52 comments

Drama LGBTQ+ Romance

Ellie's POV

I heard the organ play as Heather walked down the aisle. She wore a shimmering white dress, catching sunlight as it dragged to the floor. She wore a white veil with fresh flowers in her high bun. She looked stunning. But she didn't look at me.

She looked to Mat, a bright smile on her face.

She walks up and places her hands into Mat's. I stood next to her, plastering a fake smile on my face.

Roses and daisies. She smelled like roses and daisies

~~~

Eighteen years ago, we were in Kindergarten. Heather was the new girl, shy and self-consciousness.

"Everyone," our teacher said, "This is Heather. Heather, go sit in the back next to Ellie."

Heather came to the back and sat next to me.

"Roses and daisies," I said calmly.

"Huh?" asked Heather, tilting her head sideways to the point she flipped her hair.

"You smell like roses and daisies."

~~~

Fifth Grade

We were in the park, in the field filled with all kinds of flowers. We ran and ran after each other, smiling and laughing. Heather fell to the ground, and I tripped on her. We laid on top of each other, smelling the flowers.

"You got something in your hair," said Heather.

"Hey, you too!" I said. We both reached over and pulled the flowers out of each other's hair. I picked up a rose. She picked up a daisy.

~~~

10th Grade

We were sitting on the beach, staring out into the night sky together. We had snuck out at five am.

"The sky looks so beautiful!" Heather said.

"It's not the only thing," I said, looking to Heather. She met my gaze. We both leaned in.

"Guys!" We both pulled away, "I got the ice cream!" said Mat. He handed an ice cream to me, and looked to Heather.

"They only had two left, so Heather and I can share," Mat said, holding the ice cream out to Heather. She took it. They stared at each other exactly how Heather and I were. He leaned in, and this time, their lips met. Simultaneously, the sun rose in the sky.

I freeze, forcing the tears to hold in. I dropped my ice cream, along with Heather's charm bracelet she gave me. One of the charms was a jar, filled with..

Roses.

And daisies.

~~~

12th Grade, Graduation

We were at the same park we visited in 5th grade. Only this time, we were with Mat. He and Heather were kissing under the willow tree, not looking at me. I teared up, and ran away. Heather had noticed and ran after me.

"What happened?" she had asked me. I could have told her the truth. I should have. But instead, I said something else.

"Oh, I'm not feeling well.." I said.

"Aw, okay! Go get some rest!" Heather held out something in her hands toward me. I grabbed it, and looked down.

A rose petal.

Right next to a daisy.

~~~

"You may kiss the bride." said the officiant. I teared up, my hands cold and sweaty, my heart pounding against my chest; My brain only knew one thing.

Run.

So I did. I didn't look back to meet Heather's confused gaze. I dropped something on the way out. I turned around, Heather looking at me. We both stared at what fell.

A rose.

And a daisy.

______________________________

Heather's POV

I walked down the aisle, drying up my tears. I don't know why I had said yes when he asked me to be his girlfriend. Or when he proposed. The word slipped out of my mouth before I could think.

I had hidden a daisy in my hair, along with a rose. Only one person would know what that meant.

~~~

I had liked Ellie ever since that one day in kindergarten. She had said I smelled like roses and daisies.

I pulled my hair back. "Thank you! I snuck on my mom's rose perfume! We have a bunch of daisies at home so I made a flower crown out of them!"

"Whoa! It's so pretty!" Ellie exclaimed cheerfully, "Can you make one for me?"

"Of course! I will make it out of roses and spray it with daisy perform! We will be twinning!"

"Yay!" I looked into Ellie's eyes.

~~~

10th Grade

We were at the beach. We were sixteen, so it was no surprise we had snuck out to watch the sunset.

"The sky look so beautiful!" I exclaimed.

"It's not the only thing," I look to Ellie. Did she mean me? I was so confused. What was even more confusing was that Ellie leaned in. And so did I.

Mat came in, holding out two ice creams. "Guys! I got the ice cream!" He handed a cone to Ellie. "They only had two left, so Heather and I can share." I knew for a fact they weren't out of ice cream, but I didn't bother to correct him. He leaned in and kissed me, the same thing that was going to happen between Ellie and I.

I liked Mat, but it didn't feel like lasting love. It felt like something quick, something short. But I guess to him, it felt like something that he could live with for a whole lifetime, which is why he proposed six years later.

As Ellie ran through the aisle, I knew what I wanted. I liked Mark, but what I felt with him was nothing compared to what I felt like around Ellie.

______________________________

Ellie's POV

"Ellie, wait!" exclaimed Heather, as we looked at each other. She grabbed my hands.

"Heather.." I said, "I have to go. Don't look back."

"No, Ellie, you don't understand!" she said, but I pulled my hands away as everyone came out of the church. I went into my car, and turned on the engine.

"I'm sorry, Heather."

"No!" Heather yelled. But I made my choice.

I drove away from the parking lot. I didn't know where I would go. I could only think of one thing.

Roses.

With a hint of daisies.

October 01, 2020 20:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

52 comments

I felt like writing a super sad love story, while listening to super, sad songs. (β•₯﹏β•₯) Edit: Aaand this comment got downvoted- that's depressing oh well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:53 Oct 25, 2020

HAPPPPY LATE B-DAY

Reply

Thank you Cereal Killer!! :D

Reply

Sounds weird saying that πŸ˜‚

Reply

23:15 Oct 25, 2020

Loll

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Molly Leasure
00:49 Oct 09, 2020

This is super sad, gosh. You give us that small spark of hope that Heather is going to get the words out and make everything better, but then they're dashed. But I understand where Ellie is coming from. It'd be hard to want to be with someone, no matter HOW MUCH you loved them, when they were always chasing someone else. Aside from the sadness, or maybe because of the sadness, what a nice piece. You did a wonderful job! :)

Reply

Thanks! This was my first sad story, I'm glad you enjoyed it (Well, as much as you could without shedding a tear or two)!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
03:36 Apr 12, 2021

oof...I like the theme (kinda obvious lol) It could have been cool if one girl was like Daisies. With a hint of roses. and then the other Roses. With a hint of daisies. just an idea :)

Reply

Thanks! I've been thinking of doing a part 2, from Mark's perspective or smth

Reply

TJ Squared
03:40 Apr 12, 2021

yeah it's like what is that poor guy thinking lol. you should :)

Reply

TJ Squared
04:20 Apr 12, 2021

nbvfgyuiolkmnbvc *ending another thread yay*

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
05:37 Mar 08, 2021

ooh I just realized something... you put my name next to a purple heart (my formal fav color) and I just did a snipet about 'Why Can't There be Purple?' How ironic!

Reply

I didn't realize that LOL

Reply

TJ Squared
15:22 Mar 08, 2021

:)))))))

Reply

TJ Squared
15:49 Mar 08, 2021

:PPPPPPPPP *are we gonna do this again again XDDDDDDDDD*

Reply

:33333333333 *If u want to lol*

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.