2 comments

Fantasy Coming of Age

Seamus O'Brien ran through the rocky fields surrounding his village with his friends, Eoin and Finn. Life was peaceful in the village of Oakdale, a tiny hamlet in a field surrounded by forests and mountains of the Emerald Isle.


Seamus and the boys sat on top of fence posts on the Chicken fence at a nearby farm.

"Life is good, ain't it, fellas?" Finn said.

"Cheers to that!" Seamus O'Brien replied.

"Brigid has smiled upon us! Eoin declared.


Oakdale was a prosperous village of farmers and hunter-gatherers.

"Seamus! Time for supper!" Seamus's mom called out.

"Sorry lads! Time for dinner!" Seamus said running home.

Seamus and his family had a humble supper of Lamb and Potatoes, and slept contentedly later that night, his dinner digesting as he slumbered.

The day after, Rabbits ate Seamus's family's carrot crops.

That morning the next day, Seamus was awakened by snarling, sheep wailing, and yelling from his father. When Seamus went outside, he saw his father, Eoin's father and Finn's father chasing after a pack of wolves that were running off with their sheeps in tow. They ran as fast as they could, but the three couldn't run fast enough to get their Sheep back from the Wolves. Seamus' father fired his shotgun at a Wolf with one of his Sheep, killing the Wolf. The Sheep ran back home.

The Wolves had made off with so many Sheep that Seamus, Eoin and Finn's family only had one herd of Sheep between all three of them, so they had to combine sheeps and share a herd.

The next day, Finn's family's field of crops got rained out in a severe storm, the wind from the storm blowing down the blacksmith's roof. A few crops survived the wind and rain, but most didn't, later that evening the local pub that Seamus's dad was a regular at caught fire. Later on, Seamus' father got sick.


Seamus remembered a story that his mother would tell him at bedtime about a patch of four leaf Clovers on an island in a lake on a mountain created by the King of Leprechauns. If one were to pick a Clover, one would be gifted with a large pot of gold. Determined to fix his family's bad luck, Seamus got up early in the morning to set off at the break of dawn for this special mountain. He crossed the fields surrounding his town until he got to the O'Malley Forest. When he went through the forest, he saw a Leprechaun on his travels sitting on a rock, a forlorn look on his face.

"Hey, you're a Leprechaun, aren't you? You're looking a bit glum, what's the matter?" Asked Seamus.

"Me pot o' Gold was stolen by thieves!" Moaned the Leprechaun.

"That's too bad. Hey, I know! I'm going to the Lucky Clover patch! If I can get there, I can share half of my Gold with you!" Offered the boy.

"That would be wonderful me boy! If you share half yer pot o' gold with me, I'll make it worth your while! I promise!" Declared the Leprechaun.

"Thank you, mr. Leprechaun! Now I'll be on my way!"

Seamus O'Brien traveled the O'Malley forest until he crossed the other side of the forest border, then travelled the rocky plains until he stopped to rest for the night under a flat rock supported by two thick short rocks. The next morning he continued on his quest, crossing the rocky plains. After crossing half of the plain, Seamus met a Heron.

"What's wrong, Heron? You look like you've injured your wing." Seamus asked.

"I have. A hunting dog bit my wing and now I can't fly anymore. A few miles to the north is a village where a Veterinarian who can fix my wing lives, can you take me there?" Pleaded the Heron.

"Sure, I can take you to the village. It's on the way to where I'm going anyway!" Answered Seamus.

Seamus carried the Heron to the village and asked where he could find the Veterinarian. When someone told him where to find the Veterinarian, he dropped the Heron off at his house.

"This bird's injured wing is a simple fix, but I can't fix it for free." Said the Veterinarian.

"But...I don't have any money..." said Seamus.

"That's fine. He can stay with me, and I'll look after him until you find some money!" Answered the Veterinarian.

"Thank you, sir!"

And so Seamus O'Brien crossed the rocky plains, crossed a small forest surrounding a small mountain with an arch Seamus O'Brien climbed the small mountain and walked down the natural arch until he found a grove of four leaf Clovers overlooking the sea.

Relieved to find the place, Seamus plucked a four leaf Clover from the ground. A Leprechaun just a few inches taller than himself wearing a gold crown floated down and said "You've come a long way to find this place. Take this pot of Gold! You earned it!" Said the King of Leprechauns.

Seamus placed the Gold in his burlap sack, said "Thank you very much for this gift, King of Leprechauns!" And continued home.

On his way home, he stopped by the Heron's village and paid the Veterinarian to tend to the wounded bird. When the Heron could fly again, the Heron gave Seamus a free flight back home to Oakdale. He rushed to the O'Malley forest and kept his promise to Share half of his Gold with the Unlucky Leprechaun.

"Thank ye, Lad! I promise this will be worth your while!" Said the Leprechaun.

When Seamus returned to his hometown of Oakdale, he gave the Pub owner enough Gold to afford to rebuild, Finn's family enough Gold to afford to replenish their crops and Sheep, gave the Blacksmith enough Gold to fix his roof, and he gave enough to Eoin's family to replenish their crops and sheep. Unfortunately by then, Seamus O'Brien had spent the last of his money, so when he returned to his family home, he simply went to bed and slept his sadness away.

The next morning Seamus O'Brien was woken up by shouts of joy from his parents. When he got out of bed, he noticed the house was almost twice as big as it had been before. He went outside to see the Crop fields teeming with Crops of all kinds, and there was a full pen of Sheep and something they hadn't had before: A pen with Cows.

A letter magically fell in front of Seamus, and Seamus grabbed it almost instinctively. The letter read

"Dear Seamus

I promised ye I'd make it worth yer while, didn't I?

Yer welcome!"

The letter then magically disappeared in a puff of green smoke.

June 15, 2021 02:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ravi Srivastava
05:29 Jun 25, 2021

What a delightful story! These days when there is a plethora of grim and depressing fiction, it is refreshing to see a story--even a fantasy--which ends n a happy note. The story comes as a breath of fresh air. Well done,Sarah

Reply

Marie McLaughlin
02:57 Jun 26, 2021

Thank you. If you have any critique, please critique me, because I want to learn and grow

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.