0 comments

Adventure Drama Crime

“Umm,” said Norton. “Yeah, I need a new laptop dad,”

“No Norton, you’re too small you’ll butt in random websites!” said Mr. Bill (Norton’s dad).

“First off, I’m fifteen, ok, second of all, I promise I’ll not butt in random websites”,

“Shut up, Norton. Your mother will kill me she said to go and fetch some bread from the shop,” he said crossly.

“Fine dad…,” murmured Norton. “Decide it yourself,”

“Urgh!” growled Mr. Bill.

“Fine, fine relax dad,” said Norton calmly.

“OUT!”

Norton hurried out of the room before Mr. Bill could say another word. He went into his room.

“YES, dad’s getting convinced,” he said to himself.

The next day he woke up early rubbing his shining green eyes, scratching his dark black hair. As black as a blackboard.

He went out of his room.

“What’s for breakfast, mum,” he said his eyes still closed.

“Ah, woke up early, for breakfast, hot baked bread loaf, butter, pudding, and a piece of tomorrow’s cake,” she said.

“Mum, do you think I can get a laptop,” he asked.

“Shame Norton, the first thing that you’re concerned about when you wake up, eh!” she shouted.

Norton ignored.

“Can I?”

“I’ll talk to your father,” she said lowering her voice.

“Then hurry,”

She growled just like her husband.

“Please,” added Norton quickly.

“I told you to say please!” she shouted.

Norton quickly ate his breakfast. He went to his friend Draco’s house.

“Hey, Nort whatcha doin’,” said Draco taking Norton’s coat.

“Nowadays?” asked Norton.

“Yup,”

“Just convincing parents to buy a laptop,”

“Haven’t got one yet!”

“Nope,”

“I have an idea,” said Draco.

“You do!” cried Norton in excitement knowing it was something evil.

“I’ll come to your house, force your parents to buy a laptop without them noticing. Since I am a guest they’ll do it,” said Draco.

Norton laughed.

“My parents even won’t listen to you!” said Norton.

“Let’s give it a try,”

“OK,”

The two boys went back to Norton’s house. They entered the house.

“Mom, I’m here, and Draco said he’d like to meet you guys,”

“Doesn’t sound like Draco to me,” she shouted from the kitchen.

“Mum, he can hear you, he is standing right here,” Norton shouted back.

He and Draco could hear her say:

“Oh, what did I do? I insulted Draco in front of him!”

Norton laughed. “She always makes a mistake and then feels guilty about it for a year,”

“Oh yeah, same to my mum,” said Draco.

“Whatever, let’s go sit,”

The two sat down. Mrs. Bill bought a meat pie, cold pickles, and orangeade.

“Seriously…,” said Draco. “…Your mother makes a fine dinner,”

“Nice one,” said Norton laughing.

“Really,”

Soon Mrs. Bill came. She sat at the table and did nothing except for staring at Draco with the widest smile Norton had ever seen. Her big smile. Her fist under her chin.

“Um-Er Mrs. Bill you know my parents. They gave me a mobile when I was only ten, weird right?” said Draco.

“Dear, are you trying to say something?”

“NO!” said Draco quickly. “Just wanted to tell you, our teacher told us to bring a laptop and you know my parents bought it in a second. And hasn't Nort told you that teacher shouted at him for not bringing a laptop!”

“NORTON! Really,” said Mrs. Bill.

“Ur—No-Yes I mean yes,” said Norton stupidly.

“Oh poor child, I’ll buy you a laptop,” said Mrs. Bill.

“What!,” whispered Norton to Draco.

When Mrs. Bill was gone. Norton’s head was about to blow up.

“Look, I did it!” showed off Draco.

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN?” said Norton.

“What I mean is, you’ll get a laptop,”

“But you lied, our teacher never said anything like this!” said Norton.

“But…”

“Never mind,” said Norton.

The next day Norton forgot about everything.

“Mum what’s for…” said Norton being interrupted.

“Oh, look what your dad bought,” she said handing Norton a brand new dark black laptop.

“WHAT!? A NEW LAPTOP. THAT’S NOT FOR ME IS IT? THANKS, MUM,” he said running into his room and slamming the door.

He sat down and excitedly looked at the laptop. He opened the screen slightly. Not in even a minute, five games were downloaded and his eyes stuck to the laptop. This was so cool. For then days Norton started using his laptop. His eyes never got off the screen.

A week later his laptop kept saying something which he had never seen, he asked Draco but Draco said he knew nothing. The laptop said:

“Tell us whatever we ask or else we will tell a gang your location. Tell your family this. We have no time. Kid, listen to us and do not risk your life. We are no murderers . We will be ones if you do not listen to us take our number 92-234567 and message us now. It is your own choice,”

Norton did not know what to do. He remembered his father say ‘Do not butt in things’ but did he want his family to be located? He called Draco and explained to him everything.

“Nort, maybe someone from your family wrote it to test if you would answer. I see this is all rubbish don’t answer. Or else risk your life,” said Draco.

“But that’s what the computer said,” said Norton confused.

“I’m your friend you believe me… You aren’t lying are you?”

“Even you’re not believing me,” said Norton disbelieving.

“It’s hard to believe. Sorry, Nort but it’s really hard to believe you,” said Draco a slight break in his voice.

“I know,” muttered Norton.

“Bye, Nort, mum’s calling me,” said Draco as he cut the line.

“My best friend doesn’t believe me!” said Norton hurt.

“KNOCK, KNOCK,” Mr. Bill entered.

“What is it?” said Norton..,

“What’s up my boy? You seem um-disappointed,”

“The laptop’s been…,” Norton stopped. He’d rather not. “Just sleepy,” he lied.

“Sleep well, night,” said Mr. Bill walking out of the room.

Norton could not sleep. Thinking of ‘Murder’ was too much for him to bear. His green eyes shining in the dark made them really prominent.

“What do I do,” said Norton to himself.

“What do I…,” his eyes closed and he slept. His eyelids facing down.

He had several nightmares and woke with a jump but slept again. He breathed heavily.

The next morning. It was dull. He felt lazy.

“What’s for breakfast, mum?” he said in a weak lazy voice. “I…,” he sneezed.

“…am feeling….,” he coughed. “…sick,” he ended his sentence.

“Oh, Lord!” “We’re going for a doctor’s appointment,” she said worriedly.

Norton went and sat on the laptop. Something different had appeared, another note:

“Have you decided yet? The number: 92-234567,”

Norton took the number and messaged them back:

“Get off my back moron,”

“Wait, they’ll follow me! I called them ‘moron’ and ‘get off my back, ” said Norton worriedly. He went to delete the message but they had already read it. He was too late.

The next day Norton called Draco.

“Hey, Draco, mum, told me to go out in fresh air so my fever gets well, wanna come?”

“Yes, sure,” came Draco’s voice from the other end.

“Draco I’m worried about this location work,” said Norton.

“RUBBISH,” said Draco.

“I called them ‘get off my back,”

“RUBBISH,” said Draco.

“I called them ‘moron’,”

“RUBBISH,” said Draco.

“What rubbish?!”

“LIES, ALL LIES,” said Draco.

“Whatever,” said Norton changing the subject annoyed.

The two met at the main road.

“Nort, don’t drive me crazy, about this location stuff,” said Draco angrily. There was silence for a second.

“Try it yourself,” said Norton taking out his laptop from his bag.

Draco messaged but there was no answer.

“C’mon NORT,” said Draco. He looked back. He gasped. Someone is following us…..

“A-Chiu,” sneezed Norton violently. “Sorry runny nose. What were you sayin’ again,”

Draco repeated what he had said.

“Now do you believe me!?” said Norton.

“O’course. Leave me to my home!” said Draco like a scaredy-cat.

“Don’t be a scaredy cat, silly!” said Norton.

But Draco was scared stiff. They arrived at the park.

“I think, we should rest in this park,” said Draco panting and sweating.

“Good idea,”

The two went to the park now the man was out of sight. They sat on a bench but the man appeared right on the bench beside them.

His red hair looking as silly as his red mustache. He was eating something and made disgusting sounds like ‘chump, chump’.

Norton saw another man coming he looked at the red-headed then said:

“So you fooled the children, eh?”

“O’course master Harry. That child Norton, such a stupid head… chomp, ” said red-headed.

That irritating voice ‘chomp’ annoyed Norton.

“Eh, Ha-ri, I write to Norton that we’re on our way to kill em,” said red-headed.

“I no wanna stay in prison!” said Harry.

“Not really, we’ll just lie, eh?” said red-headed.

“Okay…. ‘chomp’,” said Harry throwing some yellowish thing from his mouth which he was eating.

“Norton! I’m GOING,” said Draco as loudly as he could.

“SHHHH!”

—But he was too late the two had heard him. Red-headed walked up to Norton.

“You wa Norton,” he said.

Norton felt unconscious.

“Yes, I’m Norton,” he said stupidly.

Draco suddenly got alert.

Red-headed took a grey handkerchief-ish thing putting it on Norton’s nose and mouth. Norton’s eyes closed.

Did he die?

Did he faint?

Where was Draco?

What was happening?

Norton felt sick.

Next, he opened his eyes he was lying on the hospital bed. His throat felt sour. His windpipe was thick.

“M-mum?” he said.

“Yes son!” she gasped.

“I’m feeling fine I have to go out for a walk,” said Norton seeing that Draco was nowhere to be seen. “Where’s Draco?”

“At his home. If you went to the park with him it means he gone but if you didn’t it means he’s at home,” said Mrs. Bill.

This meant Norton went to the park with Draco and Draco was gone!

“OH MY GOD!” he said to himself.

“Mum, I think I’ll go to find Dra… I mean I’ll go out for a walk again,” he said.

“To get kidnapped again! At least not when you’re in a hospital bed!”

“It’ll take a day for you to recover,” said the nurse from behind.

What!!! thought Norton.

What will Draco’s mother say? He thought to lie for his, Draco’s, Mrs. Bill, and Draco’s mother’s own good.

“After a day I’ll go out for a walk,” said Norton.

“You never liked going for a walk?” said Mrs. Bill suspiciously.

“Um?”

“Never mind, you can rest,” she said.

Norton lay down again. He felt like someone choking him. His back hurt he’d laid so long. He was really worried about Draco.

“Mrs. can you go out. We’d like to take Norton’s X-ray,”

“Yes, sure,” said Mrs. Bill but really offended.

Norton’s X-ray was taken. Nothing was wrong. He was given vegetables to eat so his throat can be clear. He was given cold things like:

Ice-cream, orangeade, and lemonade.

The next day when Norton woke up. He saw Mrs. Roland (Draco’s mother) crying. He pretended to sleep. When Mrs. Angelina was gone Norton opened his eyes.

“Er-Mum someone was crying?” said Norton.

“Mrs. Roland,” said Mrs. Bill sighing. “Draco disappeared somewhere. Don’t know what to do? Any idea?”

“What!,” shouted Norton acting astounded. “I’ll try to help,”

‘Knock, Knock’

“C’min,” said Norton, and in came Mrs. Roland and Mr. Roland.

Mr. Roland seemed really worried and so did Mrs. Roland of course.

“Norton, help me find Draco,” said Mr. Roland.

“Yes, sir,” said Norton quickly.

“Diana is really worried,” said Mr. Roland.

“Do not worry Mrs. Diana,” said Norton looking at Mrs. Roland.

“I’m not worried,” she said as a tear rolled down her cheek.

Norton would go save Draco for it was his fault.

“Someone has a grudge against these two boys,” said Mr. Roland importantly in a stern voice.

Norton said nothing but kept staring at Mr. Roland.

“Has anything happened recently?” asked Mrs. Bill suspiciously.

“NO!” said Norton quickly.

“Look if you’re lying then…,” said Mrs. Bill being interrupted.

A nurse came in.

“Mr. Norton you’re recovered, you can go home,” she said politely to Norton.

“Let’s get going,” said Mrs. Bill.

Norton, Mr., and Mrs. Bill went home.

“You can go with Mr. Roland to find Draco, Norton,… after eating dinner,” said Mrs. Bill.

“Perhaps,” said Norton.

Norton ate dinner and went to find Draco with Mr. Roland. He knew to go to the park because that's where he had fainted. He did not tell Mr. Roland this.

“Norton, perhaps you can guide the way,” said Mr. Roland lazily.

“Yeah,”

Norton guided the way to the park and saw something yellowish on the floor.

“That’s it!” he said to himself. “This is what the men were eating!”

Following the thing, they arrived at a big, old, and broken house.

“That’s probably where Draco is,” said Mr. Roland easily.

“Perhaps,”

There were hundreds of windows in the house.

“In one of the windows room, should be Draco,”

“Perhaps,” said Norton.

“Let’s get separated and check the windows,”

“Perhaps,” said Norton.

The two separate but both of them could not find even a clue! Finally, Norton arrived and saw a window checked inside and there was Draco! (sitting hopelessly)

Norton tried to open the window but it was bolted.

“Draco! Draco! HERE!,”

Draco could not hear Norton. The best thing now was to go to Mr. Roland and tell him that he had found Draco Roland.

So he went to Mr. Roland and told him this. Mr. Roland also came calling:

“DRACO!” but Draco could not hear. “Look! A telephone inside the room,”

“So?”

“We can call him, NORTON!”

“Great IDEA Mr. Roland,” said Norton as he took out his phone.

The mobile made sounds like ‘Teet, Teet, Teeeet’

Norton called Draco but, Draco didn’t pick up but a random person.

“Er- Wrong number Mr whoever you are,” said Norton quickly cutting the line.

He knew that this was Harry’s the red-headed’s idea, they did something on Norton’s laptop and mobile.

“Break the window,” Norton gave an idea.

He picked up a little pebble and threw it on the window, the window shattered into little glass and scattered over the floor. Draco jumped.

“Let me go!” he shouted.

“It’s us! Come, quick Draco!”

Draco jumped out of the window and the three ran as far as they could from the house, even Mr. Roland.

When they reached Roland’s house Mrs. Roland threw her arms around her son

“Draco, oh, Draco,” she sobbed happily.

Mr. and Mrs. Bill also came to Roland’s house.

“Since every one of you is here, I want to tell you something,” said Norton as Draco nodded encouragement.

Norton told them everything about the laptop and everything…

“…So, it’s my fault,” he ended.

Mrs. Roland said:

“It’s Draco’s fault as much as Norton’s,”

“I agree,” said Mr. Roland in a manly voice.

“I’ve prepared a feast,” said Mrs. Roland. “Let’s eat it,”

“…And,” said Mr. Bill. “…I’ll go with Roland to tell the police,”

“Thank’s for savin’ me you know,”

Norton gave Draco a slight fist bump.

If you were poor Norton

Norton was forcing his parents to buy a laptop but they wouldn’t. His mother, Mrs. Bill cared about his eye sight and his father Mr. Bill thought he’d butt in random websites. He was upset he didn’t have one laptop. He and his friend Draco tricked Mr. and Mrs. Bill and told them Norton needed a laptop for school but he didn’t. He needed it for fun! Then after this Mr. and Mrs. Bill bought Norton a laptop. He had real fun on it until he was butting into a random website then an unexpected thing to be happened. What would Norton do?

THE END

February 26, 2021 15:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.