2 comments

Romance Fiction

Love is in the air… I thought it was supposed to be cinnamon, good cheer, and tidings of great joy, but apparently, it's love. People have just gone crazy this year! Let me tell you about my day as I hurry to the safety of my home. This icy sidewalk and brisk wind are going to slow me down a bit, so maybe I'll have time to tell the whole story before I get there.

Let's start with this morning. I'm a nurse at Good Cheer nursing home, and most days, I have the same patients. Well, there's this one elderly man, Eugene, who's in his nineties. He and I get along well. I like to sneak down the hall and see him on my breaks. We read stories together, and sometimes I'll smuggle him extra applesauce. I don't like having favorites, but if I had to pick mine, it'd be him.

On my 10:30 break, I brought Eugene his cinnamon applesauce, and we sat at his table talking about our day as usual. He unfolded his newspaper as I sipped at my coffee and enjoyed some peanut butter crackers.

“Have you seen the headlines?” he wondered.

“I haven’t had time to look this morning. What’s happened?”

“Well, Mary, people tend to be getting married older and older these days.”

“People are living longer,” I assumed and smiled at him. “I bet if you had someone in mind, you wouldn’t hesitate to marry again, Eugene.”

“My married life was some of the best years I’ve ever had,” he recollected with a smile. “Gerty was a sweetheart… I miss her.”

“I’m sure…. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to bring it up.”

“Nah, it’s ok. I like to think about her sometimes. She was very kind and helpful… real easy to talk to. You remind me of her some days.”

“Well, I’m honored by that. She had to be a wonderful lady to be with you for so long.”

“We truly enjoyed each other’s company. We loved our years parenting the children, but our relationship got even better once they were all out of the house. She and I could sit and talk like this.” He gestured to her and back to himself. “We could go out whenever we wanted… It felt like we were young again.”

“That’s sweet.”

“You know, you make me feel that way, too. It surprises me that you don’t seem to mind spending time with me like you do.”

“Well, we’re friends, and I would hate for you to be lonely. I like sitting with you.”

“I enjoy it too.” His warm eyes fell on me. "I've had an epiphany in the last couple of days."

“Should I get you some medicine?” I joked and made him chuckle as I brought the coffee mug to my lips.

“No, no,” he denounced and waved his arms before him. “I just… Well, I’ve been thinking. What if we got married?”

I nearly choked on that sip of coffee. Nervously, I laughed, hoping he was joking, but I saw no humor in his eyes.

“Like married, married?”

"Well, yeah. We get along well, and life is too short to wait around. You haven't married yet, and you're in your late twenties. I'm telling you it's the best part of life."

“I’m sure it is, but um… I have a boyfriend, Eugene.”

"And he's sure taking his time at asking you, too. What's it been now a couple of years?"

“Yes, but we are both working on our careers right now. He’s studying to be a doctor, and he graduates in May.”

“I don’t have that kind of time, Mary.” His age finally played a factor for him. My heart was racing as I tried to think of ways to let him down easy. I didn’t want to break his heart both for the reason of not wanting to hurt him, but also because I wasn’t sure what it would do to his delicate health.

“Eugene, I really like you, but I’m afraid you’d see me even less if we got married.”

“What do you mean?”

"Well, you see me here a lot, don't you? If we were married, you would still have to be here because I work so much. There are nights I miss dates because of overtime. I think it's best if we just stay friends and I visit as often as I can."

As his final act of persuasion, he pulled an old diamond ring from his shirt pocket, and I recognized it right away.

“This was Gerty’s ring. I won't live a whole lot longer, and when I die, this piece of jewelry will mean nothing to anyone else. You can have it and get money from it.”

"Eugene, you know your daughter would love to keep her mother's ring… I couldn't do that, I'm sorry. I'm very flattered that you offered, but I'm going to have to say no." He nodded understandingly, and I glanced at my watch. Break time was over five minutes ago. "I'm sorry, but I have to go." I stood from my chair and walked over to give him a side hug. "We'll always be friends, Eugene, and I think you'll agree with me. Once you've thought about it some more, you'll see that it's best for us to stay that way. I'll see you later." Quickly, I slipped out of his room and breathed relief in the hallway.

My nerves were shaken, and I made the rest of my interactions with patients brief. I didn't want Eugene to be humiliated, so I didn't tell any of the staff or residents of his sweet proposal.

I made it through to my second break at 4, and they were looking for volunteers to go home. Usually, I'm the last one here, but I can't do it today. On top of what happened, today is Christmas Eve. My boyfriend, Joseph, and I won't be together on Christmas, so he's coming by for dinner. After this, I am definitely looking forward to relaxing with him.

However, my crazy day was not over. I don't live far from the nursing home, so I walk to and from work. Well, today, I needed to stop by the fabric store a couple of streets over to finish the curtains I’m making for my guest room. I know I could buy them, but I enjoy making things. I also made the ones in my kitchen… Anyway, I didn’t get to make it to the store before something else happened to me.

I was passing the courthouse when this nice-looking, smiling young man sauntered up to me. He stopped beside me once he had my attention and seemed like he had something to say, so I stopped, too.

“Mademoiselle, pouvons-nous parler un instant.”

“Um… I’m sorry I don’t understand…”

“J'ai besoin de rester dans le pays.”

“I’m sorry, do you need something?”

“Je ne fais pas ça d'habitude,” he said and looked rather downcast as he looked to the sidewalk before he continued. “Mais je peux être un bon mari.”

"I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're saying," I said with a smile and light giggle. I wish I did, though. He seemed to need help or something. Suddenly, our language barrier was no longer a problem when he pulled a diamond ring from his pocket and sunk to his knee.

“Veux-tu m'épouser?” I didn’t need any translation on that one. This desperate young man was proposing to me!! I was unsure how to answer with our language barrier and all, but I ultimately shook my head.

“You seem nice, but I have a boyfriend. I’m sorry.”

“C'est bon je comprends,” he said and got up with a sigh.

“Good luck,” I wished as I began to walk away.

“Bonjour.”

“Bonjour,” I repeated and got a smile from him.

I then hastened up the street into the fabric store. Upon shutting the door, I felt the same relief wash over me as I did when I left Eugene this morning.

“Can I help you?” the store employee asked, thankfully in English.

"Um yes, actually. I'm looking for Victorian Lace. Do you have any more in stock? The last time I was in here, it was all gone."

“We should have some now. If we do, it’s in aisle 5.”

"Alright, thank you." I smiled at her, and we parted ways. I made it back to the aisle filled with lace and went about finding the Victorian selection I was looking for. The Christmas music overhead brought a light atmosphere, and I took my time searching. With a hum and a slight bounce to my movements, I moved in time to the music.

On the other side of the aisle, I could hear someone singing along, too. When I pulled back another book of fabric, I saw a very well-dressed man in his mid-thirties who had a voice that was smooth as silk. His curly hair bobbed with him when he stopped and noticed me. A smile curved his lips when he realized he’d been caught.

“It’s that time of year, I guess,” he said with a shrug.

“Yeah, it is. Merry Christmas to you.”

“You, too. We had a nice little duet going there.”

“Yeah, I guess we did,” I agreed with a giggle.

“I wonder, could you help me a moment?”

“Sure, I don’t work here, but I know my way around pretty well. What do you need?”

“Well,” he started and came closer. His cologne smelled expensive, and his suit screamed designer made. What was this guy doing in a fabric store? “My mother likes to sew, and she’s looking for some lace to hem a dress with. You seem to be a woman with good taste and good sense. Could you show me what lace would look best for her project?”

“She sent you to get it for her?”

“It’s part of her Christmas present. I’m getting her a new sewing box, machine, and all the trimmings. So, I thought I’d throw in some fabric she’s been wanting too.”

“Well, that’s sweet of you,” I said and smiled. “What material is her dress made out of?”

“It’s a deep purple velvet.”

“Hmm…” I went to work looking through the lace books on my side of the aisle. He made his way over to me.

“I really appreciate this.”

“Oh, sure. It’s no problem.”

“I wouldn’t even know where to start.”

“I’m glad I could help.” I then found the perfect soft, sheer black lace that would put an elegant touch on his mother’s dress. “What do you think?”

“It’s lovely. What could I do to repay you for your help today?”

“Oh, that’s really not necessary.”

“Let me buy what you were looking for today.”

“Well…”

“Please.”

“Alright, if you insist.”

“I do,” he said with a smile. I quickly found my Victorian lace near the one I had picked for him. “This time of year has everyone going crazy, doesn’t it? It makes you look back at previous Christmases and how far you’ve come since the last… My life has become so full within the last few years. Full of things I never thought I would own, events I never thought I would host, and more money than I know what to do with. You know, I have a sportscar outside?”

“I saw it on the way in,” I nervously acknowledged. “It’s nice.”

"Thank you. I like it, but this Christmas time has just made me realize… Well, my life is full of things but so empty. I need someone to share it with." I nodded along as this guy proceeded to tell me more than he had to.

“Well, I pray you find someone soon.”

“I think I have.”

“Oh? That’s good.”

“What do you say?”

“To what?”

“Will you marry me?”

“What?” My heart can’t take this. A third guy?

“That sportscar can be yours. I live in a mansion with a pool and a maid service. You can live in luxury and have all that money can buy if you’ll be my wife.”

“Sir… I… I don’t know what to say. I don’t even know your name.”

“It’s Jim Copeland. What’s yours?”

“Mary, but it doesn’t matter. I’m sorry, but I can’t marry you. I have a boyfriend.”

“I bet he can’t give you the things I can.”

"Life isn't about things; it's about the people in it. You said so yourself. I agree you need to find someone to share it with, but I'm afraid that girl isn't me. I hope you find someone to love you for who you are."

“Perhaps you’re right,” he said by the time we made it to the cashier. I set my lace down before he did and pulled my pocketbook out to pay for it. “I’ll still pay for your purchase.”

“No, it’s ok. I wanted to help you, not because I was getting something out of it. I think it will mean more to both of us if I pay for this myself. Merry Christmas, Jim.”

“You too, Mary. I hope that boyfriend realizes what a gem he has. You turned down being a millionaire’s wife to stay with him. He must be something special.”

“He is to me,” I affirmed before I left the store.

Frustrated, I made quick strides up the street, hoping to get to my house before I ran into another desperate man looking for a wife. Surely, this was some kind of record for how many proposals can be made to one person in a day…

I rounded the corner, and I could see my little apartment come into view. Never had I been so grateful to see it! Then, my phone rang.

Assuming it was probably Joseph, I readily answered it without looking at the ID. Never do that.

“Hello?” I answered with a smile.

“Mary! Oh good. I didn’t think you’d answer. I was sure you were still working.” The voice belonged to my ex-boyfriend. We had a wonderful and long relationship, but he ended it so he could move to California and work as a toy inventor for a major toy company.

“Nicholas?”

"It's been a long time, I know. I'm sorry. I've been so busy with work and… I know that's no excuse… How have you been?"

“I’m great.”

“Still working at the nursing home?”

"Yeah, I had a rather weird day today, but most days, I like it."

“You always were about helping people… Mary, I think I made a mistake.”

“In what, Nicholas?”

"In leaving you behind… I know this is no way to do this, but the phone seems to be all I have. You meant so much to me and still do. I was stupid to think a life without you would be fulfilling, and now I'm wishing I could go back."

“Nicholas…” My heart sunk.

“Will you help me make this right again? Will you marry me, Mary? Leaving you behind was the biggest mistake of my life. I’m so sorry.”

“Wow… um. I hate that you feel that way, but I’m sorry, I have a boyfriend now.”

“He can’t mean as much to you as I did.”

“What we have is pretty special, and I’m sorry, but I have to go.”

“I knew it was a long shot… Bye, Mary. Good luck to you.”

“You, too, Nicholas. Merry Christmas.” I hung up and turned off my phone.

The sun was now setting, and all the neighbors had turned on their Christmas lights. Magic overtook my block, but I hardly paid it any mind. I ran into my apartment building, where strings of Christmas lights twisted their way down the pillars and looked like confetti in the moonlight.

 However, I didn’t stop to admire them but instead ran up the stairs to my apartment. Slamming the door behind me, I was ready to end this day but was met with another surprise.

My living room was covered in lit candles, my tree lights were on, as were the twinkle lights around my windows. I knew I didn't leave them like that. Over the candles, I could smell dinner. It's Joseph.

"Joseph," I greeted with a smile and slipped out of my sneakers before putting my coat on the hook. "I'm home." He must have used the key under the mat to get in. What's he up to?

"Mary?" He emerged from the other room. "I wasn't sure when you'd be back." He greeted me with sparkling eyes and a quick kiss.

"Yeah, they let me off early… What's all this?"

"Well, I got a surprise today."

"I did, too. Several, but you go first."

"Alright. I got a promotion at work. They asked me to be a partner at the clinic as soon as I graduate in May."

"That's amazing! Congratulations!" I hugged him in celebration.

"Thank you, then I got to thinking. Everything is going so well, and we've worked so hard toward furthering our careers that… Well, we kind of put us on hold, and you deserve better than that. You deserve commitment. I love you and all that you are, Mary. So, I just have one question for you."

"Joseph…" My heart soared as he got on his knee and pulled out a diamond ring from his pocket.

"Will you marry me?" Everything about this moment was perfect and unmarred by how many times I'd heard that question today.

"Yes!" 

December 22, 2020 12:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Philip Ebuluofor
05:16 Dec 31, 2020

I like how the work was presented. Fine story line too.

Reply

Nicole Davis
15:42 Dec 31, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.