2 comments

Adventure Fiction Mystery

 Chris Hinrichsen Reeds y Contest 221

jchinrichsen88a@gmail.com No Way Cincy

Downtown Cincinnati Three hours ago. A brown tall and lank basketball player in a bellhop suit for the Hilton. Knocks hard on a hotel door on the twelfth floor. Knock Knock

“Room Service, Mr. Jones. Your rib dinner is ready.”

The young bellhop pushes the cart with a dinner covered in steel tray and covers along with a Sterno cup. He spots a white man lying on the ground naked and spread eagle lying face down in a robe. Suddenly a shadow smashes a vase over the young man's head.

Two hours later. The young man rises from the floor holding his head. His bellhop dress is smeared with bloody hand-prints. The young man looks at the crime scene as a pair of hotel security guards storm in with a pair of police officers. “Oh my gosh, what happened?”

The black police officer spots the bloody corpse as the young man seems shaken from trauma. “Kevin Reed, you are under arrest for the murder of Detective Gus Newton”

The young man rises with his hands behind his head. “I didn't do it, man. I just was delivering a rib dinner. I, don't know this guy.”

“Tell it to your defense attorney. Kevin Reed...you have the right to remain silent,,,, you have the right to counsel..” the police officer finishes the Miranda rights to the young basketball player from the University of Cincinnati.

Two hours later. Reed sits in an interrogation room and is joined by a public defender and two detectives. “Mr. Reed...I am Special Agent Robert Mitchell and this is Deputy Marshal

Reese Williams. We have been asked by the Cincinnati Police Department and Hamilton County Sheriff's office for the sensitive nature of this case. We like to hear your side of the story.” SAC Robert Mitchell stands at 5'8 and appears to be a Caucasian man with a short trimmed brown beard and justice blue eye. He wears a dark suit with a plum dress shirt and a blue necktie. Deputy Marshal Williams appears to be a Caucasian man with a five o clock shade he has brown hair and wears a Stetson Cowboy hat and appears to be dressed as a cowboy with a red flannel shirt and dark jeans along with cowboy boots.

“Like I told Five-O here, I did not know this guy who was killed, I didn't even know he was a detective. By the way, why are you feds here anyway? Isn't this supposed to go to the state or IA? I just delivered the meal and found the guy on the ground. Then some jerk hit me over the head that's all I know man.” Comments Reed as he gets a stern look from his public defender while speaking with the agents. His public defender is a black female in a dark dress and she appears older than she looks.

“Mr. Reed, please keep your mouth shut. Let me handle these agents.”

“Ms. Willows, your client does have some good questions and besides finding evidence on his bellhop. The state has good evidence to put him away for manslaughter and if he does not have any knowledge of the detective he could get up to fifteen years,” replies Mitchell.

“Besides being a cop-killer is never good with law enforcement officials. So try to work with us. Okay/” speaks the Deputy Marshal for the first time with a southern tone in his voice.

“Fine but please tell us why the Feds are involved this is not a federal matter?”

Mitchell offers a bottle of water to the young basketball player. “We got called in because of the sensitive nature which involves the deceased working with the Baleen family and was serving as a state witness for the sports betting network he was involved with. Please take a sip of water, Mr. Reed it's not drugged.”

“Than those are the guys who killed him. Like I said Five-O I did not do it.”

“I'm sorry to say, Kevin, that is not what the evidence shows and besides you being the only person nearby. The clues point to you.”

“This is BS, man. I did not do it.”

“What happened Kid, got busted for placing bets on your own team. Like Pete Rose or did you need a little boost to pay for your tuition. Come on work with us, Kid.” comments Williams. “Tell us you did it and you can go play with your friends in prison.”

“Hell-man, I am on a good scholarship and my friends are not in jail. So get your white asses out of here while I talk with my attorney. Kaddish.”

The two agents rise and acknowledge the public defender and Reed. “Will be right outside if you change your mind, Kid. Counselor” comments Mitchell.

The two agents walk over to a coffee table and pour two cups of coffee between them. Reese shows a sour look as he tastes the coffee. “Yuck..coffee never changes in police departments, Badge.”

Mitchell looks at Reese dumping a couple bags of sugar in his coffee cup and cream. “That's why I add a mess of sugar when I am in a police station. Takes the bitter taste away. What do

you think, did the kid do it?”

“The evidence is there, Badge, But something in his eyes says otherwise we do know he does not like authority. He was even hard on his PD. So there is a chance.”

“I, get the same feeling. We are missing something. Let me make a call.

'You're the boss, what do we tell the bureaucrats?”

“We tell them we need to look at the crime scene and examine the evidence ourselves.” Mitchell holds his smartphone in his free hand. “Yeah, Kayla. I need you to check something for us. Tell Ally to run a background check on Kevin Reed and stop by

UC to talk with his teammates.” He waits for a few words on the phone.

“Yeah...here is his SS number.”

Early evening, Downtown Hilton. Mitchell and Reese are joined by a black hair Caucasian female agent wearing a white business suit and slacks she carries a doctor's bag passing thru the turning doors of the hotel. Outside the residents of Cincinnati, Ohio is celebrating their Oktoberfest festival known as Zinnati festive. Several vendors bark at the agents on fountain square with beer and German foods.

“I always like this festival gives me a break to step away from the office. You guys should really try those German Potato pancakes.” inquires Mitchell who works out of the Hamilton County FBI headquarters.

'Which beer do you recommend, Badge?”

'One of the local ones they definitely have the German touch to it.”

Dr. Kayla Shaw speaks with an Aussie accent and looks at her teammates. “Well, Cincinnati has a sister city in Germany. So I believe you Yanks would celebrate Oktoberfest with a

high degree. What about this thing called Goetta? What is that?”

The trio enters the elevator and head for the twelfth floor. A group of Cincinnati police officers stands in the lobby taking reports from other people in the hotel lobby. The Police officers wear their new blue tactical uniform rather than their white ones that Cincinnati was famous for over the years.

Crime Scene 12th Floor.

The agents join a hefty short black woman who wears a dark turtleneck sweater and trousers she has a police windbreaker over her dress. Mitchell extends his hands and greets the woman.

“Detective Harris, good to see you again. How are you doing today?”

“Agent Mitchell, my captain called me when he said you wanted to check the scene. Though it

has been cleaned up by the CSI people I do have some photos I can share with your team.” Harris extends her hand for their smartphones. “These shots were taken as soon as my CSI team got here. Looks like a pretty much open and shut case.” The smartphone rings when the transfer is shared between the agents and officers.

'Just need you to sign the chain of custody stuff so it does not get messed up in the bureaucratic shuffle.” She hands a COC evidence sheet which gets signed by Mitchell.

“Agatha, did you find anything out of place may be a silver tray or something. Since the perp claims he got over the head by something. This is proven by the EMTs when they

checked him out after his arrest.”

“When I took your class at Quantico, I became a meticulous detective and to be honest I did not or the CSI team found anything that could have bumped over his head.”

Dr, Shaw reviews the body photograph on her smartphone and looks reviews the possible cause of death at the scene. “Looks like your detective was having to much fun but I don't see any visible wounds, But I will call the Coroner to verify their findings.”

Mitchell places on a pair of booties with a rubber band to them and walks into the hotel room with his FBI evidence kit. He starts to enter a trance to see if something comes out of it. His mind visualizes what the crime scene looked like once Reed entered the room. Talking to himself he mumbles the areas that stand out for the crime scene. The body being spreadeagled on the floor and the pool of blood surrounding his body. He then starts to feel what happened to Reed from the interview.

Mitchell steps out of his trance state and reaches into his FBI kit. Spraying the IR phosphorous chemical on the door and wall behind where Reed walked in. Using an IR flashlight a shadow of a woman appears on the wall and door. “Will you look at that, there was someone here. Agatha where can we find any of the Baleen goons?”

Three blocks north of the Downtown Hilton.

Harris, Mitchell, Williams, Shaw and two police officers, and deputy sheriffs enter a Mediterranean restaurant. Seated in the back corner sits a Greek-Turkish man with a thin black mustache and wearing nice clothes is joined by a Greek woman with a nightdress. The smells of fine Mediterranean food spread in the air of the restaurant.

Harris takes point followed by Mitchell and Reese. The remaining lawmen surround the perimeter of the noted restaurant. Harris approaches the lank Greek-Turkish man “Hi Ira, can we talk to you for a minute?”

Ira Baleen rises from his seat and flees the dining area pushing a waitress aside who was carrying a meal to a customer. “Oh, Crap!” comments Harris as Reese joins her in chasing down the junior crime boss of the Baleen family. The girl sitting rises from her seat but is held down by Mitchell and Shaw. “I'm afraid your dinner date is over.”

Baleen rushes through the kitchen tossing aside pots and plans to divert the cops from chasing him. “Out of the way! Out of the Way!” The pots and pans crash against the floor as he leaves the kitchen through the backdoor.

Reese jumps over the smashed pots and pans as Harris speaks into her radio calling for backup. 'This is Harris, our suspect is going out the back cut him off!” Reese continues to pursue the fleeing fugitive.

Reese comes out onto a diverted traffic route from the festival as cars honk at the fleeing Ira Baleen. He is quickly joined by a deputy sheriff and police officer who joined him in the foot pursuit. 'He is going that way you guys take the right and I will take the left.” The cops push their way from the traffic hitting front ends of cars to continue their foot chase in the evening hours of Downtown Cincinnati.

The cops manage to catch up to Ira Baleen on fountain square. Reese and the deputy sheriff tackle Ira baleen like to defense-backs on an NFL game. Ira lands in the noted fountain on fountain square with a black deputy sheriff and Reese hold him down in the running fountain waters. “Ira Baleen...you are under arrest for the hit on Detective Gus Newton. You have the right to remain silent...you have the right o an attorney..”.Reese finishes offer the Miranda rights to the suspected junior crime boss.

Reese and the deputy sheriff still soaking from the tackle pass a standing crowd with Ira Baleen in handcuffs. As smartphone take picture of the action on fountain square this evening.

“Man..I hate smartphones.” comments the Deputy Sheriff.

Hamilton County Booking Center.

Ira Baleen now in prison coveralls is handcuffed to a bar on the table between him and the lawmen. Reese now changed into a Cincinnati Police Shirt and jeans joins Mitchell and Harris in the interrogation room. “Well, Ira it looks like you had a bad hair day today. You know why you are here. So let me get to the logistics of your arrest.” comments Mitchell

“It seems someone squealed to you that Newton was turning state evidence against your family. In order to avoid being prosecuted for illegal sports betting debts, he owed you. A good deal, if I may say but somehow you got word of this and you decided to take matters into your own hands. Detective Harris if you please.”

“It seems your snitch, Ira told you that Newton had a high hormone drive for both men and women. So to solve your problem for turning state evidence you got one of your streetwalkers to take care of him for you. Well, it seems this streetwalker had both a man and woman bad mojo.”

“Your hit-man or woman whatever it is was paid by you to entertain the deceased and use whatever it can carry to kill him. Agent Mitchell am I correct?”

“That's correct Detective. You see Ira your hit-man wanted something in return for their services. That's why you were having dinner with them tonight to pay them off and get them out of the country.”

“But unfortunately Mr. Reed stepped in after a rib dinner was ordered by Newton. So your hired help had little experience in killing and panicked when Reed showed up. So to make it look like Mr. Reed did it, the hired gun knocked Reed out and framed him for murder.”

“But you are probably wondering how your hired gun got out without being seen by both the cameras in the security and arriving officers. That was tricky but after talking with your hired gun we found out that he/she was a Greek gypsy who had studied arcane ways to vanish from the common eye. Pretty wild but he/she offered a quick class in disappearing for a lighter sentence.”

“I'm afraid your time as a junior crime boss of your family has been shut down. We will see you in court. Detective.”

Epilogue.

Kevin Reed steps out of the Hamilton County detention center with his parents and public defender now wearing a UC tee shirt and jogging pants provided to him by his parents. Mitchell walks up to the young man and greets him and his family. “Mr. Reed, I just wanted to apologize for what happened to you in the last few days. I know you may not forgive us but I am sad to say that to a point your case would have been different if we did not find the real bad guys.”

“Once again, I am sorry for what happened to you and my partner was just being the famous bad cop scenario. Once again, Ira Baleen and his hired gun will be going to jail for a long time. I wish you luck in your basketball scholarship at UC and if you need anything here is my card.” Mitchell hands him a business card and excuses himself from his release from jail.

Mitchell is joined by Reese and Dr. Shaw. “I think I owe you a beer, Reese and for you Kayla a dinner of Goetta. Come on there is a nice diner that I go to when I am near the detention center that has all our appetites.”

The End    

December 16, 2020 14:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Trixie Pereira
08:59 Dec 24, 2020

I liked the story, I was on the edge, hoping Kevin would not get in trouble.

Reply

18:51 Dec 24, 2020

Thanks for enjoying the story have a good holiday

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.