0 comments

General

Jenna had never been in to sports. However, she felt that pushing a shopping cart down the aisles of Target should be made an extreme sport. She quickly swerved her cart out of the way to avoid wiping out a toddler. The mother gave Jenna a death glare. Jenna didn’t care. All she was focused on was getting all the supplies she could for her daughter’s 13th birthday party. Her gorgeous little Lola was becoming a teenager… and Jenna could definitely tell. Jenna had already planned a party for Lola, only to be told that it wasn’t good enough. Lola had then proceeded to give her mother a long list of things that she wanted for her party, most of which Jenna knew she couldn’t afford. As a single mother, Jen wanted to provide Lola with as much as she could. She knew that she owed Lola for last year as the girl wasn’t able to celebrate her 12th birthday due to her father leaving a week before. So, because of that, Jenna told Lola that she could have a big party with all of her friends and that she could have whatever she wanted… within reason. As Jenna read the words ‘ice sculpture’ on the list, she realised that her daughter had no clue about what was plausible and what was not. Jenna stood in front of the ‘Party Supplies’ aisle and she took a deep breath as she looked at the prices of these supplies. Lola had specified that she wanted as many colours as possible.

Jenna left Target with a hefty $100 worth of party supplies. She loaded them in to the back of her car and breathed a sigh of relief as she pulled out of the car park. Jenna tried to get everything she could but did have to alter certain things. For example, the ice sculpture was now going to be unicorn shaped ice cubes. On the drive home she felt that familiar wave of nausea creep over her as she thought about all the other things she had to buy. She was already struggling to make her pay check last the whole month without all these expenses. Jenna’s phone began vibrating in her bag. She pulled to the side of the road and dug it out of her bag.

“Hi sweetheart” Jenna chimed, not wanting her daughter to hear her stress… not that she’d notice.

“Mum, my friends don’t find pink cool anymore so can you make sure that there’s no pink anywhere?” Lola asked

“Lola, I’ve already bought everything!”

“Well just take it back!” Lola snapped “It’s my party and it has to be perfect!”

After assuring her daughter that she would fix it, threw her phone back in her bag and began the drive to the bakers. She had ordered Lola a 3 tiered chocolate cake and had asked for it to be coated in pink frosting with her name spelt out on the top in pink writing. The party was in 2 days and Jenna prayed that they hadn’t started making it yet. The store was on the corner of a street and it was the cutest store that Jenna had been in. The scent of freshly baked goodies filled Jenna’s nose and she felt much calmer as she walked to the counter.

“Hi, how can I help you?” The owner smiled

“I ordered a cake 2 weeks ago for my daughter Lola and I need to make some changes”

“What kind of changes?”

“I need the frosting to be a different colour”

Jenna’s stomach had twisted in to a knot as she awaited the answer.

“Ok, but it will be an extra $20 to make the last minute change”

“Are you joking?!” Jenna exclaimed, louder than she was expecting

“I’m sorry Ma’am but the bakers have already begun to make the cake and it’s going to require throwing things out and starting again”

“I can’t spend another $20 on this cake but it needs to be perfect for Lola, isn’t there anything you can do?”

Jenna’s heart sank as the owner shook her head and apologised. Jenna left the store and got back in the car, tears pricking her eyes as she thought about the conversation she was going to have with her daughter once she got home. All Jenna wanted was to give Lola the party that she deserved and Jenna felt like she was failing. She stayed in the car and began to cry as she thought about all the other parties they had been to. Lola’s friends all had elaborate parties in their big houses. There was hired entertainment, expensive decorations and a party bag that had more value than Jenna’s car. She thought about all the other mothers. None of them worked. They all spent their days going out together for lunch, shopping trips and getting their nails done; never having to worry about money. Jenna was the opposite. She hasn’t had a day off for as long as she could remember. Even when Lola’s father was around, they still struggled. Now, Jenna was alone and having to support her daughter in every way. She calmed herself down and drove home. Jenna carried all the bags up to her tiny apartment in one trip and dropped them as soon as she was inside. Lola came running out of her room instantly. Jenna opened her arms for a hug and was quickly ignored as Lola went straight in to the Target bags.

Jenna looked at the mail on the table. All she ever received was bills and her bank statement. She picked up the mail and went to her room. She fell on to the bed and opened the letters. Her bank account was lower than she had budgeted and her bills were higher than normal. She really could have used that $100 that she’d spent at Target. Jenna heard Lola shout and throw something on the floor. She’s not happy. The door to Lola’s bedroom slammed. Jenna instantly felt tears falling down her face. She had let her daughter down. But she couldn’t change anything. Lola had most likely ripped open all the packaging, meaning Jenna wouldn’t be able to return it.

Jenna continued to cry as she thought about this party. Lola just wanted the perfect party… and Jenna couldn’t provide that. But, there was always next year…


August 06, 2019 03:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.