0 comments

Fantasy LGBTQ+ Teens & Young Adult

Redo was the main character. I knew that. I mean why else would the mystical sword choose him as its only wielder? Once I did try to touch it when both of us were asleep in the dark cave and to say in short, I have a cool scar on my hand now.

I had known Redo since we were kids. Our mother's were friends and they used to arrange many play dates for us since we were the same age. Redo had a picky attitude and ego the size of Clothe, the highest mountain in the Dente world. He was also very charismatic and a prodigy. Redo unlock his first element when we were only 6 years old, while the average to do so was 12. He was a fast learner and by the age of 9, he had mastered his core element, fire, and it's variant, lightning. Now, at the age of 17, Redo has mastered earth, water and their variants, seismic waves and ice, respectively.

Redo left the village to travel with his father at the age of 10. I lost my best friend. It was hard for me. I did not know what to do. when Redo left, I realized that my world revolved around him. I was just a bratty kid without him. With him I had purpose. Without him I was useless.

I was but a side character. Perhaps the nerdy best friend of the protagonist who either helps them all the time and is killed off for character development for the protagonist. So, I was always prepared to die. I knew I was useless in the world of elements. I had not manifested any element when I turned 12. I had not manifested any element when I was 15. When I turned 16, my parents walked on me kissing a boy. To say that they were disappointing in their only son would be an understatement. I was disowned.

I was homeless. The baker of our village took pity on me. He used to give me the bread which did not sell that day. I used to walk to the forest most days. There was a group of orphaned puppies in the forest. I brought them along with me to the dark cave. I could give the three of them some bread from which the baker gave me. But I did not know that puppies grow old really fast. They needed more food than what I could gather. I thought that they might learn to haunt but I had spoiled them. I tried to find a job but no one was willing to employ a weak and frill brat. One night when I returned to the cave with food, I found the corpses of the dogs. Eyes stared blankly at me while their blood bathed my feet. I ran away and found another cave. That was where I met Redo again. He told me I could sleep there that night and I was foolish enough to try to touch his weapon. Next morning I told him what had gone through that years since he left the village.

Redo helped me when I was homeless. He said as long as I was useful to him, he would take care of me. He was planning to be an adventurer when he took me in. He said I was resourceful but I was his collie, I carried his equipment around when he used to raid dungeons. My job was simple in hindsight but boy was I wrong. Redo often used me as bait for the monsters. I was constantly on the verge of tears and death. So accepting that I would die sooner or later was a given.

But I was never prepared to die, honestly. I am a coward and even dying scares me. "Look out!" Redo had shouted seconds before the chimera had leaped on me.

I fell on the ground on my back. Venom drooled down of the foul smelling mouth of chimera. Flames burned up my nostrils as the venom smeared through my cotton shirt. Flesh burned and it took a moment for my brain to register the burning sensation. Tears rolled down my eyes as air escaped from my lungs as a let out a shout. It was a mistake, obviously. I saw more monsters coming our way through my blurred vision.

Craning my neck, I looked for Redo. He was fighting a monster similar to the one pinning me down. Biting on my lips, I tried to prop up, emphasis on tried. The chimera lifted its front limb and claws dug into my neck. The scream that came out of my mouth did not sound natural. Looking up, I saw the duo colored eyes of the chimera. Who knew the eyes of my killer would be so beautiful.

My eyelids grew heavy. I was losing a lot of blood from my neck. I was losing consciousness. Redo was still fighting. He would not come to save me this time around. Death was near. Tears rolled down my face, in desperation and fear. I did not want to die. I did not want to die when I was so young. I wanted to be beside Redo so I could live the life of a hero vicariously through him. I wanted to go to the Citadel and learn more about the ancient planet of the solar system 37, Earth. I wanted to eat the cinnamon bread from the baker from our village. I wanted to see my family for the last time.

As the last tear went down my cheeks, I embraced the darkness. I was quiet but I could still hear the distinct sound of the mystical sword strike against the chimera's armored skin. I wished my best to Redo. I wished he could become the hero the writer wants him to be even if it means I had to die. Redo was the hero. Guess I could rest now.

The End.

August 03, 2021 15:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.