0 comments

Drama Holiday Mystery

Tears rolled down his cheeks as he pinned down every single word on to the paper to finally complete the writing of his will. Writing this will was one nightmare that John dreaded to the latter but knew that he stood no choice but to write it anyway. The recent tragedic events in his life had such an effect on him that he considered it was best to write this will no sooner than later. The accidents, divorce, and his recent admission into the hospital for a major heart failure hastened the very process of writing this will. Of course, he knew so well that the only person who would like his will was himself. In no way did he even think that his family and other people would so much treat a will such as his with hospitality. Imagine a will where a father wills his property to a child he only adopted a few months back. Leaving his entire family with nothing but the house they resided in. However, to John, this was no obstacle to the writing of the will.

John was determined to write as planned no matter what submission or selfish thought anyone would have on him. It was no longer about people, it was only about him. Much as it hurt him to write a will that stood no approval, he knew it was the only right thing to do. ‘’There are times when it’s not about people as long as it’s the right thing to do’’, he thought. He had a lot in his memories to support his decision of writing such a will. As a reputable man in society, all he ever wanted was to give his children a proper upbringing. The more he thought about the efforts he invested in raising in his kids, the more remorse he grew. His first son James moved out of the home barely at the age of sixteen. He refused school despite the efforts of his father to keep him in school at all costs. From the time he left home, his father knew not of James's whereabouts until the news reached that he was charged for drug trafficking. His only little sister left the home too after getting pregnant for John’s office assistant.

The world came crushing for John the very day he lost all his money and watched the company he had so much built brick by a brick collapse in a single day. He had read so many stories on fraudsters but did not think of the fact that he was a victim himself in the making. John had tried to keep his married life happy and stable. However, the recent loss of his enterprise birthed a whole new definition to his marriage. It was hard for him to effectively run the family with daily demands. His wife grew tired of what she often dismissed as ‘’empty words’’ whenever John said everything would be fine sooner than later.

John hoped that things would get better. On the contrary, things became darker so that day and night did not matter to him anymore. For him, there was no difference anymore between the two since both day and night only increased his sorrow. Even his friends avoided him, his circles were so narrowed that his best friend and companion was nothing but alcohol. Even the respect he commanded from his wife was soon fading. She always barked at him and noted several times how she regrets ever marrying a man of his kind. By now, it was not unusual for her to come back home late.

It did not take long before Clara left her husband’s house. This event is one of the kind that sent chills and tremors down his feet each time he recounted the experience. He was all alone in the house now. John never knew how much his luck was in the world anymore. He was not even sure if he should continue saying to himself that things were going to get better soon. He desired death more than anything in the world again. Clara knew that was the end of John. She found it much disturbing to think that a man who had just lost $1.4billion worth of investments would stand a chance of rising again not to talk of the loans he owed several banks. She knew it was time to say goodbye for good.

John had earlier reported the case to the police but had not heard from them in a very long time. He decided to drink at a bar onetime. He got so drunk that he could hardly move an inch. John managed to roll himself out of the bar. He staggered all the way that leads to his home. It was quite a rainy day that night, he fell into a pool of water and was almost drowning. A passerby noticed something fishy and came to his rescue. The stranger recognized him as john was a very popular man in society. The boy carried him to his house where they both spent a night at John’s place.

John did not recall much of what had transpired in the night not until Peter explained to him how he saved him from nearly drowning in a pool of water. Peter was an orphan but disciplined and likable. John offered him shelter and the two got along quite well and easily. Peter was fine doing most of the house chores in John’s house. Peter’s sense of humor and livelihood painted some happiness in the life of John.

It was not long before John received information from the inspector of police that criminals who had robbed him of his fortune were now in custody. That was not the only good news, all of John’s money had also been recovered. The statement of ‘’things will get better soon’’ had now started to make meaning in the life of John. He was able to put back his company all together again and was back in business like never before.

News soon reached his wife and children who immediately came back to their father’s house. John did not present much resistance to them but it was clear they had lost much of his trust and love. The episodes of accidents and illness that suddenly followed John’s life printed clear signals that life could end anytime. He did not want to die and have people fighting for his property. His major nightmare was also to imagine that his wife and sons would inherit his property after all they did to him. Of course, it was their right to inherit their father’s belongings but not after the way they had treated him.

As he held that pen, he made sure all his property was willed to Peter. Afterall he saved his life. He signed it with so much courage. However, one clear fact did not leave his mind, he knew people would not like it, but again it did not matter to him anymore.

August 28, 2020 21:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.