0 comments

Contemporary Romance

‘Excuse me! What do you think you are doing?’

‘Oh, crap!’

‘I beg your pardon! I will not tolerate that kind of language in here, young lady!’

‘What will you tolerate then?’

‘Certainly not what you two were doing, young man! This is a public institution… With rules! Rules that need to be obeyed!’

‘What? We were just talking.’

‘Yes! I noticed that! I could hear you two from across the hall. And, honestly, from where I’m standing, it seems that someone else is doing the talking for you.’

‘Oh, shit!’

‘Josh!!!’

‘Now, if you don’t mind, I would appreciate it if you two left right away! Before I call the security guard.’

‘Come on, Josh! Let’s go!’

‘Whatever, lady! You’re just jealous.’

‘Excuse me?!’

.....

That impudent brat! The insolence! How could he say such a thing to me! The nerve on him! I should’ve smacked that smirk off his face. And that girl! What was she thinking? How could she let him…

‘Are you ok, Clarice?!’

‘Huh!’

‘Are you well? You seem a bit flustered.’

‘Yes, yes! Thank you, Mike!’

‘Are you sure? You look just about ready to tear down this library. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t have anything against it, except for the fact that my retirement’s coming up.’

‘Hah, don’t worry, Mike! I wouldn’t do that to the books. Some of these students really have a way of getting under my skin sometimes. That’s all. Thank you, though.’

‘Think nothing of it, Clarice. Just let me know if any of them give you any more trouble.’

‘I will, Mike. Thank you!’

What’s wrong with you, Clarice?! What’s got you so riled up?

Pull yourself together already!

Now, where did I put that book? Where was I? Yes…

Whatever, lady! You’re just jealous.

The nerve on him. Jealous? Jealous of what? Jealous… oh her? Of that girl? The nerve...

Get your head on straight, Clarice Templeton. You’re a grown woman. You can’t let something a child says get to you.

Child. Well, I’m a bit harsh if I call him a child. He didn’t look like a child.

Clarice!

Right. I’ve got to finish this research for Dr. Folten.

Good! Where was I?

Damn it! How could he call me jealous? Jealous, of what? Jealous.

How could I be jealous?

Maybe I should get a coffee. Maybe it will help me focus and get this ridiculousness out of my head.

Good. Coffee, and then I’ll get right back at it.

Ok! What time is it? It’s still not too late. That’s good.

.....

‘Hello, Andrew!’

‘Hi, Clarice! What should I get you?’

‘One coffee, please. Black.'

‘No sugar as usual?’

‘No, give me some brown sugar, please.’

‘Sure thing! Coming right up… You’re planning another late night I see.’

‘Not really! I just need a little help to finish something.’

‘You’re feeling all right there? You're a bit red in the cheeks. You don’t have a fever, do you?’

‘No, no! I’m fine.’ What’s up with everybody today?

‘Ok, if you say so. I’ve got some aspirin if you want any.’

‘No, thank you! The coffee will do just fine.’

‘Ok, here you go. Card?’

‘Yes, please. Thank you!’

‘Great! Enjoy your coffee, Clarice. Take care!’

‘Thanks! You too.’

Great! I should stop by the bathroom on my way back, to see what everyone is talking about... I don’t feel feverish.

.....

Ok, maybe a bit red in the cheeks. I guess I’m tired. This coffee should fix things.

Right. Get going, Clarice. You’ve got some important research to finish.

.....

Jealous? Preposterous!

Great. Let’s continue with this research. Hmmm… Why, jealous? Did he see me watching? Was I watching? I was just looking to understand what they were doing. It’s not like I enjoyed it or anything. I was making sure I wouldn’t catch them in an inappropriate moment, that would’ve been embarrassing for all of us. Luckily I didn’t. Well, sort of…

I can’t believe that girl. He was all over her and she didn't even try to stop him. She didn’t try very much in any case. It was like she was wanting it to happen. She was waiting for it. She was expecting it, desiring it.

God, this coffee is strong, and hot. Good thing I asked for that sugar.

It’s hot. I should open a window.

There! Much better.

Where was I…

The research, yes.

Did they really think they could get away with it? She was giggling like crazy. No wonder, he had his hands all over her. I didn’t even see when his hand slipped under her shirt. Did she try to stop it?! It didn’t seem like it. He was pretty handsome for a boy…

I keep calling him a boy but I’m not sure I’m that much older than him. Maybe five-six years? He looked to be about twenty-three. That should be about right.

In any case. The mouth on him. So… vulgar.

They were in a library! How could they think they could get away with doing such a thing. And… her. She… How could she allow herself to be carried away like that.

The moment she grabbed her waist I could see it. She… she wanted it. How filthy of her. How… un-lady like.

Hmmm... His hands seemed strong. He whisked her up from her chair without any effort. Like she was a feather in his arms.

I wonder how much she weighs. She seemed pretty thin. Fifty-five, sixty kilograms maybe? Nevertheless, you CAN struggle. It would’ve been harder for him to pull her in his lap if she had struggled. But she didn’t…

What was she thinking?

To… allow him to pull her to his chest like that. His hands. His hands were all over her. Like he wanted to make sure she was there and she wouldn’t get away. Why would he do it like that? Was he afraid she would pull away from him?

She should’ve. Why didn’t she?

What was she thinking?

I would never allow someone to do something like that to me. Definitely not someone like him.

Such an arrogant boy!

The nerve on him. Jealous?

Jealous…

‘Ummm… excuse me!’

‘What? What is it?!’

‘Hi! I believe I dropped my wallet in the study room here.’

‘Sure, just…’ What? ‘You?!’

‘Yeah! Sorry about earlier. Can I go get my wallet?!’

‘It’s, Josh, right?’

‘Yeah!’

‘I’ll come with you.’

April 30, 2021 22:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.