

Six hours from shore he and his buddies were on the deck of a ship under a gleaming sun sipping beers and smoking non filter cigarettes. It was heaven on Earth. He had never left his small town in Kentucky and here he was getting ready to kill in order to protect the world. He felt larger than life.

He recalled coming off the ship and immediately hopping in a truck that would take them to base. The ride was rough and fortunately it was fairly cool temperatures for June. It took about two hours to arrive at the base which was on the south east shore of the country. He immediately followed the others out the back of the truck. He did not know what was going to happen to him.

He was on base for about four days when they got the call to arms. The boys got dressed and formed ranks to take their smaller craft onto the big Navy ships out in the harbor. He thought to himself he was not ready for another boat ride. He still was not sure what was coming. He had no clue.

on the ship the boys were celebrating and shouting for victory. All of the other boys were so excited and it was contagious and before long he joined in the celebration.

He remembered being so confident that he could face anything. The singing and merriment had his adrenaline flowing strong and he was wound up with emotion. Then he heard a thunderous boom.

He and the boys Were loaded into what they called landing craft. He and the boys had their guns and they were going to France.

He remembered the booms first. It sounded like the thunder during a tornado. He was scared. Then he started hearing the pings. They began tapping the door of the craft. He had no idea what they were until the source would occasionally come in the top and take most of a soldiers head off. He was terrified and like many of the others he wet himself with fear. Some boys did worse in their pants.

He will never forget what his next very quick mental flash was. He knew what he had to do. He gripped his rifle tight and with firm resolve he went to one knee, soaking most of his dry parts in the urine of many men. He swore he would fight and he swore he would survive and he silently recited the national anthem. He survived.

”Sonny don’t thank a veteran for his service,” a tear ran down his cheek. He thought of kneeling again and soaking his knee in the blood of many men. Thanking all that he believed in that he made it. He surveyed the beach and saw the ocean was red. He saw more death and destruction that he wanted to ever see. He was regretting showing up for service but he would honor his countries request and fight hard. He did not know if he had killed a man but he thought he must have. He was glad he did not know. With what had had witnessed he just did not think he was ready for that burden. He did not know what savage fighting was before him. He never imagined how much death he would see let alone cause. He stood by many men who died and killed. He did what seemed impossible only a few months ago and he was never going to be the same.

”Instead say I honor your service,” and ”don’t worry about the story,sonny, I am sure an old man like me would just be boring.” The old man looked over his glasses as he spoke to the little boy. He paused to see how the kid would react.

The little boy was not sure what honor was and thought to himself to ask when his name was called. He jumped up and ran in front of his mommy to carry out his appointment.

During his visit with the doctor the little boy thought about what the old man had told him. He seemed like a nice guy he thought and he thought he had hurt his feelings when he thanked him because he cried. Finally he had thought enough. He asked his mommy what honor meant.

He thought about the explanation his mommy had given him and he started smiling with his idea. If the old man was still there he was going to give him a big surprise.

His Heart swelled with pride but he was a bit nervous as his doctor bid him see you next times and be safes and all. He hoped he saw the old man again.

He went to the waiting room while his mother talked to the lady in the window. He saw the old man still sitting there. He crossed the crowded room to where the old man looked to be asleep. He wished he was awake.

The little boy instead spoke softly with a whisper to the sleeping man.

”To me honor is never forgetting those guys that did things to protect us. You are a veteran which means you are an Army guy. I saw your cap. Sir, I don’t know what kind of things made you sad and I am sorry for making you cry but I will honor your service.“

The little boy stepped back with his feet together and his back straight and gave the sleeping old man a salute. He then spun on one heel like he had seen in the movies and marched to his mommy’s side.

The old man was cheering with his boys again. He wasn’t asleep.

July 03, 2020 22:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Kat Gruszka
00:45 Jul 16, 2020

Cute story! I wish I knew how old the little boy was. In the beginning I would have guessed young (4 or 5), but then his speaking and thinking pattern changed to that of a 10 or 11 year old. That's the best piece of advice I have :) good work!

Reply

Allen Banks
21:46 Jul 16, 2020

I was really not considering his age important, I was after a short amount of growth and wisdom for the kid. I can see how it could be a factor however. Thanks for the comment!!

Reply

Kat Gruszka
00:06 Jul 17, 2020

Thanks for writing your story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.